PDA

View Full Version : Question about iPod?

nospleen
Oct 30, 2003, 06:22 PM
I am fairly new to the ipod, so sorry if this is redundant. I do not want the ipod to come on everytime I open itunes or everytime I wake my computer up. I just want it to let me choose when to come on and when to update. Is this possible, or will it always be like this unless I unplug the firewire cable? Thanks!

nospleen
Oct 30, 2003, 08:12 PM
Anyone?

russgra
Oct 30, 2003, 08:38 PM
Open iTunes, connect iPod, click on Ipod on the left hand column of iTunes, down the bottom on the right hand side there are four buttons. Click the one on the left 'Display options for Player.' From there you can choose to update everything automatically, only update some playlists or do it all manually.

nospleen
Oct 30, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by russgra
Open iTunes, connect iPod, click on Ipod on the left hand column of iTunes, down the bottom on the right hand side there are four buttons. Click the one on the left 'Display options for Player.' From there you can choose to update everything automatically, only update some playlists or do it all manually.

Thanks. But what I am saying is when my mac wakes up, the ipod automatically connects and says, do not disconnect. I do not want it to mount , I just want it to stay charging. I am thinking the only way is to just charge it off the wall and then plug it into the mac to sync, but that kind of sucks.

russgra
Oct 30, 2003, 09:26 PM
Display options for Player --> disable 'Enable firewire disk use.' ????????

Just an idea.

nospleen
Oct 30, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by russgra
Display options for Player --> disable 'Enable firewire disk use.' ????????

Just an idea.

I tried that too:p I just plugged it into the wall and charge it from there. I figure I rarely add music, so I can just sync it up every few weeks or so. I was just hoping there was a way. I do appreciate your help though!!

manitoubalck
Oct 31, 2003, 12:06 AM
Fire wire is plug and play, if you plug it in it's going to mount, If you diable the fire wire bus, you have to re-enable it every time you want to mount it.

How Slack are you? Is it that much of an effort for you to unplug it? and what the issue with it mounting anyway?

nospleen
Oct 31, 2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Fire wire is plug and play, if you plug it in it's going to mount, If you diable the fire wire bus, you have to re-enable it every time you want to mount it.

How Slack are you? Is it that much of an effort for you to unplug it? and what the issue with it mounting anyway?

I would just prefer it not to turn on every time my mac wakes up. I am use to pda's, where they do not wake up unless you tell it to sync. No biggie though, I was just looking for help. I thought that is what these forums were for, eh?!

Wash!!
Oct 31, 2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by nospleen
I would just prefer it not to turn on every time my mac wakes up. I am use to pda's, where they do not wake up unless you tell it to sync. No biggie though, I was just looking for help. I thought that is what these forums were for, eh?!

Because it uses the firewire to charge when you plug the ipod goes into constant charging mode.. and like it was said before when the bus is activated by wake up from sleep it makes ready for use...any way it never bother me..

Another way is to eject the ipod and leave in the cradle it would just charge if you want to sync just unplug it and plug again

Capt Underpants
Nov 2, 2003, 11:05 AM
It's not that big of a deal to have it update for 20 seconds every time you wake your mac up.... I do think it is pretty annoying, though, and I would enhoy it if I could get mine to stop doing that (only I have a PC).

nospleen
Nov 2, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
It's not that big of a deal to have it update for 20 seconds every time you wake your mac up.... I do think it is pretty annoying, though, and I would enhoy it if I could get mine to stop doing that (only I have a PC).

I think so too, but it would be nice.

Anna
Nov 2, 2003, 04:16 PM
hmmm...disconnect and plug it into the power point?
or try turning it off while it is disconnected to the mac...then it should just charge