Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMac19

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Okay, so I'm trying to listen to a local radio station, Z93, and it just won't work. The website is http://www.z93.fm (yes, the site looks obnoxious, but they've got great music and local flavor!) When I click on the "Click Here - Listen Live" box, the streaming window appears and I can see and hear the ad, but then nothing. I've searched here and tried everything I've seen mentioned.

I've got the latest flip4mac, perian, and A52Codec all installed, and I'm using the latest firefox on a macbook.

If I click download as source, I get an .asx file, which will open in quicktime, but again, I only see the ad, and I get no audio streaming.

Any help would be much appreciated...

FYI - the steaming says something about it being an Abacast creation, and I've searched around their help archives as well, and there's nothing useful there other than a mention that they don't support OSX, but mac users can listen to the streams anyway... Whatever that means.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have had similar problems before. Get a copy of WMP for OS X, and copy the asx link into the "Go to URL" box in WMP. That should work. Failing that, you may have to parse the source code of the box that pops up from the web site looking for a mms:// link, and pasting that into WMP.

TEG

TheMac19

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Thanks for the info. I tried looking through the page source, and all I could find was: "asx/wciz.asx" and I'm not absolutely certain what the full URL might be for the stream. My guess is: http://regent.player.abacast.com/player/asx/wciz.asx but alas, again, all I get is the ad with that.

My current thought is that I might be able to use an internet radio widget (like WorldRadio), but plugging in that particular address still just gives me the ad....

And I think Windows Media Player is out because I'm on an Intel MacBook with Leopard...

Any more help?

TheMac19

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Are there any other possible solutions? I've never encountered a steam I couldn't get to play before. It seems as though I must be missing something simple here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.