PDA

View Full Version : iEmulator, PPC G5, and XP?

AJ's Apple
Mar 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
Has anyone tried running, or is anyone currently running, iEmulator on a G5 with Windows XP? It appears to be at a very reasonable cost, and advertises the capability of running XP.

I still own a G5 (non-iSight) iMac, with 2GB of RAM. As far as I can tell, Virtual PC won't support Leopard, and the other emulation/virtualization (still don't understand the difference) applications I see on the market will only run on an intel-powered mac.

I would like to run XP Home as it is an inexpensive version of Windows. I don't need it for much, but there are a couple of hardware devices I need to update (non-computer related) that can only be done through the manufacturers' update utilities and a USB connection, which will only run on a Windows operating system.

Eidorian
Mar 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
I see a MacBook in your signature. Why not use that?

AJ's Apple
Mar 8, 2008, 08:23 AM
I see a MacBook in your signature. Why not use that?
I considered it, but the desktop is where my desk and files are, and has the external drives connected. I only use the MB while away, and even then I use a portable drive that just gets hooked up to the iM when I'm back at my desk.

Honestly, I just assume get rid of the G5 and get a new Intel iM. But, it's not in the budget anytime soon.

Eidorian
Mar 8, 2008, 10:40 AM
Keep in mind that running Boot Camp is only going to require your to have a copy of Windows and some free drive space. In this day of Intel Macs you're much better off going with running Windows on an Intel Mac.

Are the files that you need to update your hardware to large to move over to the MacBook? I have my love for PowerPC Macs but you want to run Windows.

AJ's Apple
Mar 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
Ok... thanks for the Intel suggestions. But, that's not my question. There is no Intel option at the moment.

leRiCl
Mar 13, 2008, 08:16 PM
IEmulator is EVIL
Basically, the guys at IEmulator took this open source and free thing: http://www.kju-app.org/kju/
and renamed it to sell for money.

I hope I have saved you some $23.95