PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried about buying a used powerbook w/ a new logic board?

Adokimus
Mar 6, 2008, 11:45 AM
Ok, I'm still working on this deal to buy a used 12" PB. The seller says that she just replaced the logic board, hard drive, and battery. Now, I see this as a negative. Obviously the computer was having problems, she spent a bunch of money fixing it, and is now selling it anyway. What do you think? Is it a negative that it had problems and needed to be fixed? Or is it a positive that it has a brand new logic board that will theoretically last longer than an original one?

Thanks for any help!

(p.s. - I'll probably have more questions before the deal is finalized:p)

Adokimus
Mar 6, 2008, 02:25 PM
anybody?

please please?

rezonat0r
Mar 6, 2008, 02:27 PM
Have you tried actually asking why those components were replaced?

Why buy a computer with a deprecated CPU anyway? Get a refurb Intel with a full 1-year warranty.

NC MacGuy
Mar 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
That's a tough one. If the price is REALLY good, yeah I'd buy it. On the other hand, I've had logic boards repaired/replaced before and sometimes you may not see a problem until it gets "burned in" properly. If it were me and price isn't compelling, i'd pass.

The 12" PB was my second favorite computer next to my recently purchased Air.

It also makes a difference if the seller is someone you know and trust.

Good luck with this one.

jjahshik32
Mar 6, 2008, 05:17 PM
Yes be very worried, I've seen alot of powerbooks with new logic boards which always worked for the next few months when the logic board died again.

Adokimus
Mar 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, so I didn't think I was going to buy this because the asking price was too high, but the seller just came back to me because she hasn't sold it. It's the most recent 12" PB with the 1.5 GHz processor and in decent physical shape for about $500.

Is this worth the risk for a repaired logic board? I need some good advice asap. I'm concerned about the one comment to be very worried.

Thanks!!

fredrickyoon
Mar 19, 2008, 12:43 PM
Does it come with AppleCare? If not, I would stick with purchasing a refurbished one from the AppleStore instead. Even though the logic board's been replaced, you don't want the hassle of having it fail after you've purchased it from the buyer and have aggrevation and problems.

Adokimus
Mar 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
Does it come with AppleCare? If not, I would stick with purchasing a refurbished one from the AppleStore instead. Even though the logic board's been replaced, you don't want the hassle of having it fail after you've purchased it from the buyer and have aggrevation and problems.

No Apple care. I'm just one of those chumps who loves the old 12" PB design too much for his own good.

Has anyone had their logic board replaced only to have it fail again?