Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of making a pretty in-depth video and after a few months with a MBP and iMovie 6 HD, I feel like I need something a little more.

That has led me to the proposition of buying Final Cut Express. The question is, which version should I buy? With all the changes to iMovie 08 (namely the removal of features), I have heard similar things about FCE 4.

Would it be better money spent if I got FCE 3.5 instead? I don't have much use for the new formatting capabilities as most of my movie clips are ripped DVDs.

I've heard that 2ith FCE 4, you actually LOSE LiveType Fonts and Soundtrack.

I want to save some money where I can, so would like to buy 3.5 if it will fit my needs.

HELP!

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for this link, this is some neat stuff. In yours or anyone elses experience, how do these plugins compare to any of the stuff in FCE?

I'm maybe not expecting Apple quality, but I've seen some really cheesy animated plugins.

This a great link, it definitely looks like these are pretty decent.

I basically want some additional transitions, LiveType (which doesn't look like it is offered here), and some onscreen effects or animations as well.

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
The transitions and effects are not as polished as those found in FCE, but are still good value for money if you only need 1 or 2 of the packs. Obviously if you want more than a couple of the packs, then it starts getting expensive.

The biggest problem with sticking to iMovie is that you have to wait for everything to render. In FCE it all happens in real time.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Yeah the rendering stuff is real annoying. I would imagine the transitions, etc would be less impressive than FCE, but what about as compared to iMovie?

If you bought all of the packs would there still be less than with FCE?

And (Last question, promise!), if you were to drop money on one of the two (FCE 3.5 or FCE 4), which would you suggest?

Thanks for all the help, you've been incredible!

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
I tend not to use too many fancy transitions in most of my projects as I find that the basic cuts, wipes and cross dissolves give the most professional looking results.

I think I would probably go for the most recent version of FCE, as the ability to work with different file formats is a big improvement over the previous version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.