PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade my dad to get me an ipod touch?

Machorror
Mar 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi! This is my first post. Please help me persuade my dad to buy me a $400 16GB ipod touch. If you have naything please help me out.:)
And here is a keynote I have to persuade my dad.
Please post your comments or anything else here thank you!
P.S. I couldnt put the keynote because it was to big of a file. So here are some pics of the keynote.

MBHockey
Mar 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
If it's your own money, why do you have to ask your dad?

ebouwman
Mar 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
You're making a keynote to explain why :confused:

RU still in high school?
What i would start to pull out is how it would help keep you organized because of the calendars and contacts, and on the fly research for school projects on it's wi-fi :rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Mar 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
OP, to be perfectly honest, I would forgo the slideshow. How about you go to an Apple retail store with him and show him how cool they are and how much your life would be better if you had one? (They won't make your life better, but you have to make him believe that it will). Or, you can just ask him for 400 dollars and go buy it yourself.

benlangdon
Mar 7, 2008, 10:31 PM
why don't you do something productive so that when you ask him you can say i have a job or something instead of saying i made a keynote presentation which sucks btw.:D

i am guessing you do not know about fallacies
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
now study, understand, apply

your arguments will actually have something to them now

Eärendil
Mar 7, 2008, 10:33 PM
What if you just get good grades, do your homework, and help out your dad, or at least wash his car on weekends.

Dude dont mention a thing about jailbreak, believe me.....

ebouwman
Mar 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
OP, to be perfectly honest, I would forgo the slideshow. How about you go to an Apple retail store with him and show him how cool they are and how much your life would be better if you had one? (They won't make your life better, but you have to make him believe that it will). Or, you can just ask him for 400 dollars and go buy it yourself.

I agree, when i was working in a electronics store, i noticed that for some people if you just kept showing them more and more of the features they would just sit there and watch you explain the device and just want it more and more and more.

Sit him down at an apple store or best buy or whatever and just go through what it does, i don't know how tech savvy your dad is, but if he's like a lot of parents he probably doesn't know what it does or why anybody would want one.

davidwarren
Mar 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
maybe persuade him with $400?

aethelbert
Mar 7, 2008, 10:37 PM
I personally think that you should save up and buy it yourself. You'll be much happier if you earn it yourself. But hey, kids in America? Like that will happen, haha.

And if someone is gonna spoon feed you an expensive toy, why can't you just get the base 8GB? With our current economic situation, I think that your parents might have more important things to spend their money on. And if they do buy you the iPod, do you have to make them pay more so that you can get more storage? If you're reasoning for getting 16GB is "because you want it," please don't make them fork even more money out for you just because you want it.

maybe persuade him with $400?
That also works.

BrownManUPS
Mar 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't know how old you are, but if your dad protects your internet at home you MIGHT want to not bring up the fact that there are no parental controls out there native on the touch :X

ebouwman
Mar 7, 2008, 10:39 PM
dont mention a thing about jailbreak, believe me.....

VERY good point, the word almost sounds like it has a negative feeling about it, ESPECIALLY if he doesn't know what it is.

First impressions are lasting impressions, and the first questions he'll ask is, "why do they call it jailbreaking?" and he'll take it in a negative way.

ebouwman
Mar 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
I don't know how old you are, but if your dad protects your internet at home you MIGHT want to not bring up the fact that there are no parental controls out there native on the touch :X

OMG i was asked that when this parent was completely sold on it. But then of course she turned away from it :mad:

But a way to get around that is the fact that schools' wi-fi are protected so that you can't go onto those kinds of sites there.

Machorror
Mar 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you for all these posts. THank you for all of your posts. Keep on posting if you have any advice for me.

ebouwman
Mar 7, 2008, 10:46 PM
Are you paying for this or is your dad?

Machorror
Mar 7, 2008, 11:46 PM
Are you paying for this or is your dad?

