Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
I have a macbook 2.16ghz bought in June 07. Im wanting to buy a western digital 320gb external drive, which is supposed to be powered by the usb port.

I read somewhere it takes 600 MA to power it, and someone said it took 1000MA to power it. In system profiler it says my macbook's usb supports 500MA, which really surprised me since its a pretty new computer.

My question is if anyone has a 320gb passport drive on the same generation macbook i have that works. Or if you need a y cable to do it.

haxderek

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
Panama City, FL
I have a macbook 2.16ghz bought in June 07. Im wanting to buy a western digital 320gb external drive, which is supposed to be powered by the usb port.

I read somewhere it takes 600 MA to power it, and someone said it took 1000MA to power it. In system profiler it says my macbook's usb supports 500MA, which really surprised me since its a pretty new computer.

My question is if anyone has a 320gb on the same generation macbook i have, and if it works without a 20 dollar y cable.

Sorry if this seems irrelevant. I have a 250gb WD passport (usb-powered) and it works fine with my Macbook 2.0ghz bought in march 07.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

My question is if anyone has a 320gb passport drive on the same generation macbook i have that works. Or if you need a y cable to do it.

Ignore, forgot I was in the Macbook forum.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ

The USB spec allows for a maximum of 500mA per port. Anything higher is out of spec. Based on this, one cannot honestly expect Apple to provide USB ports with higher power ratings.

benjaminbr

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
The USB spec allows for a maximum of 500mA per port. Anything higher is out of spec. Based on this, one cannot honestly expect Apple to provide USB ports with higher power ratings.

I hope you meant that as sarcasm, or else you haven't kept up with the Air usb superdrive debacle.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I hope you meant that as sarcasm, or else you haven't kept up with the Air usb superdrive debacle.

It was a minor jab at Apple's policy of adhering to standards only when the company feels it is necessary. While other manufacturers may occasionally use out-of-spec components in their products, they are relatively consistent in comparison.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
YES it will work!

But it doesn't work in one of the extra ports from the Apple Keyboard, not enough power.

Straight into the Macbook works fine.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
So, will it work or not??

Hiya tennismanclay,

Hope this helps you. I have my old 2.5" WD 250Gb Drive in an external case and it's plugged directly into my MBP. I can assure you it works fine... and I can honestly say the 320Gb version will also be find cause both drives draw the same amount of current.

However, if your plugging it into a non-powered USB hub or attaching it to a USB keyboard, then it won't function correctly as nither the Hub or older Apple keyboards offer sufficient current.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hiya tennismanclay,

Hope this helps you. I have my old 2.5" WD 250Gb Drive in an external case and it's plugged directly into my MBP. I can assure you it works fine... and I can honestly say the 320Gb version will also be find cause both drives draw the same amount of current.

However, if your plugging it into a non-powered USB hub or attaching it to a USB keyboard, then it won't function correctly as nither the Hub or older Apple keyboards offer sufficient current.

This should be a qualified yes; I've seen issues when the system has multiple external devices connected FW, USB at the same time and attempts to add addl external drive fails, requiring a powered case or connecting to a powered hub.

If the external USB drive is the only heavy draw it should work just fine.

Cheers,

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I have a 320gb Simpletech external HDD and it requires 2 ports, if that helps at all, it probably varies by brand though.

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
I have a western digital that won't work. Can anyone reccomend a cable long enough to reach around both ports?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I have a western digital that won't work. Can anyone reccomend a cable long enough to reach around both ports?

It didn't come with a 2-->1 USB cable? I believe WD sells one.

As for the OP, my 500GB 2.5" Seagate external drive works just fine with 1 plug. There's a 2nd "power" USB head on the cable but I don't need to use it. (Unibody MacBook)

bamabruin

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I have a 250gb WD Passport that used to work fine with the macbook, but now doesn't, and makes a clicking sound. The weird part is the same drive still works fine when plugged in to a PC. Could this is a USB Power issue on my macbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.