Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romain

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
Sorenson Media made the following remarks following the news that a lawsuit has been filed against the company by Apple Computer.

"We are greatly surprised by the presumptive filing of this suit without prior discussions or understandings between the parties," said Jim Sorenson, CEO of Sorenson Media. "We are reasonable, and as is usual practice, we are always willing to discuss and work to resolve issues. In the meantime, we remain focused on executing our overall corporate and product strategy and doing what we feel is best for our customers."

As a result of the release of the Sorenson Spark technology recently licensed to Macromedia, Apple claims breach of a distribution agreement of Sorenson Video for QuickTime by Sorenson Media. Based on the facts, Sorenson Media considers the claims to be without merit, and if necessary, intends to mount a vigorous defense against the allegations.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Sorenson Media Responds to Lawsuit Allegation

Originally posted by Romain
"We are greatly surprised by the presumptive filing of this suit without prior discussions or understandings between the parties," said Jim Sorenson, CEO of Sorenson Media. "We are reasonable, and as is usual practice, we are always willing to discuss and work to resolve issues. In the meantime, we remain focused on executing our overall corporate and product strategy and doing what we feel is best for our customers."

As a result of the release of the Sorenson Spark technology recently licensed to Macromedia, Apple claims breach of a distribution agreement of Sorenson Video for QuickTime by Sorenson Media. Based on the facts, Sorenson Media considers the claims to be without merit, and if necessary, intends to mount a vigorous defense against the allegations.

Let me translate: "Man, we were hoping we'd get away with this. Shoot, they sued, and without even calling first to make a money demand..." "Hey Apple, wanna talk and avoid a suit, we're willing to negotiate. Until a court tells us to stop, we're going to continue doing what we want."

The company's statement about the claims being without merit and being willing to fight the allegations means that if Apple doesn't talk numbers $$$ and refuses to negotiate to allow this company to breach the distribution agreement, it's going to fight the suit and try to force Apple to spend lots of money on lawyers.

In sum, Sorenson wants to negotiate a monetary agreement so both sides can walk away happy, but the sticking point is going to be that Sorenson wants to keep doing what it's doing. If Apple wants to enforce its distribution agreement, there is going to be a fight.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
As long as it doesn't affect the availability of Sorensen products on the mac.... then I don't give a damn if they make out in court or what..... :D

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Ok, let me translate it even better.

I offer to Apple my services for some ammount of time. Before that ammount of time is over, I sold my companny to some one else. That means that now Apple would have to deal with the policies of that 3rd person.

This aricmetic looks so simple that should be a numer of cases like that around allready.

On one hand, Soreson is responsable for the service offered to Apple, on the other hand, they are "free" to do what they want because they are not owned by Apple, but, they have responsabilityes.

That reminds me when you live togather with some one or you have a partner and you are togather in something and your partner start using the money for something else and he reply "Is my money, I do it what I want with it". That kind of behaviour can be found only in the US culture by the way. That is another formula, when you get sorounded by responsabilitys the option is to get selfish-> prepotent.

Lets see what happend with Soreson, because they are the one breaking the rules.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Sorenson Media Responds to Lawsuit Allegation

Originally posted by mcrain
Let me translate: "Man, we were hoping we'd get away with this. Shoot, they sued, and without even calling first to make a money demand..." "Hey Apple, wanna talk and avoid a suit, we're willing to negotiate. Until a court tells us to stop, we're going to continue doing what we want."

Couldn't have said it better. :D

I'm always amazed at the gall these companies have when they blatantly do something wrong and then try to get away with it by turning around and try to cover their asses and kiss up to the public with "we want to do what's best for our customers". What a load of B.S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.