Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AREM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sorry if this has been created before, but I thought it might be nice to have a list of requested apps that developers can look through and get some ideas.

Also, its a great way for developers to get a sense of what us users really want.

Here is my list.

1. LCARS

LCARS, or 'Library Computer Access Retrieval System', as any hardcore Star Trek fan will know, is the touch screen menu system that is used heavily on Star Trek. All of the starships are equipped with this computer system. They include voice commands and entirely touch based menus. I, as a hardcore Trekkie as most of us surely are, would absolutely LOVE to see an LCARS app that simulates one of the padds that are used frequently on the show. Have the app complete with authentic sound effects, computer voice (performed effortlessly by Majel Barrett-Roddenberry), and even look into using the mic on the iPhone for some basic voice commands.

With access to the iPhone apps, LCARS could even be used to control other apps and functions, all with the trademark Star Trek LCARS menu system.

Basically, it would just be a really, really, geeky and totally bad ass app to show off to friends and fellow Trekkies. Having a Tricorder app on my iPhone would be the most amazing celebration of geekness in the world.

Here is what TR-580 Tricorder VII looks like.

http://www.brain-junk.ch/uploads/Sci-Fi/tricorder2.jpg

And here is what the new Mark VII Tricorder style, and IMO better suited to the iPhone.

http://www.geocities.com/startrek_challenger/thumb_TricorderMarkXI.jpg

For those interested in pursuing this app, here are two websites describing the menu and providing visual examples.

http://www.lcarscom.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCARS

2. Mac Rumors

A native Mac Rumors app would be just fantastic. Have an area for live text and picture updates for Apple keynotes, an area for normal updates on the site, and just basic optimized access to the site, running on the phone.

I'll try and think of some more apps to post.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
2. Mac Rumors

A native Mac Rumors app would be just fantastic. Have an area for live text and picture updates for Apple keynotes, an area for normal updates on the site, and just basic optimized access to the site, running on the phone.

I like this idea... I don't know...
I'll feel like an idiot if there is, but I don't think that we even have an iPhone web-app page on Macrumors, do we? :confused:

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
My ideas

Im thirteen years old. I got my iPod touch, not for work or productivity or anything like that... I want some games^^

My proposed ideas:

•Wheel of Fortune - would be perfect. slide your finger across the finger to spin the wheel and use the keypad to guess letters and solve

•Monopoly - maybe shake the iPod to roll dice... the board is rectangular like the iPhone screen so it shouldn't be cramped at all

•Bowling - if you've ever used a wii remote... well... maybe it would be just like that?

•Labyrinth - the same as it is on a jailbroken iPhone

•iPod classic emulator - two-in-one iPod. access your music, videos, and pictures if possible?

•Piano/Guitar Emulator - great way to practice (maybe not)

•The Sims - probably would be the most popular app but memory and battery would be a problem

•A Racing Game - use your iPhone as the steering wheel

•Remote Computer Access - befree is nice, but web browser kills it

•Photo Editing - always fun

These are some apps that I have thought of, but if I think of any more I'll update this. Respond please friek4@gmail.com

uwguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
I disagree. A square is a type of rectangle. A rectangle is generally defined as "a parallelogram with four right angles" [1] which to me seems to be more general definition of a square. If we look at the first definition of the word square we see that a square is "a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles". So really, squares are a subset of the set of possible rectangles.

[1]: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=rectangle
[2]: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=square

AREM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008

I couldn't see anything when I clicked the link.......

And I totally agree with the idea for an iPod emulator. Complete with a click wheel! Damn, that would be so cool.

Also, if someone could write a visual recognition program where you could take a pic of something, and it would identify it. That would rock.

themightyspitz

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I was just thinking about an iPod emulator the other day. One would be handy for playing iPod games on the iPhone or iPod Touch.

For me, I would personally like to see some form of Keynote, Pages, and Numbers on there. Palms can already do doc creation on theirs, so I would like to see something like that.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I dont care. a square is still a rectangle... I was just being less specific. thats exactly what I meant... well maybe you could use a square section of the screen for the board and have the bottom section show your money and property. why does it matter lol? why is everyone so against me? lol

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
new idea...

a texting app for iPod touch using email. log in using your email address and access your contact book through it. then, you could send and recieve text messages for free (-cost of app)

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
how about an app to access and use your myspace page and look at friends's myspace through an iPhone-friendly interface?

~*allison*~

macrumors regular
I suggest a Landscape texting app. so the keys are widely spaced.

I hope they have something like this. I like the way the whole texting program is set up on the phone already, I just wish that we'd be able to use it in landscape mode. They should make an update that would allow us to do this. It would be a lot easier (for me anyway) with a little space inbetween the letters.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
how about an insaniquarium-like game? feed the fish by clicking on the screen, rotate iPhone to move water, shake iPhone to bring up buy menu...?

lopsidedelf

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
App for Rapping

I would love to see an iphone app that lets you use the iphone headphones to listen to a beat and then use the mic on the headphones to rap over the beats and record the rap over the beat. Good idea or am i alone on this one?

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
What I would like to see is some way of taking a note or recording whilst you are taking a phone call.

I frequently have people I'm speaking to on the phone give out say telephone numbers or directions or any other info like date, location and time of an appointment. Often you don't have a pen and paper handy to write these down so it would be good if you could type into the iphone a telephone number, name, address, driving directions, appointment location and time ANYTHING really . I can't do this with my existing phone.

Maybe you could have a record call feature where you could say to the caller OK I'm going to record you say your telephone number and any important details. So record the info then stop recording to save for later.

Then how about voice to speach recognition so the recorded call could be converted to a text note??.

If this is not possible then you could play back the recording note the information and then erase it. But maybe the recording could be done external to your iphone, like an answer phone. This could be a whole new service.

It's ironic that sometimes missed calls can be more useful than if you take the call as you have a permanent record of the recorded call and they usually only give you the essential info like numbers, directions etc.

So a make recording or notes during a call feature please Mr or Miss Application Makers.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
What I would like to see is some way of taking a note or recording whilst you are taking a phone call.

I frequently have people I'm speaking to on the phone give out say telephone numbers or directions or any other info like date, location and time of an appointment. Often you don't have a pen and paper handy to write these down so it would be good if you could type into the iphone a telephone number, name, address, driving directions, appointment location and time ANYTHING really . I can't do this with my existing phone.

Maybe you could have a record call feature where you could say to the caller OK I'm going to record you say your telephone number and any important details. So record the info then stop recording to save for later.

Then how about voice to speach recognition so the recorded call could be converted to a text note??.

If this is not possible then you could play back the recording note the information and then erase it. But maybe the recording could be done external to your iphone, like an answer phone. This could be a whole new service.

It's ironic that sometimes missed calls can be more useful than if you take the call as you have a permanent record of the recorded call and they usually only give you the essential info like numbers, directions etc.

So a make recording or notes during a call feature please Mr or Miss Application Makers.

Note taking possible already: Just press the home button while you're in a call...then tap Notes. (to show that you're still on the call, there's a green bar at the top that says tap to return to call...but you're still talking with them)
Recording not possible...because only one app can be running at the same time (SDK terms of service...so while the application makers can do it for themselves, they won't be allowed to distribute it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.