PDA

View Full Version : Why Apple's SDK finally justifies iPhone hype

MacBytes
Mar 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Why Apple's SDK finally justifies iPhone hype (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080307092745)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iMpathetic
Mar 7, 2008, 08:29 AM
Spot-on. I truly believe that the iPhone is leading a revolution that will shape how we compute for many years to come.

edesignuk
Mar 7, 2008, 08:31 AM
Indeed, the advent of the SDK and hopefully many simple, cheap, but useful and slick applications is really going to make the iPhone something special.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with Android though, also due out later this year.

shadowfax
Mar 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
"My Kingdom for iPhone Firefox?" Are you freaking kidding me?

elppa
Mar 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
"My Kingdom for iPhone Firefox?" Are you freaking kidding me?

Gecko (the rendering engine behind Firefox) isn't technically good as WebKit. It has worse standard support and wouldn't run as well on a mobile device.

Work is being done on this by the Mozilla team, but they have some catching up to do on WebKit and Opera, who lead the class.

WebKit is open source and used on Android as well. So if Gecko was ported to iPhone OS (**right this moment**), I doubt the author would use it as it would be very slow.

zelmo
Mar 7, 2008, 03:21 PM
I agree. While I hovered over the refresh button:D at engadget, I got the sense that I was witnessing an event not unlike that shareholder meeting at which a Mac was pulled from a bag and said hello. A door was opened yesterday, and we'll all walk through it in June 2008.

Shadow
Mar 7, 2008, 04:52 PM
I agree. While I hovered over the refresh button:D at engadget, I got the sense that I was witnessing an event not unlike that shareholder meeting at which a Mac was pulled from a bag and said hello. A door was opened yesterday, and we'll all walk through it in June 2008.

I agree. Hopefully the iPhone/iPod touch will turn into an industry standard.

Loge
Mar 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
The article is rather spoiled by presenting it as a "change of tune" by Jobs, and that it was mostly a reaction to Google's platform.

IJ Reilly
Mar 7, 2008, 05:49 PM
The article is rather spoiled by presenting it as a "change of tune" by Jobs, and that it was mostly a reaction to Google's platform.

Exactly my thought. According to some (including many people here), Apple never does anything right unless they were forced into it.

And when using the word "hype" in an article like this, I think it should be mandatory to specify what hype and who is doing the hyping. The implication is that the product isn't half as good as advertised. Hardly anybody who bought an iPhone concluded that it was misrepresented. Enough of the hype hype!

wnurse
Mar 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
Exactly my thought. According to some (including many people here), Apple never does anything right unless they were forced into it.

And when using the word "hype" in an article like this, I think it should be mandatory to specify what hype and who is doing the hyping. The implication is that the product isn't half as good as advertised. Hardly anybody who bought an iPhone concluded that it was misrepresented. Enough of the hype hype!

Dear Thin skinned apple fan:

Tiger Woods was hyped coming out of college, did that imply he wasn't as good as advertised?

Shaq was hyped coming out of college, did that mean he wasn't as good as advertised?.

Sincerely,
The rest of us tired of listening to thin skinned apple fans whining about any coverage, regardless of how positive or negative it is.

IJ Reilly
Mar 7, 2008, 07:04 PM
Dear Thin skinned apple fan:

Tiger Woods was hyped coming out of college, did that imply he wasn't as good as advertised?

Shaq was hyped coming out of college, did that mean he wasn't as good as advertised?.

Sincerely,
The rest of us tired of listening to thin skinned apple fans whining about any coverage, regardless of how positive or negative it is.

Let us know when you have an actual contribution to make to the discussion.

shadowfax
Mar 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
Gecko (the rendering engine behind Firefox) isn't technically good as WebKit. It has worse standard support and wouldn't run as well on a mobile device.

Right, my point exactly. Firefox's Gecko is not that great IMHO. It's not so fast, and, even though it's plenty fast on a nice computer, it's rather resource-intensive. Safari has a bad habit of keeping too much crap in memory, but the renderer is extremely lean and efficient.

And I really don't get his plugin thing. None of them would work, people would have to make "iPhone" Firefox plugins. I think that would just get busy and annoying. Safari has the right idea--everything you need to browse the web, no pointless plugins or any superfluous UI elements. If you added more than a button or two to Safari, it would start to get extremely busy and cluttered, I think.

I want to see iPhone Safari get faster, not get an even slower browser on my phone. Just a measure of CYA on my comment: by plugins, I don't mean flash, I mean UI add-ons like Mac/Windows Firefox has. I am not stepping on the toes of anyone who's dying for flash (though I personally don't give a crap about it).

solvs
Mar 8, 2008, 01:56 AM
Firefox's Gecko is not that great IMHO. It's not so fast, and, even though it's plenty fast on a nice computer, it's rather resource-intensive. Safari has a bad habit of keeping too much crap in memory, but the renderer is extremely lean and efficient.

And I really don't get his plugin thing. None of them would work, people would have to make "iPhone" Firefox plugins.
The only reason I use FF on my (fairly speedy) computers is because of the plugins. Most of which I wouldn't need on my iPhone. Would be nice to have better support with Hotmail, but other than that, Safari is fine. I wouldn't bet against some kind of version of FF on it though eventually.

Let us know when you have an actual contribution to make to the discussion.
At least he didn't call us fanbois.

nagromme
Mar 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thou Shalt Not Defend Apple. Ever.

Otherwise the thin-skinned Microsoft tolerators and conspiracy theorists will come out of the woodwork :)

IJ Reilly
Mar 8, 2008, 10:39 AM
At least he didn't call us fanbois.

Actually he did. ;)

Thou Shalt Not Defend Apple. Ever.

Otherwise the thin-skinned Microsoft tolerators and conspiracy theorists will come out of the woodwork :)

Incidentally, "hype" is shorthand for "hyperbole," which is defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." So I am still wondering who has made exaggerated statements or claims about the iPhone, what they were, and why they are now finally justified. I mean, that is supposed to be the entire gist of the article, is it not?

But I guess even pointing out the use of lazy, cliched and ultimately meaningless rhetoric makes me (speaking of cliched and ultimately meaningless rhetoric), a whining, thin-skinned Apple fan.