PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 1.25GHz, 1.25GB ram, and Leopard

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 12:19 AM
I acquired a Powerbook G4 in a trade with a friend. It currently has no OS installed, and dont know what to buy

Here are the specs

15" Aluminum
1.25 GHz G4
1.25 GB Ram
64mb Vram
80 GB HD

Will Leopard run well on that? I usually have these programs running at the same time. Chat, Mail, iTines, Firefox (with 5-10 tabs). Occasionally, I will have other things open as well. Will it lag too much to the point it is not going to be enjoyable to use? Or will it work smoothly? I occasionally use garageband also.

Is 250 GB the largest HD I can get for it?

Edit: I think I will max out the ram, then get the larger/faster hard drive. 1 gig sticks of PC 2700 are going for 50 shipped on ebay, and its actually a brand I use in my old iBook, so I trust it.

$100 for ram
$90 for faster/larger HD
$120 for Leopard
+_____________________
= $310 for everything

I don't mind spending the money, but will this be worth it? I want to breathe new life into this Powerbook. It needs to last me 2 more years, until I graduate college.

Sorry for all the questions, but I GREATLY appreciate the help

gregdrummeraz
Mar 9, 2008, 12:25 AM
I acquired a Powerbook G4 in a trade with a friend. It currently has no OS installed, and dont know what to buy

Here are the specs

15" Aluminum
1.25 GHz G4
1.25 GB Ram
64mb Vram
80 GB HD

Will Leopard run well on that? I usually have these programs running at the same time. Chat, Mail, iTines, Firefox (with 5-10 tabs). Occasionally, I will have other things open as well. Will it lag too much to the point it is not going to be enjoyable to use? Or will it work smoothly? I occasionally use garageband also.

I am also considering getting a 5200 RPM HD. Will it help any? Or am I better off investing in more ram?

I think it will run fine but that's just me! :p

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 12:30 AM
I think it will run fine but that's just me! :p

Thanks! The quick reply is appreciated :)

powerbook911
Mar 9, 2008, 12:55 AM
The hard drive and RAM would help.

RAM would be easier to do, and it would help for sure. Leopard loves memory.

I have a 1.5 GHZ G4 Powerbook with 1.25 GB (the max on my little 12-incher), and Leopard runs ok. Most things are as good or better than they were on Leopard.

I have a modern iMac as well, so it's not like I only know old machines. I don't use my Powerbook for a lot of stuff, but I still enjoy it, and it handles Leopard nicely. I say the joy of the current OS is worth it even on a machine like our Powerbooks.

tony-in-japan
Mar 9, 2008, 01:17 AM
I have a 12" Powerbook (768mb ram/1Ghz) with both Leopard and Tiger.

My advice is it depends of what you are going to use it for and what software. If you are using it for just basic stuff like internet, word processing, movies, listening to music, etc, then Leopard would be fine on that Powerbook.

As for me, I use Tiger for 90% of the time simply because I do lots of Adobe CS work. CS runs great on Tiger but is not compatible with Leopard.

If you can, my advice would be to partition your drive and install both Tiger and Leopard on each partition. Then you can choose the best of both worlds until you are sure all you applications work smoothly in Leopard after a few weeks. If you experience problems, just switch back to Tiger.

Tiger seems like a much more mature OS than Leopard at the moment for G4 machines, in my opinion. Although I miss ‘spaces’ and ‘quick-look’ in Leopard, I prefer the current stability of Tiger.

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 01:19 AM
I think I will max out the ram, then get the larger/faster hard drive. 1 gig sticks of PC 2700 are going for 50 shipped on ebay, and its actually a brand I use in my old iBook.

$100 for ram
$90 for faster/larger HD
$120 for Leopard
+_____________________
= $310 for everything

I don't mind spending the money, but will this be worth it? I want to breathe new life into this Powerbook. It needs to last me 2 more years,3 until I graduate college.

EDIT:

If you can, my advice would be to partition your drive and install both Tiger and Leopard on each partition. Then you can choose the best of both worlds until you are sure all you applications work smoothly in Leopard after a few weeks. If you experience problems, just switch back to Tiger.

Tiger seems like a much more mature OS than Leopard at the moment for G4 machines, in my opinion. Although I miss ‘spaces’ and ‘quick-look’ in Leopard, I prefer the current stability of Tiger.

Thats a great idea, I will most likely end up doing that. But yes, the majority of my usage is Firefox, iTunes, Word, iCal, Garageband, Mail, and Aperture

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion?

