Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
After I installed Panther there was this new tab in Preferences called Hardware; I attached a screenshot of it. By default my L2 cache was set to "None", but I changed it to 512KB.

Is this tab designed so that you can turn off the L2 cache in order to increase battery life? Anyone know it's purpose? Also, when I checked the "Show Control in Menu Bar", nothing shows up in the menu bar. I'm just wondering where this came from.

Note: I also installed XCode and CHUD so it might have come from that. Any ideas?

Attachments

• picture 1.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 231

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Re: What is the new Hardware Tab in Preferences?

Originally posted by illumin8
Note: I also installed XCode and CHUD so it might have come from that. Any ideas?
It's part of CHUD--just lets you fiddle with some processor settings for testing purposes.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
It is part of CHUD

I updated my CHUD after installing to the latest version, and now it's properly reporting the type of CPU (Motorola 7457) and L2 cache (512k).

Not that this utility is all that useful; I'm really not sure what it's for (hardware benchmarking or something).

Thanks for the info.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Its probably for compatibility testing too. You can turn off one processor (if you have a dual system) and see how well your program runs. Now I don't see why you would want to turn off your L2 cache....espically if you only have 256k (1ghz eMac here).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.