ACtually i dont know it depend. He said he would pay for it. But i dont know when i m going to get it.

jhall527
Mar 7, 2008, 11:52 PM
The funny thing is I just made a keynote to help convince my Dad to help pay for an iPhone for me. Good luck.

nordesmic
Mar 8, 2008, 12:17 AM
The funny thing is I just made a keynote to help convince my Dad to help pay for an iPhone for me. Good luck.

Doesn't anyone just talk to their parents these days?

m1stake
Mar 8, 2008, 12:25 AM
That presentation looks like it was developed by the special ed class at an elementary school. Good luck making yourself look mature with this thing.

Star Destroyer
Mar 8, 2008, 12:58 AM
I cant understand why EVERYONE needs an iPod, i love apple but iPods aren't for everyone.
Judging by your keynote (which is, i think, is one of the worst ways of asking a parent for something) i would say you are most likely early highschool, maybe 15. No offense, i would not buy my kid that.
I would put that 400$ for better use, save it for a car, save it for a new macbook. I have been trying to reason my way into thinking i would get lots of use out of a Touch here at University, and honestly, its still an iPod, and i have a laptop (as well as a 30gb video, and Nano). The laptop makes the wifi on a touch negligible, and i have an ipod already.

When would you use this Touch?
and you cant actually save your 'portable research' your doing for school.

I dont know, my parents always told me that wanting something is usually better then having it. I think in this case i think you just want it because its 'cool' to have one, and its more of an impulse buy.

I say spend the money on something more useful, especially if you had to make a presentation to 'earn' it.

davidy
Mar 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
You might try the obvious. Offer to do $400 worth of work around the house. Wash the dishes for youor Mom one or twice a week. Cut the grass every week. Clean out the garage/attic/your room on a regular basis. Clean out the gutters and downspouts. Do some gardening or landscaping. Etc.

The key is to not expect your Dad to give you $400 out of the goodness of his heart; offer him something of equal value in return. That's the way life works.

p.s. Don't expect him to pay for it just because you think it's cool. It's probably nowhere as cool to him.

AceFernalld
Mar 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
Jailbreaking is illegal in the first place. 99% sure.
(I get nicer after the first sentance)
You sound like a selfish idiot, to actually make a whole keynote on how you deserve a 16GB iPod touch, and it's laughable you include the fact that you deserve it because you want one.
Just ask him, try to persuade him with some facts, tell how bad your current iPod/MP3 Player is, how the UI is amazing, great reviews, great PDA, internet features, multi-touch screen, countless amazing features.
Jesus Christ though don't make a keynote, way too desperate. Is this for your birthday or just random?
I convinced my mom that my Vista comp is complete crap (which it is) and I'm getting an iMac in August for my birthday, that's because I can not deal with Vista ^_^

aross99
Mar 8, 2008, 04:44 PM
So how old are you?

If Dad already said he would get you one, maybe he is waiting for your birthday or Christmas or something? $400 is a fair amount of money for most people.

You don't want to hound him to much, but contrary to what the other people said, I think the Keynote was a good idea. Shows that you know how to use technology. I would think it was pretty cool if my kids went to the trouble to do that. Shows how much you want it. :)

You know your Dad and your situation better than all of us, so I doubt we are going to be able to help you much. You are going to get a bunch of people who say you should buy it yourself, etc.

Assuming you are in Middle school, or High School, I think getting good grades, helping out around the house, keeping your room clean, etc, are all good places to start!

uburoibob
Mar 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
What a bunch of spoiled whiny babies. Horror - go get a job. I had one when I was 10 years old. I'd mow people's lawns and shovel their driveways. It would have taken me a year to save $400 (adjusted for inflation).

How the hell old are you? If you are under 10, you don't need an iPod touch. If you are older - say between 10 and 20 - just take matters into your own hands. Or are you older than 20?

I can't believe you kids are getting birthday gifts that cost more than $400!

