PDA

View Full Version : Persuading him part 2

Machorror
Mar 7, 2008, 11:03 PM
I took all of your guys advice and it was close. THe thing is he thinks I should wait until the 3rd generation iPhone comes out. And he said if it doesnt come out until october than i can get a regular 8GB iPhone. But i dont want to wait AT ALL! I want to get it now! So how do you think i could tell him i should get a ipod touch right now. So please help me out. I have posted a powerpoint of why i deserve an iphone soon!
P.S> I know nerd. So tell me wat i should do. THank you!!!!

aethelbert
Mar 7, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sorry, dude. You don't deserve an iPhone.

chrismac00
Mar 7, 2008, 11:13 PM
Calm down and wait. You'll get it eventually. No need for asking for advice on "persuading your father to get you and iPod Touch or iPhone"

But if you really want advice,

1. Go to the Apple Store with your dad and show him what you want and yeah if he doesn't want to take you he doesn't want to buy it for you.:o

2. That's pretty much it or WORK for it.:confused:

BrownManUPS
Mar 7, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hahahaha this is cute.

Okay so basically the iPhone is a very businessy/PDA device these days and is really for the clientele of people over the age of 16 but more like in college and above. Your dad (or if you pay the phone bill, you) will have to shell out a two year contract with the most expensive phone company on the planet, pay an extra premium for SMS and data charges (minimum $20 if you only want 200 SMS or something like that), and if you want a 16GB iPhone it will be 500 dollars. That's quite a lot to ask for, and even if you do give 400 towards the cause he will still need to pay a lot in the long run.

And, you mentioned before in your question, there will be an update. The 3G iPhone is expected "mid-2008" and I can say that WWDC is a likely release event (along with SDK). So I would strongly advise against buying an iPhone, at least.

Now on the other hand, you can get a 16GB iPod touch for 400 dollars that has a lot of great features, probably won't see much of an update (except for it to be closer to the iPhone with a brushed back and buttons), and the touch is only going to get better with small (payed for, it seems) updates over time, but there is no premium per month to pay for wi-fi. Plus if you know anything at all about VoIP, you could use that technology to still make some phone calls on an iTouch (provided you have a wi-fi connection). To put it short, to buy an iPod touch now isn't a bad idea, but a phone is a terrible idea.

Machorror
Mar 7, 2008, 11:21 PM
Well thanks for all your advice and keep on posting. And to let you know the next iPhone is coming out December 8th. I have it from a reliable source, (former apple worker)!

aethelbert
Mar 7, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well thanks for all your advice and keep on posting. And to let you know the next iPhone is coming out December 8th. I have it from a reliable source, (former apple worker)!
Did you meet him in an elevator? :rolleyes:

Why the hell would a former Apple employee know about current development? Yeah, he wouldn't.

Christina1971
Mar 7, 2008, 11:23 PM
You are cute. I like the Powerpoint. It's kind of busy, but I remember when I used to have youthful enthusiasm like this.

Here's a lesson for you to take away, so seriously think about this: you've already won. You moved your father from a position of "no, you can't have one" to "yes, you can have one, in October." That is so much better than just a straight "no." You've mastered a fine point of negotiation. You've both moved off your original position -- he's not saying no, and you're going to get the phone, eventually. That's what compromise is. As you get older, you'll find out that life is full of these compromises.

So, don't push your luck. This is the point where you play it cool, say, "thank you, Dad" and walk away. If you keep pushing and whining and not being a good negotiator and compromiser, you risk turning your win into a loss.

EricNau
Mar 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
Powerpoint, eh? Perhaps you should invest in a copy of iWork instead. ;)

basesloaded190
Mar 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
Did you meet him in an elevator? :rolleyes:

Why the hell would a former Apple employee know about current development? Yeah, he wouldn't.

former employees get emails for steve himself about updates :p

theperson
Mar 8, 2008, 12:00 AM
^

This is why we can't have nice things.

davidy
Mar 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
In your first posting you wanted advice on persuading your Dad to buy a touch. Now you've upgraded to wanting an iPhone.

Settle down and decide exactly what you want and how much it will cost. An iPod touch will cost $400 plus an occasional $20 for upgrades. An iPhone will cost $500 plus a two year contract and monthly charges. It will probably run $1000 over a two year period. Then you have to start over with a new contract. Are you willing to pay for all of that?

BTW the Power Point presentation is innovative but not persuasive. There are grammatical, logic and spelling errors. Also, you might want to forget about wanting or deserving one and concentrate on reasons (if any) why you need one.

Machorror
Mar 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
In your first posting you wanted advice on persuading your Dad to buy a touch. Now you've upgraded to wanting an iPhone.

Settle down and decide exactly what you want and how much it will cost. An iPod touch will cost $400 plus an occasional $20 for upgrades. An iPhone will cost $500 plus a two year contract and monthly charges. It will probably run $1000 over a two year period. Then you have to start over with a new contract. Are you willing to pay for all of that?

BTW the Power Point presentation is innovative but not persuasive. There are grammatical, logic and spelling errors. Also, you might want to forget about wanting or deserving one and concentrate on reasons (if any) why you need one.
Yeah u r right. My dad said if i think of a good idea for an application and make it using sdk he will help me make it, then he will buy me an iphone as a job well done and it can help me test out the app. and then i can make more apps.
P.S. I m downloading SDK at this very moment.:cool: