PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist 12" PowerBook, running leopard, no discs...

Adokimus
Mar 6, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi, couple quick questions I could really use help with... I'm working on the final details of a craigslist sale: 12" PB 1.5GHz, running Leopard and iLife '08. The catch, in my opinion, is that the seller says he doesn't have the install discs with it. What should I be worried about? I had wanted to do a clean install after purchasing it, but I mostly want to make sure he installed a legit copy. Is there any way to check that when picking it up? Also, I know this isn't windows, but should I be worried about anything a malicious seller might leave on the PB in terms of spyware? He wants $600, is this a good deal?

Thanks!

NeoMayhem
Mar 6, 2008, 11:12 PM
No disk for leopard means he probably installed it on a few computers and is keeping the DVD. No way to check if it is a legit copy.

Spyware is not an issue on Leopard, and you can easily see what is installed and runs at startup to be sure.

Ugg
Mar 7, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm always hesitant to buy a computer that doesn't come with either the discs of the OS that's on it or at the very least, the original discs. However, it really depends upon who the seller is.

One thing you do know is that he had to have used a Leopard upgrade disc. Original install discs from an iMac or Macbook, etc, won't work.

If you ever have an OS issue and need to boot from the install disc, you're obviously going to have problems.

$600 seems like a fair deal for it but I'd tell him that without the install discs, he needs to take $119 dollars off as that is how much it'll cost you to buy Leopard.

tony-in-japan
Mar 7, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have a 12" Powerbook and originally it should come with Tiger install discs, so for the seller to not have either Tiger or the new Leopard discs is a bit strange. You need to ask him/her why they are missing.

Like someone else said, it would be problematic if you encounter any problems and need to boot from an install disc. You would eventually have to buy yourself a copy of Leopard.

Also, if Leopard is already installed, then the settings on it (e.g. user names/passwords) will have already been entered. Ideally, you would want a fresh install to be able to personalise it to you.

nhcowboy1
Mar 7, 2008, 06:26 AM
No disk for leopard means he probably installed it on a few computers and is keeping the DVD. No way to check if it is a legit copy.

"Legit copy" - isn't that inherently contradictory? Either it's legit - meaning it comes with the original discs - or it's a copy. If it's a copy, then it's infringing the copyright. One disc -> one working installation. That's it.

If OP is looking at the machine I think he is, with only 768 MB ram, and it doesn't come with the Leopard discs, then he's overpaying.

If he's buying a machine with no OS X discs whatsoever, then he's really overpaying! I'd buy a system without original installation discs only if I were getting a good enough price to justify my then having to go out and spend the money to replace those discs. And it would have to be a really good price . . . .

Adokimus
Mar 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
"Legit copy" - isn't that inherently contradictory? Either it's legit - meaning it comes with the original discs - or it's a copy. If it's a copy, then it's infringing the copyright. One disc -> one working installation. That's it.

If OP is looking at the machine I think he is, with only 768 MB ram, and it doesn't come with the Leopard discs, then he's overpaying.

If he's buying a machine with no OS X discs whatsoever, then he's really overpaying! I'd buy a system without original installation discs only if I were getting a good enough price to justify my then having to go out and spend the money to replace those discs. And it would have to be a really good price . . . .

You got the right one. What would you think was a fair price?

nhcowboy1
Mar 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
You got the right one. What would you think was a fair price?

Easier way to look at it would be to ask what a fair price would be if it had maxed-out ram (1.25 gb), original install discs and Leopard discs. Mac2Sell (http://www.mac2sell.net/) prices that machine at $620 - without taking Leopard into consideration. So figure you shouldn't pay more than that for the machine, the ram, and the original install discs. That puts your actual purchase price for the machine itself quite a bit lower.

I remain concerned about the lack of install discs. I'm sure there are plenty of possible reasons for this, but it could indicate stolen computer . . .

tdhurst
Mar 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
I can see how someone wouldn't have their original install discs, I have the same model powerbook and I'm lucky that I've kept mine. In that time, I've upgraded it to both Tiger and Leopard (family pack for both) and I wouldn't want to give away either of those.

Granted, original discs are always a plus, but lots of people just don't keep track of them once they upgrade.

SilentPanda
Mar 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Not having install disks can also mean the item was stolen. Not saying this one is... but thieves generally don't bother grabbing those kind of things.

Adokimus
Mar 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
Do you think if I bought the PB that I could take it to a genius bar and have them do a clean Leopard install with me? It would make sense that they would have copies of Leopard that they use when fixing computers, but I imagine it would depend on the luck of the draw and how nice/understanding the genius would be. My guess is that they wouldn't want to help because it would promote people upgrading older machines to Leopard and then selling them without the software, but I've heard of Apple doing crazier/nicer things before. If I'm upfront and honest with them, do you think it would even be worth a shot?

