Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wanderlust4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Can anybody please tell me the best program for making slideshows from your pictures etc etc. Was using Proshow Gold before i got a Mac..
Cheers.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi!

I use iPhoto's built-in slideshow feature. Does everything I need. Simple and elegant.

You can even start a slideshow directly from Finder. Highlight the desired pictures, command-click on them, hold down option and select Slideshow ... Items

/Rupert

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
yeh ...

for windows I would vote for Photo Story 3..... but for OS X iPhoto is the absolute easiest way to make a professional slideshow, either that or try Apple Keynote.. it has some unbelievable transitions to work with...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you want something web based (like a slideshow embedded in your web site) - check out SlideShow Pro. Cheap, powerful, customizable and flash (harder to copy images). It comes in versions for Flash or Lightroom.

M2DVD

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Nashville, TN
Tribute slideshow

We make many slideshows using iphoto, imovie as well as photo to movie. We've just used (and are very happy with fotomagico).

What I'd like to know is where these people get these beautiful themed slideshows that seem to have pictures matted and imbedded into moving landscapes and such. I know the pics had to be dragged and dropped into zones (because they are commercially done and reproduced quickly for funeral homes and such). But what what software are they using?

The tribute slideshow I watched yesterday at one of the leading funeral homes in the city was awesome. It seemed the photographs hovered, panned and slightly rotated against a moving background (of falling water, sky, etc).

Is there a program available to do this?

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
We make many slideshows using iphoto, imovie as well as photo to movie. We've just used (and are very happy with fotomagico).

What I'd like to know is where these people get these beautiful themed slideshows that seem to have pictures matted and imbedded into moving landscapes and such. I know the pics had to be dragged and dropped into zones (because they are commercially done and reproduced quickly for funeral homes and such). But what what software are they using?

The tribute slideshow I watched yesterday at one of the leading funeral homes in the city was awesome. It seemed the photographs hovered, panned and slightly rotated against a moving background (of falling water, sky, etc).

Is there a program available to do this?

this is my question as well - I see some awesome stuff out there and I know it's not all hard coded using vegas or FC. iphoto is too lame and fotomagico and photo to movie etc are ok for ken burns stuff, but not what I'm looking for.

(i know this is an old thread, but I've been doing slideshows for 5-6 years and still am looking for that one magic product).

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
One of my freelancer friends swears by ShowIt. I just DL'd the trial, which watermarks. I have a good Epson projector I use for reception slideshows made in FCP in advance. I make it the client's responsibility to procure a screen which means I'll have to get one for what I would like to do, which is... After shooting everything leading up to the reception, I want an assistant to make a quick slideshow presenting the images for the guests to see, and getting them excited about ordering prints (by having the relevant info present). I guess it's worked very well for David Jay.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Just checked it out, looks like it sells on quick and easy setup, but the demo played is pretty straightforward image pans, which is nothing you can't already do in iphoto.

Probably a great tool for the wedding or event photographer if it's as quick as it claims, but I'm looking for more flexibility.

For example: I've got an idea for a soccer video right now with background video over which I will have falling images rotated away from the viewer, like a waterfall. I've seen similar things on the sports shows many times, but to do it by hand in FC would take forever. I'm just surprised there isn't a consumer way to do this.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
A woman came into the studio last week with a memorial slideshow for her daughter (car accident) that was produced by the local funeral home. The mother was not pleased with the instrumentals they used, she gave me a CD of her daughter's favorite songs and asked me to apply which tracks I thought would work on the video, and make copies. All the transitions they used were cross dissolves, with a little video of waterfalls thrown in here and there, nothing special. I captured it with DVDXPro, and took care of the rest in FCP.

Ironically though, about 2 weeks prior to her coming in, I started interviewing (with the Snowball USB condenser mic - works pretty damn good) family members for a tribute DVD I'm producing for my mom who passed last year from cancer (I'm up late scanning more images right now). I'm using FCP adding some of my dad's home videos, the voiceovers, special effects, etc. What I'm doing for my mom is going to be a labor-of-love, time intensive, one-off. The ShowIt program, I'm going to try, I think will be ideal for weddings. However, I would love to find out what software the funeral home mentioned in M2DVD's post is using as well.

M2DVD, could you do me a favor and give them a call and try to find out? If you don't want to or think they'll decline to say, do me a favor and post their phone # for me, I think I can get it out of them. Thanks.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Just a follow-up, I ended up buying Pulpmotion Advanced to add to my trick bag of editing software. It's got some neat features and is pretty easy to use and -incredibly- fast rendering output. A lot of the "book" type presets are not for me, but I was able to use some of their themes with good results, incorportating them into a FCE project mixed with video.

It's fairly expensive, but it allows more effects than any other software I've demoed.

Anyone else checking this topic might want to check them out.

http://www.aquafadas.com

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Just a follow-up, I ended up buying Pulpmotion Advanced to add to my trick bag of editing software. It's got some neat features and is pretty easy to use and -incredibly- fast rendering output. A lot of the "book" type presets are not for me, but I was able to use some of their themes with good results, incorportating them into a FCE project mixed with video.

It's fairly expensive, but it allows more effects than any other software I've demoed.

Anyone else checking this topic might want to check them out.

http://www.aquafadas.com

Did you also try Fotomagico? I'm curious if you tried both and settled on PM or if you just went with PM.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Yes, I tried both.

Cool - I'm going to give it a try. I had ProShow Gold for the PC and I really liked it. Unfortunately they don't make a Mac version so I have been looking around for a replacement. V2 of PM looks pretty solid and the interface is similar to the ProShow interface.

I have made some fun slideshows in iMovie, but I would like something with a little more zing. PM V2 may be the winner! Thanks for the update.

TLogan

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Need an email slideshow program to send to clients

Hi Everyone,
This is a little more specific. I've looked at the programs descriptions from this page, but what Im after is a program to create slideshows that I can then email to clients. So they will open the Attachment and somehow get a slideshow with their images that i created to open On their computer.

I'm sure some of the apps can do it, but it's hard to tell which ones from the descriptions..
Has anybody tried an app that could do this already? if so could you please tell me which one?

thank you very much for any help.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
For showing photo's on the Internet, jalbum is very nice. Can be customized, had a slideshow option. And is free ( however the author wouldn't mind getting paid ).

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,
This is a little more specific. I've looked at the programs descriptions from this page, but what Im after is a program to create slideshows that I can then email to clients. So they will open the Attachment and somehow get a slideshow with their images that i created to open On their computer.....

Seems like YouTube would be the easiest, though not the most professional.
Slideshow for Mac seems to export to mac and windows as stand alone files. I have not tried.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I spent some considerable time trying to find a good SS programme for the Mac a few weeks back and they all seem a bit undernourished/simplistic/unprofessional shall we say. Fotomagico was what I ended up using but the timeline markers were next to useless as they weren't even on the timeline and I had to use an separate audioeditor to get them positioned at a specific timing point and then were no good anyway. Fotomagico also would drift off cue points at random as well and would need rejigging to hit cues. Not sure why Markers are missing or so useless in SS progs as they are about the most basic tool for such a programme to my mind.
Even Soundslides on the Mac is inferior to the PC version as it has a much smaller maximum window, which makes it near unusable when using a lot of images.
Using a PC/Parallels/Bootcamp... seems to be the best solution it seems for making professional slideshows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.