Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawsinio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
UK
Hi all,

I have a old school 3G iPod which I've had for ages. It still plays absolutely fine, but recently, it won't mount. It doesn't show up in disk utility, desktop, finder, iTunes, etc. I've tried re-setting the iPod and restarting it in disk mode, as well as updating iTunes, restarting my MacBook, I feel like I've tried just about everything, and it still won't mount, so I can't update it with new music which is really annoying! It still charges when I plug it in via FireWire though, but thats the only response I get from it. Is there a way of force mounting it, or anything else you guys can think of that might help?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Shawsinio

iGolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Hi, i don't want to hijack your post, (my first post and didn't want to duplicate) but i am also having the same problem with a 2Gb nano whilst trying to mount it on my imac and i hoped it might lend some weight to the post. It normally sits in a JBL speaker dock and is not updated that often. When i try to mount it it is not even recognised, but if i try to use a firewire lead (i know they don't sync with firewire!) the ipod reports the connection via firewire immediately on the ipod, so it is seeing the firewire lead and the dock connector.

iGolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Hi

Don't know if anyone's interested, but i visited the Meadowhall Apple shop (UK) with the offending iPod and the Genius inspected it with an illuminated magnifying glass to find that some of the contacts on the dock connector had worn out:(.

Be warned this is not a viable repair, the costs quoted were similar to buying a new iPod!

Hope this helps somebody

68amx

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Scroll wheel iPod won't sync w/Macbook

I'm posting to reinforce the previous threads. I have an original, 1st gen, 5g iPod (purchased 1/2002) with scroll wheel which I've used successfully for several years with an eMac - no problems. I want to start syncing with my MacBook instead, but the Macbook won't recognize the iPod, (not in iTunes or as a disk image). Here are the attempts I've tried in order to rectify the problem: restored iPod, trashed old iTunes and download latest version, reset iPod, restarted MacBook, restarted MacBook and reset iPod simultaneously. I know the MacBook will sync with an iPod because I have synced my USB iPod Shuffle with this computer successfully. I also know that the Firewire port on the MacBook works because I can use it to use the MacBook as an external drive on the eMac. I'm also sure that the scroll wheel iPod successfully syncs with eMac using the same Firewire. In short, these things have been proven: Firewire is good; Firewire port on MacBook is good; iTunes is good; iPod is in working order. Someone, please help!

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
I have a 2nd gen ipod and it works fine, however it will not mount to my macbook or my mac mini. If I had an emac or anything that it would mount to I would restore it to original settings via itunes. Then I would try to mount it to the macbook again.

68amx

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Thanks, Iknowyourider, but I've already tried that.

I mounted the iPod to my eMac as usual, no problem, and restored factory settings from there. Attempted mounting to the MacBook again, still no luck. Any more ideas? Thanks for the reply.

Malbone

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Check for cabling problems

If someone else is having this problem, check your cabling. I had the iPod hooked up to a USB hub and discovered that some of the ports don't work as well as the others -- so plugging into another port on the hub may change things. If that doesn't work, try plugging directly into a USB 2.0 port on the computer or a PCI board.

Finally, try swapping another cable. I tried this and the iPod connection came back immediately. I went back to the "bad" cable, and using finger pressure, pressed the flat metal sides of the USB plugs together to make the connection a little tighter. That worked too!

ratboyy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
bad cable

My ancient but working 3G iPod one day suddenly stopped mounting to Intel 10.4 and Intel 10.5 machines where previously there had been no problems. A friend suggested I try someone else's cable, and voila! after trying other firewire cables it worked just fine. My cable, for some reason, went bad.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I can confirm it is the cable, or perhaps the dock connector itself... I thought maybe Apple dropped support for the old FireWire iPods, but after reading this thread and wiggling my FireWire cable, my old 3G iPod finally mounted on my MacBook Pro. Awesome! :D:D:D

sedaray

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
iPod Scrollwheel 10G mounts in iTunes 7 only

iPod won't mount in iTunes 10x or 9x on Leopard PPC.
I have 2 FW cables that work fine, one goes to FW800.
iPod mounts in finder, Disk Utility sees it, I can put files on the disk and even run iTunes 10 setting the media folder on the iPod. The files are visible.
But of course the iPod itself won't play back the visible files.

iTunes 7 on my iBook sees the ipod, but won't update itself nor the ipod. (Network not available).
I called Apple, they shrugged. They said the OS X 10.4.11 was too old.
The iPod standalone updater on Apple support has a dead link (I reported it but they shrugged again.)

iTunes 7 no longer updates?
As long as my old laptop works, I can use the iPod, I guess.

Dang!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.