SilentPanda
Mar 7, 2008, 01:44 PM
They wouldn't install the OS for you unless you had the discs. Any time I've brought my Macs to the Apple stores for repair they ask me to bring the installation discs.

tdhurst
Mar 7, 2008, 02:06 PM
Not having install disks can also mean the item was stolen. Not saying this one is... but thieves generally don't bother grabbing those kind of things.

Hell, not always. I had my first powerbook stolen from me (1.33 17") and they took all the cords, searched and found all my software, extra cables, hard drives, etc. It was ridiculous. It looked like I had never owned a piece of apple hardware in my life.

mperkins37
Mar 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.
I have install discs for each computer I've ever owned. Unless he can come up with at least the tiger discs it came with it is in all probability a stolen item.
BAD KARMA & a large price-tag for having it.
Look on Ebay for a reputable seller that has all the accessories & install discs.
Chances are you can find a much better deal there.
Craig's List is full of scammers & Thieves, it's the new fencing op for the new millennium.

BTW Appleretailguy, LOVE the sig.:D

Adokimus
Mar 7, 2008, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.
I have install discs for each computer I've ever owned. Unless he can come up with at least the tiger discs it came with it is in all probability a stolen item.
BAD KARMA & a large price-tag for having it.
Look on Ebay for a reputable seller that has all the accessories & install discs.
Chances are you can find a much better deal there.
Craig's List is full of scammers & Thieves, it's the new fencing op for the new millennium.

BTW Appleretailguy, LOVE the sig.:D

The thing is, I actually prefer craigslist over eBay because I get a face to face transaction, I can arrange to meet in a public place, and I can inspect the item first. Prices also seem even more ridiculously inflated on eBay (likely due to scammers bidding on items). I honestly doubt the PB is stolen, but I believe an earlier poster is correct that the seller likely installed Leopard to raise his asking price and wants to keep the disc for his other machines. Though, to be sure, not everyone is as religious about keeping their discs as your or I, so he may have just lost them.

nhcowboy1
Mar 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
Do you think if I bought the PB that I could take it to a genius bar and have them do a clean Leopard install with me?

Let's be clear here: getting an unauthorized copy of Leopard does not make you a lawful owner of Leopard entitled to a free installation if you visit your local Apple store. Let's say you had a $100 bill you accidentally dropped in front of your lawnmower. You could not take an old photograph of the intact $100 bill, go to the bank and say, "See, I made a copy of it. That proves I owned it. Can you replace it for me now?" Nope, you'd be out of luck. You prove ownership of the $100 bill by having possession of the bill. Same thing goes for software. If you own the disk, that gives you the right to use the software. If you don't own the disk, you shouldn't be using the software.

With regard to your craigslist seller, I'd be especially wary if he can't do a clean install for you. If he actually had possession of the Leopard disc, but just didn't want to part with it, he'd be able to do a clean install for you. If he can't do a clean install, because he doesn't have access to the disk, that makes it more likely the machine was stolen.

As someone here has already pointed out, neither Leopard or the computer will be of any value to you without a clean install - unless you have some way of divining the prior user's password . . . .

As before, I'd caution against this transaction. But you have to follow your own instincts . . . maybe it will turn out fine.

tony-in-japan
Mar 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
neither Leopard or the computer will be of any value to you without a clean install - unless you have some way of divining the prior user's password . . . .

The key to your transaction is knowing the password on the Powerbook, otherwise how are you going to install new applications and updates? It is useless.

So the minimum here if you donít receive any install discs is to either ask him for the password or get him/her to do a fresh install with your requested details. If he/she can do neither, then it is a little fishy, in my opinion. All genuine owners would know the passwords to their computers.

tdhurst
Mar 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have a 12" powerbook I'm looking to sell in a month...and I have the original install discs...

Adokimus
Mar 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
The key to your transaction is knowing the password on the Powerbook, otherwise how are you going to install new applications and updates? It is useless.

So the minimum here if you donít receive any install discs is to either ask him for the password or get him/her to do a fresh install with your requested details. If he/she can do neither, then it is a little fishy, in my opinion. All genuine owners would know the passwords to their computers.

Yeah, he said it has a "fresh install of leopard" so I'm assuming he just set up a generic password to transfer. I honestly don't believe it's stolen. I just think he installed Leopard to raise the price, but wants to keep the disc for himself. So, yeah... workin on the details, might go with a different seller.