PDA

View Full Version : More from NVidia for Mac..

arn
May 2, 2002, 12:52 PM
mcrain provides details from this ZDNet article (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-896996.html) discussing NVidia's future plans:

In general, they talk of an upcoming chip design:

The new chip will be manufactured on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s latest 0.13-micron manufacturing process, Huang said. Huang did not reveal the name or specific features of the chip, but did say it was a fundamentally new architecture from the GeForce 4 Titanium introduced earlier this year.

Huang also claims that they expect to have the largest share of the Mac market "very soon." And finally:

"You are going to see many more exciting introductions in [the Mac] space"

sparkleytone
May 2, 2002, 12:57 PM
think this may have something to do with the other rumors about an Apple-branded video card??

I vaguely remember the source saying they "may or may not be working with NVIDIA"

wow, i think that's the first time i've been first to reply to an arnicle post. ;)

arn
May 2, 2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
think this may have something to do with the other rumors about an Apple-branded video card??

I vaguely remember the source saying they "may or may not be working with NVIDIA"

Good memory... yep - you are correct....

Here's the previous article... and I've updated today's story to reflect it

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/04/20020416215044.shtml

arn

Mr. Anderson
May 2, 2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by arn
"You are going to see many more exciting introductions in [the Mac] space"

But they were mentioning the eMac in the previous sentence, which has the NVidia card too. Could there be a big eSale coming soon? With the iBooks going to Maine and Texas making iBooks required, more states getting behind the eMac would increase sales tremdously. That's got to make them happy. Just as long as the relationship remains as good as it is now, we'll see some good stuff for Apple in the next couple Revs of all the NVidia equiped machines.:D

Megaquad
May 2, 2002, 01:19 PM
when LCD iMac would have at least GeForce 4 MX (or Radeon 7500) graphics i would probably have it right now on my desk..

crawdad62
May 2, 2002, 01:21 PM
I'd like to see NVidia and Apple come together and FIX the stuff they already have in the pipeline. My 17" studio and PowerMac G4 933 don't like each other. Ooops! There goes another flash.

mischief
May 2, 2002, 01:30 PM
1. Nvidia/Apple "supercard" with 2 GPU's and 256Mb of DDR, etc, etc.

2. AMD coprocessor for superceeding the need for Virtual PC.

3. Open GL based GUI running directly from the GPU to replace Aqua.

Keep in mind, Developer con's rarely cover imminent changes. If they did Developers would be jumping ship like rats on Meth. There needs to be between one and four quarters worth of rev time for key changes like these.

mcrain
May 2, 2002, 01:58 PM
1-4 quarters of rev time... How long has OSX been around? I know a lot of people have openly hoped for a lot of changes to the OSX aqua interface and stuff like that. You don't suppose that OSX in its present form is nothing more than a semi-enabled version of something else? I mean, if you put in a lot of the stuff that will be in the next change, but not all of it, that allows developers to know that when they make changes that work on this version, they will work on teh next.

This is the Aqua that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

mischief
May 2, 2002, 03:27 PM
I think that's EXACTLY what's going on.:D

ennerseed
May 2, 2002, 04:01 PM
Apple's holdout on "major" changes could be because of the Apple Microsoft technology exchange deal...
now that has ended...

Phaedrus
May 2, 2002, 08:19 PM
A couple of days ago I read an interview with the head of nvidia (don't remember where--you guys probably saw it too) in which he discussed how GPUs are not bound by Moore's Law like CPUs are. He said that within a year nvidia would manufacture a card that would blur the distinction between digital movies and digital games. I'll leave it to the more technically saavy of you to work out the implications here, but wouldn't such a card make current aqua look glacial by comparison?