PDA

View Full Version : Apple Faces Challenges In Driving iPhone Adoption By Busines...

MacBytes
Mar 8, 2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Faces Challenges In Driving iPhone Adoption By Business (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080308013014)
Description:: Thats what they think.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

osequis
Mar 8, 2008, 01:30 AM
hehehe... you can almost smell the panic in the article, they know what is coming and there's no way to escape to the iphonization... :)

cohibadad
Mar 9, 2008, 10:08 AM
The only obstacle left where I work is getting the wireless and cell coverage to work properly with the iPhone. IT uses a hidden SSID and probably some other encryption that my iPhone doesn't properly switch between points. They also have a deal with one carrier to get a repeater in the building and ATT was not willing to do this so my office (aka The Bunker) gets zero signal. If IT was just willing to make wireless work properly it would go a long way. The nerds got their Touches to play with so you'd think they would use them to actually make wireless work right (or maybe they have but they're not sharing the secret :confused:).

MikeTheC
Mar 9, 2008, 12:18 PM
As I see it, apart from any bugs or other glitches, really the two things which have inhibited the iPhone platform from corporate adoption are basically:

1. Lack of Exchange Server support
2. Lack of ability to write custom software for it

As I believe Apple's got the iPhone SDK out there, that leaves Exchange Server support, which is really the biggie in the first place anyhow. Solve that, and the days of the CrackBerry are numbered.

EagerDragon
Mar 9, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am not sure what difficulty he speaks about. With the SDK just about every developer out there is salivating at having 5 to 50 million new customers and as they can set the price, it is just a matter of the customer seeing a compelling software product. It is a lot quicker to get 100 or 200 applications than for RIM to have a device that can compete in overall features with the iPhone.

I think Apple sales of the iPhone are getting ready to explode. Version 2.0 will have a lot of new features + the Enterprise features, plus 3G coming and 100 to 200 apps in the remainder of the year, on top of that we will see more applications comes 2009.

Unless Apple made a mistake with the licensing of Exchange, the iPhone, other devices AND the Mac will gain a lot of these Enterprise features. Making them more desirable for the enterprise.

I expect to see more Mac desktops, laptops and workstations sales come out due to the enterprise features.

Some businesses with large number of Blackberries will not move to the iPhone for a while, but they will consider it when it is time to replace their current Blackberries. The key is going to be being able to deploy both and for them to communicate.

hulugu
Mar 9, 2008, 10:47 PM
As I see it, apart from any bugs or other glitches, really the two things which have inhibited the iPhone platform from corporate adoption are basically:

1. Lack of Exchange Server support
2. Lack of ability to write custom software for it

As I believe Apple's got the iPhone SDK out there, that leaves Exchange Server support, which is really the biggie in the first place anyhow. Solve that, and the days of the CrackBerry are numbered.

Well, I believe they're working on 1 with the announcement on Thursday that showed Apple will be licensing ActiveSync from Microsoft thus creating Exchange support.

One thing to notice during the presentation was the not-so-subtle bash on RIM with regard to how 'typical' push-email services worked.

RIM's outage last month has been a boon to their competitors.

MikeTheC
Mar 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
I actually wrote my original post here prior to noticing the articles on the iPhone 2.0 / iPhone SDK announcement. I mean, I was aware the SDK was in the pipeline from prior announcements by Steve, et al. So I guess this just proves how right I actually was.

Of course, time will tell how successful the iPhone will be in terms of an enterprise device. Clearly, Apple's track record to date in that arena has been anywhere from wanting to straight-up lousy, but maybe this'll prove the exception to the rule.

And maybe it means Steve has finally got the freakin' message already. Get you're stuff into an enterprise-acceptable mode, or get off the pot.

I, for one, would love to see all this sort of support built into future releases of Leopard and/or, going forward, future versions of Mac OS X period.