PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital Passport drives for internal use?

Nuks
Mar 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey everyone, just a few questions about a new hard drive

I'm looking to increase my internal storage, and right now I'm potentially looking at buying a 2.5" external drive, and then taking out the 60 gigs in my macbook now and doing a switch. While I'd love to have two drives of equal capacities for time machine, the funds just aren't there right now.

Anyway, I was looking at this drive: WD 160gb Passport (http://www.jumbocomputers.ca/index.php?do=Product&cmd=pd&pid=000793&cid=812.189.471)

Am I able to take this apart and put my current 60gb drive in it? And then use the 160gb for an internal? Or would it make more sense to buy an internal drive and an external enclosure..

Also, should I instead get the Seagate drive, which is the same price, 40 less gbs, but a 5 year warranty. How likely are these things to break?

Also, how does one go about switching the drives? I know the physical aspect of it, but how do I make sure OS X runs the same? I have a time machine backup right now, am I able to use that for a complete restore?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cave Man
Mar 9, 2008, 09:47 AM
Your MacBook takes a SATA. The external could be either SATA or PATA and the only way to know is to open the enclosure. It's probably SATA, but you cannot be certain.

Sage Harupyuia
Mar 9, 2008, 09:54 AM
Your MacBook takes a SATA. The external could be either SATA or PATA and the only way to know is to open the enclosure. It's probably SATA, but you cannot be certain.

For externals, its more likely to be PATA.

unless you paid top dollar for your external hdd, then there's a chance it would be SATA.

OT: i always prefer to buy the enclosure and hdd separately and then fix them together: at least you know what interface your hdd uses. Its much better than getting on of those ready-sealed ones and start guessing PATA or SATA.

Cave Man
Mar 9, 2008, 10:04 AM
For externals, its more likely to be PATA. unless you paid top dollar for your external hdd, then there's a chance it would be SATA.

SATA drives are now less expensive to manufacture than PATA drives, so I wouldn't bet on it. If you check prices of 500 gig 3.5" drives, the PATAs are usually about $20 more. I don't know of any manufacturer who puts PATA drives in their computers now. Only Apple TV ships with one in Apple's line up.

benjaminbr
Mar 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
According to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ0bgz3tyNk), it works. Just ignore the music. I plan on doing this with my macbook, once i get it (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Hard-Drive/dp/B0010TZR44/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205095333&sr=8-1).

Cave Man
Mar 9, 2008, 04:06 PM
According to this, it works.

You could very well lead the OP astray with this suggestion. That video is a 320 gig drive, not a 160 as the OP is looking at. While all 320 gig 2.5" drives are SATA, not all 160 gig drives are.

benjaminbr
Mar 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ah, yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Well, double the size for only 60 dollars more...

xraydoc
Mar 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
The 160GB drive that was in my WD Passport is SATA and is now inside my wife's MacBook Pro and the 100GB 7200 RPM from the MBP is now inside the WD Passport case.

pathofkarma
Feb 25, 2010, 01:48 AM
Today I bought a passport, hoping to get the Scorpio internal drive, and a nice little enclosure for 5 dollars more. However, once i took it apart, the internal is some new stranged 2.5" drive, that wasnt SATA. it actually had the USB component soldered in, and no SATA connectors. It wasnt ATA either, and ive seen lots of drives, i think WD custom makes these guys to fit in such a small case, the USB connector is literally attached directly to the drive.

Also it came with this software, WD Smartware, so overall, save yourself the headache, and if you are looking for an internal, just get the scorpio blue (or black) internal.

Cave Man
Feb 26, 2010, 06:37 AM
Yes, WD has done this for some time now, but I'm not aware of the other companies doing it. Just one more reason to avoid WD, IMO. The drive is a SATA drive, but it has a USB bridge soldered to it.

irock2drums
Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
I recently bought a WD Passport Essential SE external HDD.

This one here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=430

Will I be able to install this into my MacBook just like a regular 2.5" HDD if I take off the outside case?

Thanks,
-irock2drums

logana
Feb 3, 2012, 03:34 AM
Please read the post above yours - WD drives have the USB bridge soldered to the drive - so no you won't be able to take it apart and use the drive in your MacBook !!