KingYaba
Mar 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
Nero9171, will this be your first Macintosh? I ask because if you have a Tiger (OS 10.4) disk lying around I would suggest saving $120. Of course Leopard will run, but $300 being put into that G4 seems a little high.

catachip
Mar 9, 2008, 01:30 PM

Here are the specs

15" Aluminum
1.25 GHz G4
1.25 GB Ram
64mb Vram
80 GB HD

Will Leopard run well on that?

$100 for ram
$90 for faster/larger HD
$120 for Leopard
+_____________________
= $310 for everything

I don't mind spending the money, but will this be worth it? I want to breathe new life into this Powerbook. It needs to last me 2 more years, until I graduate college.

1.25 GB is already the maximum amount of RAM this computer will accept - you can't add any more. If you upgrade the hard drive, I would recommend putting in a 7,200 RPM drive to get the maximum performance benefit out of an otherwise lagging computer.

Leopard will run just fine - I installed it on a similar computer recently. The 12" PowerBook is a gem of a machine. Keep it!

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
Nero9171, will this be your first Macintosh? I ask because if you have a Tiger (OS 10.4) disk lying around I would suggest saving $120. Of course Leopard will run, but $300 being put into that G4 seems a little high.
Its my first, but I use my friends all the time, and he said he had an extra license that I could use.

1.25 GB is already the maximum amount of RAM this computer will accept - you can't add any more. If you upgrade the hard drive, I would recommend putting in a 7,200 RPM drive to get the maximum performance benefit out of an otherwise lagging computer.

Leopard will run just fine - I installed it on a similar computer recently. The 12" PowerBook is a gem of a machine. Keep it!

Ok, so then $50 for the ram, 0-129 for the os (depending if I get leopard), and the hard drive. I havent looked at 7200's, but any idea how cheap a 120 or 160 is? The money I am saving on the ram, and possibly OS will give me some extra money to spend.

I know this isnt a 7200, but will it work? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Laptop-Notebook-ATA-IDE-Hard-Drive-250-GB-2-5_W0QQitemZ150223145486QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

catachip
Mar 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
I know this isnt a 7200, but will it work? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Laptop-Notebook-ATA-IDE-Hard-Drive-250-GB-2-5_W0QQitemZ150223145486QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any 2.5" hard drive with a maximum height of 9.5 mm will work. I don't see a height on this posting, but, 9.5 mm is standard and I assume that is what this is. I would suggest newegg.com for your purchase. Their prices are very good and their selection is great.

You can get up to a 200 GB drive at 7200 RPM right now. Or a 160 GB, like this one ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145180 ) for $130. Poke around the website to find the others, just remember the specs I posted above.

I would seriously recommend getting a 7,200 RPM drive. This will let you eek as much as you can out of the machine. Unless an extra 50 GB of slower storage is going to make or break you.

Know that the 12" PowerBook is in high demand now - it is the most popular laptop Apple ever made. I sold a 1.33 Ghz PowerBook with an 80 GB drive and 1.25 GB of RAM on Facebook (of all places) for $850.

EDIT: For some reason, I read he had a 12" PowerBook, not a 15". Sorry.

deadpixels
Mar 9, 2008, 02:29 PM
1.25 GB is already the maximum amount of RAM this computer will accept - you can't add any more.

where exactly did you get that from? i had the same machine with 2gb RAM and it works just fine. my little brother still use it (it's over 4 years old and runs like a champ) to the OP you will be just fine with 2gb RAM.
here is the RAM specs from Mactracker

catachip
Mar 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
where exactly did you get that from? i had the same machine with 2gb RAM and it works just fine. my little brother still use it (it's over 4 years old and runs like a champ) to the OP you will be just fine with 2gb RAM.
here is the RAM specs from Mactracker

Yikes, sorry! My mistake... I have totally been posting while thinking it was a 12" PowerBook. You're right, the max is 2 GB.

deadpixels
Mar 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
no harm done, i'm never wrong and i'm always right :D

joeybagadonutz
Mar 9, 2008, 05:47 PM
Any 2.5" hard drive with a maximum height of 9.5 mm will work. I don't see a height on this posting, but, 9.5 mm is standard and I assume that is what this is. I would suggest newegg.com for your purchase. Their prices are very good and their selection is great.

You can get up to a 200 GB drive at 7200 RPM right now. Or a 160 GB, like this one ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145180 ) for $130. Poke around the website to find the others, just remember the specs I posted above.

I would seriously recommend getting a 7,200 RPM drive. This will let you eek as much as you can out of the machine. Unless an extra 50 GB of slower storage is going to make or break you.

Know that the 12" PowerBook is in high demand now - it is the most popular laptop Apple ever made. I sold a 1.33 Ghz PowerBook with an 80 GB drive and 1.25 GB of RAM on Facebook (of all places) for $850.

