Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a MacBook because I learned that XCode 3.1 requires a MacIntel host. I have an Intel iMac and a G4 iBook and I was thinking of keeping the iBook so I could test compatibility with Universal Binary programs that I write. Now that I'm getting a MacBook, I wonder if it's really necessary to retain the iBook for the sole purpose of testing UB or can I go ahead and sell it. I appreciate any advice.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Unless you really need the cash it's nice to have a PowerPC machine around for testing. My environment is mostly Intel Mac minis but I still have a Power Mac G4 or two around.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
It depends on the kind of programming you'll be doing. I have a PPC for testing, but I've found I use it 99% of the time for testing on 10.4 and older operating systems, instead of just testing endian issues. And really you won't need to test UB unless you're working with binary files or socket communication.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Thanks! I did suspect that it's nice to keep a PPC Mac for testing but I wasn't sure how much use I'd get from that. Based on your responses, it looks like it could be quite a bit.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You probably won't need to test as much as you think. You just have to remember to play it smart with endian issues when you come across them, and use the CFSwap*() functions (or equivalent in another API).

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
You probably won't need to test as much as you think. You just have to remember to play it smart with endian issues when you come across them, and use the CFSwap*() functions (or equivalent in another API).

Thanks again! Yes, I have been burned in the past by endian issues on a different platform and it took a couple of hours with a debugger before I realized it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.