JEEZ! What a case of reality you have coming...

With the Bush Economy, you'll be lucky if your parents have jobs in the near future! Maybe your dad is looking for a second job so he can afford to give you this, you whiny little person.

:mad:

Hello.there
Mar 8, 2008, 04:56 PM
Doesn't anyone just talk to their parents these days?

:) The Keynote thing got me too, good grief.

macbook129
Mar 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
Show him the iPhone, Tell him you want an Iphone which is like $500? and the contract which is around $1500? and then mention the ipod touch for $400 which basically is the same as the iphone without the phone and would save alot of money, or, just get a job.

dukebound85
Mar 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
What a bunch of spoiled whiny babies. Horror - go get a job. I had one when I was 10 years old. I'd mow people's lawns and shovel their driveways. It would have taken me a year to save $400 (adjusted for inflation).

How the hell old are you? If you are under 10, you don't need an iPod touch. If you are older - say between 10 and 20 - just take matters into your own hands. Or are you older than 20?

I can't believe you kids are getting birthday gifts that cost more than $400!

JEEZ! What a case of reality you have coming...

With the Bush Economy, you'll be lucky if your parents have jobs in the near future! Maybe your dad is looking for a second job so he can afford to give you this, you whiny little person.

:mad:

wow good for you, way to come off as snobish

Show him the iPhone, Tell him you want an Iphone which is like $500? and the contract which is around $1500? and then mention the ipod touch for $400 which basically is the same as the iphone without the phone and would save alot of money, or, just get a job.

i agree get a job or wait till xmas or something

honestly, i would be irritated if my kid asked me or tells me he deserves a 400 dollar gift off my money that i work hard for... id say to him be thankful for free food and rent lol and clothes and accept gifts as they come, not as you demand

i just find it amusing how everyone has a sense of entitilement i see on these forums. even when its to upgrade from a perfectly functioning vista comp to a mac as the post a couple slots above mine (#21) said and treated like that was an "ok" circumstance lol and was somehow different than this one

Y-Guy
Mar 8, 2008, 05:07 PM
My kids ask for anything like this my first question is "How much do you have saved up?" If they don't have enough then I look out the window at the dirty car and the lawn. Then I remind them that they want a car and they want to go to college. A $50 San Disk player from Woot plays music just fine and net savings is about $350.

AceFernalld
Mar 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
Summary of my previous comment:
If you're 14+ go get a job dude, you're now legal and your dad shouldn't have to pay for un-essential things anymore. When I turn 14 I'm getting a job pronto so I can finally pay for my own extras, because my mom has bought me so much over the past years, even getting an iMac when my 13th b-day roles around! :eek:

madhatress
Mar 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
Why not go 50/50? Get a job or do odd jobs around the house/neighbourhood to get half the money, and maybe your dad will kick in the rest. It will show him that you know the value of a dollar, and that you are willing to earn the things you want, instead of having them handed to you.

dukebound85
Mar 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
Summary of my previous comment:
If you're 14+ go get a job dude, you're now legal and your dad shouldn't have to pay for un-essential things anymore. When I turn 14 I'm getting a job pronto so I can finally pay for my own extras, because my mom has bought me so much over the past years, even getting an iMac when my 13th b-day roles around! :eek:

lol why are you coming down so hard on this kid (as you did on your first post) for asking his dad to get him a 400 dollar ipod and you turn around and ask for a 1300 dollar computer from your parents.....you dont have a job

aethelbert
Mar 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
lol why are you coming down so hard on this kid (as you did on your first post) for asking his dad to get him a 400 dollar ipod and you turn around and ask for a 1300 dollar computer from your parents.....you dont have a job
Well put.

ebouwman
Mar 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
Jailbreaking is illegal in the first place. 99% sure.

