Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Is it worth the $129 for me to upgrade my old 300Mhz Blueberry iBook to Panther? I tried Jag on it but it was very sluggish, to say the least!

MyPB&Me

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2003
my guess is that its gonna make it run slower. If you are using OS9 and that works well, i wouldn't update it.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I have heard that Panther has made many older systems run faster.

Has anyone installed Panther on an older machine? Does it run well?

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I am currently running Jaguar on my 400 mhz iMac. It works great with 640 megs of ram. Panther should speed things up a bit. I wonder how panther would be on the ibook. How much ram do you have? Have you thought about going beyond the limitations apple put on it. Like buying a 1Gb low profile ram. If they make something like that.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I am currently running Jaguar on my 400 mhz iMac. It works great with 640 megs of ram. Panther should speed things up a bit. I wonder how panther would be on the ibook. How much ram do you have? Have you thought about going beyond the limitations apple put on it. Like buying a 1Gb low profile ram. If they make something like that.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I went to an art show once which had paintings of industrial machines. The artist statement pointed to the fact that the way we treat our machines...is much like the way we treat people. A nice clamshell ibook is our friend when it is useful. But when it has lost it's usefulness we toss it. We do they same to the elderly. But on the other hand I see your point. 512 MB of ram will cost you about 120.00. Jaguar will run you 129.00. For a grand total of 229.00. That would be a nice down payment on a G4 ibook.

rodnarms

macrumors member
May 18, 2003
Port Rowan, Ontario, Canada
Don't Bother Upgrading to Panther

Now that the iBook has gone G4 I would suggest you get one. I cannot imagine running a Macintosh on anything but OS X.

However, if your machine does everything that you want it to do then there is no need to upgrade.

I think a new Mac would be a huge leap for you - think of the amount of iApp software that would open up to you.

If I was in your situation I would not bother upgrading to Panther.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
It has 160MB of RAM.

I guess if I need to add more ram, it wouldn't make it worth upgrading. Cause I think it's only worth about $300 on eBay.

Maybe I'll just sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.