Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Someone please tell me the basics about Pro Tools! If this has already been posted or something (I couldn't find it with search) Then I'll happily delete the thread so it doesn't up my post count, but, I am so confused. I have Logic express, and I want to use Pro Tools as well, to see which I like better. I go to Digidesign's website and I'm looking at all this pro tools stuff.. It's all audio interfaces and hardware and stuff! Isn't Pro Tools a program? I thought it was a program very similar to Logic except in certain places (like features and interface) that I could purchase and use to see which I liked better. I'm getting an Apogee Duet a little later this year for my recording needs (hopefully it'll last me most of my life, from what I hear, it's a very nice product), which I know is a Logic-oriented product, but I want to be fair. I know more professional musicians (I think?) use Pro Tools than like Logic and Cubase and stuff, but can someone clear this up to me..Exactly what is pro tools...?

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Also, when someone responds to this, I have another question:

Is there like a certain type of person I could go to to ask for help with determining what kind of stuff I should buy to set up a very basic recording studio type thing? Just wondering if there's a certain career that is heavily involved with that kind of stuff that I could seek someone out of that job to ask for some help...thanks.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
digidesign (and m-audio) make hardware and software. you need either digi or m-audio hardware to run protools.

the software has 3 levels: PT-M (for m-audio gear), PTLE (native s/w on digi hardware like the mbox), and PTHD (which runs on their expensive hardware).

the s/w itself seems to make the most sense to those who grew up using tape and mixing desks (like me).

if you want to try it, you won't be able to d/load it from digi, you'll have to head to GC or somesuch.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
A big reason why protools is so popular is because a lot of people have it, and you can take your session from one studio and plug it into another studio easily. Buy also, its the only program that has hardware powered plugins.

I think logic would be a great program for your needs. And vst plugins (the kind that logic uses) are cheaper than rtas or tdm.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
All right, that makes sense, I suppose...So I guess Pro Tools isn't something I'll be owning myself then. Atleast not now. What is GC, by the way?

GC = guitar center

PT is affordable, if you go with PT-M or PTLE. it's PTHD (or what many people mean when they say "Pro Tools") is several thousand to tens of thousands, depending on what you get.

but it won't run on your duet, sorry.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Well, the Duet isn't a 100% given. But considering I already own Logic, love the interface, and need a high-quality audio interface (and the Duet happens to be made for Logic), as well as the fact that it won't be 'til I'm out of college for a while before I can start working on a recording studio of my own (My dream is when I get my house, I will have my own small studio in my basement. Still nothing super-elabourate, but good enough for a dedicated hobby). That's all a ways off. Can anybody give me any really big reasons why a Duet plus my Logic and such isn't a good combo? Or why Pro Tools would be better? Just wondering what all my options are, and why..

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Is there like a certain type of person I could go to to ask for help with determining what kind of stuff I should buy to set up a very basic recording studio type thing? Just wondering if there's a certain career that is heavily involved with that kind of stuff that I could seek someone out of that job to ask for some help...thanks.

The Library.

Go and get yourself some books, and magazines. There is a sticky on this subforum that goes through the basics, and has a list of books and mags. The magazines often run "how to" and "setting up a home studio" articles, as well as reviews of studio equipment.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
logic and the duet will be a good combo to get started with. But this hobby is very expensive, and you'll probably find the duet isnt going to meet your needs when you really get going. (which might be a long time down the line) ..... Don't choose a interface because its "made for logic" but get one that has great sounding components and has the right I/O for your needs...

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
logic and the duet will be a good combo to get started with. But this hobby is very expensive, and you'll probably find the duet isnt going to meet your needs when you really get going. (which might be a long time down the line) ..... Don't choose a interface because its "made for logic" but get one that has great sounding components and has the right I/O for your needs...

Oh, I didn't choose the Duet for that reason alone, or even mainly for that reason..From what I've heard, Apogee's products have great sound quality, and the breakout cable/size is something I absolutely adore. Considering I spend a lot of time away from home, the Duet is really something for my basic college/high school recording time when I need to work with new sounds. I don't usually work with other people while recording, so, that's not a big issue. I understand it's expensive, and that it won't be all I need, especially not forever, but it's a start for me.

Also, about the library, I try to read as much as I can to have an idea, but, I have really issued with things that I don't understand. When I don't understand a subject, I find it impossible to read and interpret guidelines/outlines, especially for something as expensive as this. It's not that I'm completely helpless, but some additional, real-person help would help me a ton.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
apogee does make great sounding products. But the $500 do everything product wont sound as good as the $2000 do one thing product.... More often than not, in this industry, you get what you pay for.

Oh, and if you fly me up and pay me $200 a day I'll be more than happy to help you out.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
apogee does make great sounding products. But the $500 do everything product wont sound as good as the $2000 do one thing product.... More often than not, in this industry, you get what you pay for.

Oh, and if you fly me up and pay me $200 a day I'll be more than happy to help you out.

I understand that, which is why I want the Duet over a more expensive thing because one: I'm in high school, and two: I expect it to last me for my basic and on-the-go uses for quite a few years.

And sure, as long as you understand that at that rate, I'll be bankrupt in 3/4 of a day :p

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Can anybody give me any really big reasons why a Duet plus my Logic and such isn't a good combo? Or why Pro Tools would be better? Just wondering what all my options are, and why..

pick your software first, then your hardware. i wouldn't dump money into any DAW software until you've had a chance to try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.