Is it actually illegal though? It's yours, you bought it, so why would it be so bad to jailbreak? Thats like buying a car and then not being able to put on after-market part.

jimmer-uk
Mar 8, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'd be interested to see where in legislation it is illegal to do as you please with a product you own outright to :confused:

As for this thread, is it a joke, a young lad is sat in doors making a keynote presentation to show his day why he needs an electronic item??!! Realls there is more to life

Compile 'em all
Mar 8, 2008, 06:55 PM
This thread :confused:

ebouwman
Mar 8, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'd be interested to see where in legislation it is illegal to do as you please with a product you own outright to :confused:

As for this thread, is it a joke, a young lad is sat in doors making a keynote presentation to show his day why he needs an electronic item??!! Realls there is more to life

Well it is illegal if you're going to use it for an illegal activity. But somehow adding a new app to an iPod doesn't seem illegal. The place that it would almost definitely be illegal would be with the iPhone, because there you are agreeing to use it within the terms of use set out by AT&T, there is actually some sort of binding contract there i assume.

iTeen
Mar 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
wow...some kids these days...i paid for everything in my sig except the macbook which i payed for half.
just get a job, save up 400 bucks, and go buy your ipod.:rolleyes:
and your keynote sucks.:rolleyes:

pianodude123
Mar 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
You might try the obvious. Offer to do $400 worth of work around the house. Wash the dishes for your Mom one or twice a week.

Are you implying women wash the dishes?

AceFernalld
Mar 8, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yes I realize the irony and hypocrisy of my comment, but I hate the way he puts one of the reasons he deserves one as "Because I want the 16GB". I'm getting the iMac because we were going to go on vacation, but we can no longer afford this, so my mom gave me the choice of going on a cheaper, $1500 vacation to Disney, or getting a $1500 iMac. Instead of going on an expensive vacation, I get to chose between Disney or iMac for my 13th birthday, because my mom had planned to go to Galveston, Texas, but then went and spent $7000 on dolls). Honestly don't mean to come across as a snob, just saying

madhatress
Mar 8, 2008, 08:17 PM
because my mom had planned to go to Galveston, Texas, but then went and spent $7000 on dolls). Honestly don't mean to come across as a snob, just saying

Your mom needs to get a cheaper hobby. :eek:

And I thought I spent a lot on yarn for knitting :D

jimmer-uk
Mar 8, 2008, 08:23 PM
Well it is illegal if you're going to use it for an illegal activity. But somehow adding a new app to an iPod doesn't seem illegal. The place that it would almost definitely be illegal would be with the iPhone, because there you are agreeing to use it within the terms of use set out by AT&T, there is actually some sort of binding contract there i assume.

Yeah I'd agree with that, but ONLY if you activate it online and sign up to the contract. I'm sure it's the same in the uk, whereas you go into your carrier store, pay xxxx amount for a handset, then activate/agree terms via the net. So by my thinking there is no contract binding at the point of buying a handset, just upon accepting terms on a contract deal

Pippen Man
Mar 8, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm 14 years old, and my old iPod got stolen back in October of 2006. I immediately came to the conclusion to wait for the new iPods (such as the, back then, rumored iPod with touch controls). iPhone comes out in January, BOOM!, I wanted it. But then, (being 13 back then) saw that having an iPhone with a lovely nice glass screen on the front at school is not feasible. So, I waited.

August of 2007 rolls around. Hoping at the iMac event new iPod touch comes out, nope.

It was the day before September 5 (the iPod event) that I approached my Dad about my new iPod. He's a stock broker, so he knows all the things going down over in Cupertino. (Not rumored products, just the information that you and I know) First thing he asks, "How much money do you have?" I have $600 and he said perfect.

iPod touch comes out, and I asked him about it that night. "Sure, if you've got the money. Just be careful and don't lose/damage it." I had one ordered that night.

My advice to you is so save up the $400 and just "suck up" to your parents. Maybe discussing the iPhone first (which I did) then bringing up the iPod touch later as an alternative ;) Good luck :) :apple:

davidy
Mar 9, 2008, 03:37 AM

If you buy and legally posess a CD or DVD, it is illegal for you to make copies of that disk to give or sell to someone else.

