PDA

View Full Version : how to sell an iBook?

TC2COOL
Mar 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
I have a buyer for my old iBook. I am going to deliver next week, and before I do, I want to wipe all the personal info I can. Does anyone know an easy way? What do ya'll think I should look out for that would be easy to miss?

Kalafut
Mar 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have a buyer for my old iBook. I am going to deliver next week, and before I do, I want to wipe all the personal info I can. Does anyone know an easy way? What do ya'll think I should look out for that would be easy to miss?

just use your installation disk and reformat the hard drive and that should do it, although if your selling it to a computer expert that likes to steal stuff there is a way to still get info off the disk there is no way to fully get rid of everything on it.
but chances are the guy isn't that smart or mean.

MacDann
Mar 9, 2008, 05:02 PM
Disk Utility has an erase function that allows you to choose the level of erasure, that is, how many times it writes 1s and 0s to the drive. If you're not in a hurry and overly paranoid, re-partition the drive then do a 5 or 7 pass erase. That's about as close to a DoD approved erase as you're going to get.

MacDann