PDA

View Full Version : any way to take the lcd screen of the Imac out?

vinchu
Oct 30, 2003, 05:36 AM
Hello all!
i would like to know if there is a way to take the lcd screen out...I ask this because now I live in USA, but I will move eventually to Spain...I hope, so I don't know...if I buy an Imac it may be a problem if it's impossible to take the lcd screen out, with the lcd screen out and a way to put it back, it should be much easier...
or should I just buy a new ibook or powerbook(older) ??
thanks to all
vinnie

latergator116
Oct 30, 2003, 05:57 AM
Id go for the iBook.

Counterfit
Oct 30, 2003, 06:25 AM
Um, why do you want to take the screen off?

vinchu
Oct 30, 2003, 07:03 AM
I would like to get the screen out, unscrewing something from the neck and dettaching it because that way it would be better and easier to take it on the plane, right? well, if somebody know if it's possible or easy, tell me...and, hmmm, the ibook is also good? the new one? I have the ibook indigo, it is much better?

G5orbust
Oct 30, 2003, 12:14 PM
Pack it up in a box and ship it home. There is no way youll ever want to carry a 30 pound computer on a plane.

mstecker
Oct 30, 2003, 12:48 PM
... and the one I thought he meant was more interesting:

Let's assume that the CPU in the lcd imacs will become effectively obsolete long before the display is.

I wonder if there will be some clever person who will figure out how to sell me a kit to cannibalize my G4 iMac to use the monitor on my new G6 powermac.

jamesatzones
Oct 30, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
Pack it up in a box and ship it home. There is no way youll ever want to carry a 30 pound computer on a plane.

And get it insured, that way if anything does happen you are taken care of...

Pooldraft
Nov 20, 2004, 11:11 PM
Hey i am looking at doing some geek modding and am looking for a iMac G4 monitor with or without the neck can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks :D

-Jesse

superbovine
Nov 21, 2004, 12:37 AM
I would like to get the screen out, unscrewing something from the neck and dettaching it because that way it would be better and easier to take it on the plane, right? well, if somebody know if it's possible or easy, tell me...and, hmmm, the ibook is also good? the new one? I have the ibook indigo, it is much better?

Usually want happens if you move oversees if you have a house anyways, is you get a 20 ft container and pay freight for it on a boat then a truck picks it up and delivers it to the new house. When you send the container it will be sent CIF (cost, insurance, and freight). However, if you don't have a house or enought stuff to for your own container, just ship it and insure it. don't be an idiot and try to take it on the plane. You can't insure baggage for the price of a iMac. I think American Airlines is around $600 when i lost my bags. Also the Bracelona, if you fly in there, is pretty good about lossing your bags. Your'll understand when you see it.

Another problem with traveling with a taken apart computer is from your name i gather that you have probably Asian, which is something we have in common. If you are traveling as a single non-white male in Europe you ass has a high probablity of being searched. Explaining why you have a takening apart computer in your bag is going to fun.

Abstract
Nov 21, 2004, 02:32 AM
Get a laptop. Taking the monitor off an iMac doesn't make it any easier to transport an iMac. Sorry, but I don't see how. Its just more hassle than needed, and you may void a warranty since you're not supposed to take the LCD out of the frame.

Get an iBook, plus a 512 MB stick of RAM from another store. The iBook is much faster than what you're upgrading from.