EDIT: For some reason, I read he had a 12" PowerBook, not a 15". Sorry.

Please be careful about "any 2.5". The linked HD above is a SATA drive. The older Powerbooks take the older ATA (IDE) or PATA drives. I think they max out around 120 GB at 7200.

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, I get home and look at all the help I got :D

So what would be the best thing to do first? Max out the ram, or get the 200GB 7200 RPM drive? I am willing to sacrifice data storage for better performance.

This may be off topic, and possibly the wrong place, so tell me if that is so. But I was told that the Powerbook is worth $650-700. Would I be better off selling it on Ebay, having roughly 600 clear, then use that with the money I planned on spending above for performance upgrades to get an Intel Macbook?

I just like to think of all my options

Westsider 4 Mac
Mar 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
I LOVE my PBG4, but everyday that goes by, you start to realize that you need to catch up to now. That means intel MBP models.:):apple:

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 08:46 PM
I LOVE my PBG4, but everyday that goes by, you start to realize that you need to catch up to now. That means intel MBP models.:):apple:
I wish I could, but I dont have the money until I get out of college. :(

Hopefully this machine will last me 2 years.... I may sell it if you guys think otherwise

joeybagadonutz
Mar 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
If you keep the PB, upgrade the RAM first. You can get a 1 GB stick for < $70. That would max your RAM at 2 GB and give you the best performance/$.

You could sell the PB and add the "upgrade money" and get a refurbished Macbook. However, no OS on your PB is your main problem. You should install an OS and test the machine before adding upgrades.

harrymohan
Mar 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have Powerbook 1.33 Ghz 17" with 512 MB ram and Leopard runs fine, 80 Gigs is also enough, I dont think with already 1.25 GB Ram you need more!

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 10:10 PM
If you keep the PB, upgrade the RAM first. You can get a 1 GB stick for < $70. That would max your RAM at 2 GB and give you the best performance/$.

You could sell the PB and add the "upgrade money" and get a refurbished Macbook. However, no OS on your PB is your main problem. You should install an OS and test the machine before adding upgrades.

I'm thinking the refurbished macbook would be better in the long run. The Intel should last me longer

crees!
Mar 9, 2008, 10:23 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion? I have that exact machine but with 1.5GB RAM. Adobe's CS3 does run a little bit slower than CS2, but I haven't been using it much. For the programs you mention it should be just fine. I've had my machine for 4 1/2 years and expect to have it for at least another 1 to 2 before upgrading to something new.

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 10:32 PM
I have that exact machine but with 1.5GB RAM. Adobe's CS3 does run a little bit slower than CS2, but I haven't been using it much. For the programs you mention it should be just fine. I've had my machine for 4 1/2 years and expect to have it for at least another 1 to 2 before upgrading to something new.

Hearing what I highlighted in bold really helped. I know this thing wont get me 5 years, all I need out of it is 2. By then, I will be making enough to buy whatever the new beauty is that :apple: came out with

What OS are you running?

lord patton
Mar 9, 2008, 10:39 PM
If you can sell it for a lot, and you are fine with a MacBook, go for the refurb. The $850 refurb MacBook is an amazing deal... I mean, it was the current model just a few weeks ago.

If you're keeping the PB, get Leopard on it. As others have said, it runs fine on my 12" PB (1.5 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM).

If the drive in there now is 4200 RPM, I'd change that out first. You have enough RAM for casual use, but that drive is pretty slow.

joeybagadonutz
Mar 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
Also, check your battery SN
https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp

Nero9171
Mar 9, 2008, 10:55 PM
I checked the battery, its good.

I am very torn between keeping it and selling it for a Macbook. Could I get a few personal opinions? I dont care that the Macbook is considered lower end to the average person. I just want the best performance

thegord
Mar 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
im using the same machine right now with leopard, dashboard lags a bit but everthing works pretty much fine photoshop etc on this one.. my ram is maxed at 2 gigs. i just bought a mac pro so this is just for net stuff basically
:)

CanadaRAM
Mar 9, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hang on before buying eBay RAM -- Your 1.25 GHz AlBook uses processor-slewing, and most PC2700 SODIMMs will crash and burn as soon as the machine goes into power save mode because almost all SODIMMs are not processor slewing compatible.

For that machine I highly recommend that you purchase from a knowlegeable dealer who knows the difference between these machines and other PBG4's, and guarantees compatibility.

