PDA

View Full Version : On Mac OS X Upgrades :: Why Apple needs to start offering up...

MacBytes
Oct 31, 2003, 09:08 AM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: On Mac OS X Upgrades :: Why Apple needs to start offering upgrade prices (http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=582&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

eric_n_dfw
Oct 31, 2003, 09:43 AM
$130 for 10.2 was fine, but every year gets to be a bit much.

Maybe they could offer .Mac subscriber discounts or something too. :D

edesignuk
Oct 31, 2003, 10:13 AM
Yup, they must do this IMO, 99 a year is too much.

1macker1
Oct 31, 2003, 10:33 AM
Because it's a ripoff to have to get "new" software every year. I dont really see the difference between panther and jaguar. But I must say, i've only used panther 3 times.

wdlove
Oct 31, 2003, 11:18 AM
I would like to see Apple implement some sort of upgrade pricing. It would make doing the upgrade much more enticing. It will be interesting to see the statistics on how many Jaguar and OS 9 actually purchase Panther. There also needs to be more benefits added to .Mac to make it more applealing.

Nermal
Oct 31, 2003, 02:44 PM
The $129 IS an upgrade price. You need to already have a previous version of the Mac OS in order to use it.

edesignuk
Oct 31, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
The $129 IS an upgrade price. You need to already have a previous version of the Mac OS in order to use it.
How do you figure that? I never needed my 10.2 CD's.

simX
Oct 31, 2003, 03:46 PM

I must agree with edesignuk -- how do you figure that $129 is an upgrade price? You could go straight from Mac OS 9 to Panther for $129, so it can't possibly be an upgrade.

bousozoku
Oct 31, 2003, 03:57 PM
Before Mac OS X, Apple were charging 99 USD for minimal updates. Weren't there also $20 rebates for upgraders?

It really is too expensive to pay so much each year, no matter the content of the upgrade. I know that Apple have many people working on Mac OS X and they deliver a great product.

It's just not possible for all Mac OS X users to pay the price. If we look at what Apple have said concerning iTunes Music Store and fair price, they're almost promoting piracy of Mac OS X.

wdlove
Nov 1, 2003, 11:20 AM

If $129 is an upgrade price, then what would the full price for a Mac OS be?

tazo
Nov 1, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by wdlove

they dont have a full price...as far as I know.

Nermal
Nov 1, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
How do you figure that? I never needed my 10.2 CD's.

Yeah, but you already owned 10.2. Try installing Panther on a system that's never had the Mac OS on it and see how far you get.

Originally posted by simX
I must agree with edesignuk -- how do you figure that $129 is an upgrade price? You could go straight from Mac OS 9 to Panther for $129, so it can't possibly be an upgrade.

You're upgrading from 9 to Panther. It's still an upgrade.

Originally posted by wdlove

You can't buy it as a "full" because all systems that are capable of running Mac OS come with it bundled.

tazo
Nov 1, 2003, 05:32 PM
Like the rest of this guy's articles that piece was extremely well-written, persuasive and logical.

edesignuk
Nov 1, 2003, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but you already owned 10.2. Try installing Panther on a system that's never had the Mac OS on it and see how far you get.

You're upgrading from 9 to Panther. It's still an upgrade.

You can't buy it as a "full" because all systems that are capable of running Mac OS come with it bundled.
Can you provide a link to any information to prove this, because IMO you are wrong. The only upgrade discs are the $20 up-to-date CD's AFAIK.

bousozoku
Nov 1, 2003, 05:50 PM
Actually, I've erased the hard drive and removed the partition and installed 10.1, so I see no reason why 10.2 or 10.3 would not install from the retail package.

The only thing that would not work would be the up-to-date package.

Nermal
Nov 1, 2003, 07:05 PM
That's correct, it'll install onto a blank hard drive. You still paid for a full version when you bought the computer in the first place, and the one you install yourself is an upgrade. It doesn't check the hard drive for an existing version. If your system didn't come with the Mac OS, then you don't have a Mac. If you don't have a Mac, then you can't upgrade to the latest version of the OS.

To say this in a different way: If you can install OS X, then you have a Mac. If you have a Mac, then you received the full version of the Mac OS when you bought it. Therefore Apple don't need to sell a full version, and all copies of OS X sold at retail are upgrades.

I'm not saying I agree with Apple's system here, I'm just trying to justify it.