If you own certain common household products (chemicals) it is illegal to combine them into a form which is explosive.

In England you can not legally watch your TV if you haven't paid the tax.

I am a target shooting enthuiast. I can legally own any type of handgun or long gun but the law strictly regulates the circumstances under which i can use the weapons.

I reload fired cartridges with black powder and smokeless powder that I legally own. I can go to the local hardware store and buy iron pipe without any restrictions. I cannot, however, legally cut a pipe into a 6" length, fill it with gunpowder and screw endcaps on it.

That should be enough examples to disprove your assertion that you can do anything you want with a posession that you legally own. If you need more examples let me know; there are dozens I can come up with.

jimmer-uk
Mar 10, 2008, 04:54 AM
If you buy and legally posess a CD or DVD, it is illegal for you to make copies of that disk to give or sell to someone else.

If you own certain common household products (chemicals) it is illegal to combine them into a form which is explosive.

I am a target shooting enthuiast. I can legally own any type of handgun or long gun but the law strictly regulates the circumstances under which i can use the weapons.

I reload fired cartridges with black powder and smokeless powder that I legally own. I can go to the local hardware store and buy iron pipe without any restrictions. I cannot, however, legally cut a pipe into a 6" length, fill it with gunpowder and screw endcaps on it.

That should be enough examples to disprove your assertion that you can do anything you want with a posession that you legally own. If you need more examples let me know; there are dozens I can come up with.

Yeah but you must compare apples with apples, not firearms with phones. I cannot shoot someone with a mobile phone and there is no legislation in place to rule this illegal. If I own a cd/dvd I can make backup copies, again i'm not looking to duplicate my handset, what I do with it is for personal use.

If I buy a shoe I am liberty to change the laces if I like, If I buy a car I can change the wheels, yes it may void a manufactures warranty, but they sure as fire won't tell me to take them off and threaten action, or worse still, take the car off me and take it to the crusher ( see bricking iphone).

Can you not see my point?? Were not talking about selling private cd's or you ramboing round shooting people with a bazooka. Were talking about you buying a phone and doing whatever you want to it, adding software, painting it pink, standing on it, drowning it etc. This is all our legal right

wizard
Mar 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Are you implying women wash the dishes?

A good one does!

Dave

Krafty
Mar 10, 2008, 12:03 PM
20 bucks says the OP is just laughing at half these posts.

scotty96LSC
Mar 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
What if you just get good grades, do your homework, and help out your dad, or at least wash his car on weekends.

Dude dont mention a thing about jailbreak, believe me.....

Go out and earn it. If you show him your are working towards it I bet he kicks in the difference at some point. I would with my teenagers.

wizard
Mar 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
First off; get rid of that silly ass Keynote presentation. If your parents had any sense they would whack you over the head with i immediately upon seeing what it is. Maybe your parents are excessively permissive or can't say no, if so you have to find the strength to stop exploiting that weakness for your own gain. The last thing you want to do is to grow up and demonstrate to the w2orld that you are a greedy needy bitch that can't make headway on his own.

Second; get a job or two. You will learn much more about the outside world then you will ever do by sitting in front of an LCD screen viewing it at a distance. There are a number of good benefits to an income stream at a young age. You learn responsibility which everyone seems to focus on but it also puts you in a position of being able to make the transition to adult hood a bit smoother. Sure an iPod looks sweet right now, but let me tel you in a perfectly clear tone it will look a bit silly in a year or two when you realize you will soon be needing money for a car or a couple of years in college. If you get nothing else out of your efforts at employment it should be the importance of saving for the future, near and far.

Lastly; you should consider yourself to be lucky that you don't put yourself at risk of serious harm even considering this approach with your parents. In many places and communities such an approach would be frowned on to put it lightly. I('m actually shocked that you would even come on this forum with a suggestion of such an approach. I've seen people end up in the hospital for less.!

Dave

Delia
Mar 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
I honestly hope your father has plans to teach you the value of responsibility and earning your money.

Rather than making some excessively lame presentation about why you HAVE to have the 16 GB touch, go and do odd jobs for the neighborhood. Take the initiative into your own hands and SHOW your father why you supposedly deserve it. Don't beg for it, go out there and work for it.

This isn't getting a CD, or an extra five bucks in your allowance-- you're talking about a $400 device that comes with an added $25-$40 in tax on top of it (depending on where you live). You aren't magically entitled to get it just because you think so. Trust me, there will be a point when your brain wakes up and you realize that you aren't automatically entitled to get things handed to you, you have to earn them. I thought the day would never come when I'd look back, but dang-- when it did, I realized why my parents made us work for what we wanted, and I was happy they did.

Go out and work odd jobs. Recycle bottles. Maybe even offer to walk people's dogs. Earning and saving are valuable lessons you need to learn, and when you do save enough for that iPod, you will be proud.

deverelle
Mar 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
Someday you may have children of your own. When that happens, the latest tech gadget will be $3000 and you will explode when your kid has a fully integrated multimedia holographic presentation on why they want whatever they want. Seriously, save this thread in a safe place. When you are old enough to be a parent, this will be the funniest thing you've ever read in your life.

I understand why you want an iPod Touch. I stood in line to get an iPhone on day one... trust me, I understand why you feel the way you feel. Apple products make people feel that way. You're not alone. The gadget you want is a good gadget and wanting it doesn't make you a bad person.

I recall being a teenager and wanting a TV in my room. I got a job, saved money and bought one. I was so proud and took good care of my prize because it was the iPod Touch of the day. Later I paid for my own college and graduate school. It may be hard to grasp now, but you'll feel so much better about yourself and be so much better managing your money as an adult if you earn money to pay for your own luxuries. I am always grateful I had to earn my own way early in life. People who had much more than I did growing up now have a lot less because they did not learn self-reliance.

If you're not convinced and still think of dad as an ATM, then play the angle of using it for research to improve your grades and learn how to write a proper sentence. It's lame but it's the most "parent friendly" spin you have.

But consider getting a job... you'll be glad you did.

karenflower
Mar 11, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hahahahaha :D

I mean, uh, sorry for laughing. :p Serious thread is serious, after all.

I'd say. . the nice people here have given some good advice. Hope you read it all!

queshy
Mar 11, 2008, 07:28 PM
That presentation looks like it was developed by the special ed class at an elementary school. Good luck making yourself look mature with this thing.

Lmao, I agree, everything about it is awfully done.

I think you need to explain how it is more of a PDA in that you can keep track of homework, assignments,classes, etc.

Or, you could get a job and then pay for it yourself :)

y0jeremy
Mar 11, 2008, 09:20 PM
Get a job, then you can persuade your wallet to give up the money -

dukebound85
Mar 12, 2008, 06:44 PM
Get a job, then you can persuade your wallet to give up the money -

haha good one!

intempo808
Mar 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
If thats the best that Keynote can do in terms of presentation making, then I will stear clear of it when I buy my Mac!

Anyway, just save your money. Thats what I did. It makes you appreciate it more too! I guard mine with my life.

scotty96LSC
Mar 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
If thats the best that Keynote can do in terms of presentation making, then I will stear clear of it when I buy my Mac!

Anyway, just save your money. Thats what I did. It makes you appreciate it more too! I guard mine with my life.

If you own it/bought it you take more care of it than if you are given it.

Tyris
Mar 15, 2008, 10:04 PM

These are text book examples of strawman arguments.

You could not come up with the US legal code stating that modifying an ipod is illegal, so you came up with completely unrelated statements and then attacked those.

You have proven nothing.

-T