PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 LCD Conversion

maxshanly
Mar 8, 2008, 09:27 AM
My friend is giving me an old iMac G3, I thought it might be a good idea to do an LCD conversion.

I was just wondering if anyone had a detailed diagram of the wiring that I need to do for video and power adapters?

I shall await a reply.

forgottensoft
Mar 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
The iMac G3 has an internal VGA connector to the Motherboard. That means this hack is very self explanatory.

cherry su
Mar 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
Open up a 15" flat panel, connect it with the iMac's internal VGA port, toss the CRT crap (be careful!) and voilą! (probably)

ktbubster
Mar 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
Does this mean the imacs current CRT screen is connected to the motherboard with an internal vga? In theory could you take a mac minis guys and use a dvi-vgi converter and plug the crt into the mini? Just curious. I think that would be sorta neat. :)

Then again i could just take a case and put the mini in there and a new LCD or something, but i think the original crt would be sort neat to have in there with different guts...

maxshanly
Jun 19, 2008, 08:39 AM
I have finally got the iMac, I am going to try it out tonight. Does anyone know exactly where on the motherboard is the VGA port and once I plug in the LCD will it work right out of the box?

Is there any hackadackery required?

Wotan31
Jun 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
Open up a 15" flat panel, connect it with the iMac's internal VGA port, toss the CRT crap (be careful!) and voilą! (probably)
You mean *recycle* the CRT crap. It is now illegal in all 50 states to throw a CRT in the trash. The average CRT contains 9 pounds of lead, some mercury, some arsenic, and some other nasty things.

Don't be a bonehead - take it to a recycling center.

maxshanly
Jun 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Will the iMac G3 (350 MHz Slot Loading) take PC133 RAM?

maxshanly
Jun 19, 2008, 01:05 PM
Will the iMac G3 (350 MHz Slot Loading) take PC133 RAM?

Looks like it does. I have installed 1 GB of RAM into the iMac (2 x 512 MB), it is running rather snappy. I've booted into the Mac OS X Tiger CDs that I got from work (I do own a family pack for Tiger but this Mac doesn't have a DVD Drive so I needed CDs to install from). It hasn't made a fuss over the fact that the Mac is unsupported (it doesn't have a FireWire port) and I am not using XPostFacto so it looks like it is going to work just fine.

I'll make another post once the install is finished, I've just got to run downstairs and get some toothpaste to fix the scratch on the glass. I shan't be putting in the LCD for a while, not until I've got another iMac to test the method on.

MonksMac
Jun 19, 2008, 01:16 PM
The 350 MHz Blueberry slot loading iMacs are the same as all of the other ones except for the Firewire port and no DVD drive, so that is why Tiger still works fine. :apple:
Double check the connecter inside the computer. It may not be a regular VGA connecter. Some iMac G3's internal connecter is the old style Macintosh Monitor connecter. I'm not totally sure so don't automatically assume I'm right...:o:apple:

applefan1997
Jun 23, 2008, 08:57 AM
This will not work that easily. The G3 will not function properly unless it's fooled into thinking the internal screen is connected. It is possible though, and can be seen here:
http://www.macmod.com/content/view/414/193/