Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
Hey, I was wondering if there's any reason not to get a 1.83 cd mini (not c2d!) if I can get it for under $400? It would only have 512 mb ram - so it would need an upgrade. That would add another $100 to the price (if I have an Apple certified tech do the upgrade). But is there going to be a significant difference in speed/performance between the 1.83 cd and the newer c2d models?

Also, can the memory be upgraded by an Apple tech without voiding the warranty? One Apple rep told me one thing, and another one told me the opposite . . . .

For $200 more (if I've done my math right) - or actually only $100 more after adding in the cost of the upgrade! - I could instead get the 1.83 c2d with the same memory upgrade built in. So, the newer processor, but combo drive instead of super drive. Is it worth spending the extra $100? I'm using it primarily for text editing & internet research - so nothing graphic intensive . . . but the G4 mini I'm using now is dragging its a$$!!!

Also, I could do this cheaper if I did the memory upgrade myself, or had someone other than an apple certified tech do it (yes, I do know what a pain it is to open these!) - is it such a big deal if I do that and lose my warranty?

Thanks in advance!!!

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
1) you can upgrade the memory yourself and not void the warranty, provided you dont break anything in the process. You can get 2gb of ram from any number of places for $35-40. I will say that Ive handled alot of computer hardware in my day and nothing was as hairy as opening a mac mini for the first time. As long as your are careful though it certainly worth doing yourself.

2) I currently have a 1.66ghz intel CD mini. It came with 512mb ram and about a year ago I bumped that to 1gb. There was a huge difference. Then about 6mo ago I bumped to 2gb and while not as significant as going from 512 to 1gb, there was a noticable difference. Its a very nice unit, could easily last me another few years, but I just took delivery of my new (refurb) 20" iMac this morning so the mini will be sold.

3) I cant comment on the speed difference between the CD and the C2D because not been able to compare. Also, I would get the superdrive. Its easier to add it now than to wish you had later.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
1) you can upgrade the memory yourself and not void the warranty, provided you dont break anything in the process.

What I need is a dead mini to practice on. Problem is, the darn things never die . . . . But if anyone out there has a carcass I could borrow to experiment on, let me know. I just can't bring myself to stick a putty knife into one that's still breathing . . . . :p

I've decided to go with the c2d - which has the greatest potential for memory expansion. If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right.

Thanks for your input, voodoodaddy!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.