If you are selecting your own RAM, then only choose Samsung original modules (not Samsung chips on someone else's board), these will have a white sticker with the blue Samsung oval logo on it.

latestmonkey
Mar 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hang on before buying eBay RAM -- Your 1.25 GHz AlBook uses processor-slewing, and most PC2700 SODIMMs will crash and burn as soon as the machine goes into power save mode because almost all SODIMMs are not processor slewing compatible.

For that machine I highly recommend that you purchase from a knowlegeable dealer who knows the difference between these machines and other PBG4's, and guarantees compatibility.

If you are selecting your own RAM, then only choose Samsung original modules (not Samsung chips on someone else's board), these will have a white sticker with the blue Samsung oval logo on it.

YES YES YES! Be VERY CAREFUL with the ram. I have this exact same powerbook and I bought the ram recommended by Crucial and it still crapped out. Gotta get the original stuff.

lord patton
Mar 10, 2008, 12:09 AM
Can you ever see yourself doing video in the next 2 years? Anything such as:

ripping and converting DVD.
downloading and converting youTube videos.
Uploading from a camera or DVcam and cutting short clips.
Scoring audio for an video for fun.

When it comes to an processor intensive video tasks, the intels make the G4s look a horse and buggy at the indy 500.

Nero9171
Mar 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
Can you ever see yourself doing video in the next 2 years? Anything such as:

ripping and converting DVD.
downloading and converting youTube videos.
Uploading from a camera or DVcam and cutting short clips.
Scoring audio for an video for fun.

When it comes to an processor intensive video tasks, the intels make the G4s look a horse and buggy at the indy 500.
I rip/convert all my DVD's that I purchase. An AVI backup, and MP4 for my touch. I dont really see myself doing much of that on any notebook, as I keep them on my desktop until I want them. No need wasting my notebooks HD space.

But I may want to start cutting and making video's. Is that totally not doable on the G4 I have?

latestmonkey
Mar 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
I rip/convert all my DVD's that I purchase. An AVI backup, and MP4 for my touch. I dont really see myself doing much of that on any notebook, as I keep them on my desktop until I want them. No need wasting my notebooks HD space.

But I may want to start cutting and making video's. Is that totally not doable on the G4 I have?

not unless you want to pull your hair out.

Nero9171
Mar 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
not unless you want to pull your hair out.

Is Garageband going to be the same? Or will I be able to do that?

latestmonkey
Mar 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
Is Garageband going to be the same? Or will I be able to do that?

I never used garageband. I did do some audio editing with audacity.

Video is what is just unbearable. Still, I could rip DVDs, DVD2ONE, etc no problem. You just dont want to be doing anything more than LIGHT video editing.

foeniox
Mar 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
hey, exactly the same machine as you
with:
ram at 2gb
hd at 7200rpm

i totally agree with the poster above about not wanting to do anything other than light video editing on this machine, its not bad and it will just about get you through the next 2 years, but i would highly suggest getting a macbook if you possibly possibly can. saying that, i've maxed everything out and overclocked the gpu a little, and if i really had no other choice it might take me through the next 2 years, its just compared to even the previous gen macbooks there really is no contest. This powerbook's geekbench score is around 600 (670max), whereas macbooks were around 2000 on their 1st generation, now theyre around 2500/2600. it is an absolutely massive difference.

in answer to your garageband requests, currently i have the latest webkit build(think safari) with 5 tabs, mail, itunes and a pdf open.
garageband took 31 secs to launch.

when using it its fine, i've never have many issues, but the beachball will become your friend, also spaces and elements of the gui hang at time while its crunching.

there is one other thing i will say, youtube destroys this computer, adobe really need to sort out their flash player.

shout if you want to know anything else

b

joeybagadonutz
Mar 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
Benchmark comparison in article: http://www.macworld.com/article/132407/2008/03/macbookprocore2duo.html

Squonk
Mar 10, 2008, 01:00 PM

YES YES YES! Be VERY CAREFUL with the ram. I have this exact same powerbook and I bought the ram recommended by Crucial and it still crapped out. Gotta get the original stuff.

Please heed this warning! I have a 1.25GHz and went through the educational process on this as well. :)

I have a Seagate 5400.3 (5400rpm perpendicular drive) in mine, and it made a huge difference over the the stock 4200rpm drive.

That all being said, I'm getting set to sell mine to buy that $849 refurb MacBook to replace it. If I didn't have the MacPro with a 20" screen, I'd probably just keep the 15" until I could replace it with a MBP. I'm hoping to get as much as $600 for my machine based on what I've seen on eBay based on the condition of mine, big hard drive, all original packaging, etc.

If you are keeping the PB, here is the order I would do the upgrades:
1) faster, bigger hard drive
2) Leopard
3) RAM if you find that you are paging out based on how you use the system