PDA

View Full Version : How good PR is this. The builder of the Big Mac actually co...

MacBytes
Oct 30, 2003, 02:00 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: How good PR is this.
The builder of the Big Mac actually comes out and says that Intel lost Mhz Game :)
And this is from probably the Biggest switcher ever. Never touched a mac before.
And now he is getting requests on how to build more of these cheap powerful supercomputers.

:) (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61005,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Mr. Anderson
Oct 30, 2003, 02:09 PM
Great friggin article.....Srinidhi Varadarajan - the new nerd superhero....:D

I'm really curious as to what sort of final numbers they can come up with - since it was originally spec'd to be #2.

D

innervision
Oct 30, 2003, 03:41 PM
"Expect to see a lot more G5 clusters from now on," [Varadarajan] said.

that's good news... mb a big cluster could take #1?

also, they still haven't upgraded to 10.3 --> further speed increases?

Qunchuy
Oct 30, 2003, 03:54 PM
Never mind the MegaHertz -- Intel lost the GigaHertz battle.

Rocket Rion
Oct 30, 2003, 06:57 PM
Don't you think it's weird that the article says they paid the full $3000 for each G5? Wouldn't they get the educational discount, even if they couldn't get a volume discount? Very weird!

Well I hope they got the $100 coupon, at least.

Genie
Oct 30, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Rion
Don't you think it's weird that the article says they paid the full $3000 for each G5? Wouldn't they get the educational discount, even if they couldn't get a volume discount? Very weird!
Well I hope they got the $100 coupon, at least.

I think they got tons of free tech support and probably other perq's.
I'm glad they're saying the paid full price, though, and WOW what a cool advertisement for Apple!

Mr.Hey
Oct 30, 2003, 10:19 PM
Since the average supercomputer cost more than 5mill, I'm sure they were happy to pay full price for these babies :).

MacBandit
Oct 31, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
Since the average supercomputer cost more than 5mill, I'm sure they were happy to pay full price for these babies :).

The average supercomputer cost more than 20mil that's what's so cool about this project.