PDA

View Full Version : New eMac release soon?

tjohanne
Mar 10, 2008, 04:28 PM
I am tired of just reading about the mac mini and iMac in this forum, so I decided to start my own speculations on whether there will be a new eMac model anytime in the future. My speculations can be summed up as follows: no.

Thanks.

Tallest Skil
Mar 10, 2008, 04:30 PM
The eMac died in October 2005. If you'd like something of that nature, get a refurb or low-end iMac.

ryannel2003
Mar 10, 2008, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. I absolutely loved my eMac.

tjohanne
Mar 10, 2008, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. I absolutely loved my eMac.

Yeah. I used to admire the pictures of it back in the days, but it was way out of my budget then. It looked like a good idea and I'm sure it was a great machine!

rfruth
Mar 10, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'd love to see the eMac come back, I like many don't need a spiffy all-in-one like the iMac but the Mini doesn't have enough fire power for me (wish/hope Apple expands their desktop lineup) :D

a104375
Mar 10, 2008, 07:18 PM
I think it would be cool to get a new computer between the mini and imac and then lower the price on the mini.

brn2ski00
Mar 10, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, no chance for the eMac with the iMac acting as Apple's desktop

kkat69
Mar 10, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see the eMac come back

You kinda contradict yourself because....

I like many don't need a spiffy all-in-one like the iMac

the eMac IS an all in one.

rfruth
Mar 10, 2008, 08:02 PM
True enough the eMac IS an all in one, what I should have said is another desktop is needed (I don't want ((or want to pay for))) a slim as can be not very expanable iMac (sure its nice but not for me)

imacg32007
Mar 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
it would be cool

s.hoz
Mar 10, 2008, 10:10 PM
I use a eMac at school and it's still working fine. Of coarse, nobody has thought of updating it to Leopard..
They are great little machines.

takeabyteoutta
Mar 12, 2008, 03:22 PM
CRT is dead, as is e before anything, unless its erkel

DHagan4755
Mar 12, 2008, 03:29 PM
I use a eMac at school and it's still working fine. Of coarse, nobody has thought of updating it to Leopard..
They are great little machines.

No. The eMac was a good budget machine for the time, but I hope something like that never comes back. A pain to get into to fix, and a pain to move around. Thankfully the CRT is dead!

Poncho
Mar 12, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hey! I'm typing this on an eMac. I run CS2 and Leopard, Azureus and 20Gigs of iTunes stuff and it has never skipped a beat, even when I leave it on for months at a time.

It was born non-cool, so its looks will never date.

miloblithe
Mar 12, 2008, 07:45 PM
The eMac is done. It made sense in a transition phase while the iMac was upgraded to LCD and LCDs were too expensive. Now they're pretty inexpensive. It would be nice to see Apple supporting the market though with a 17 or 20 inch low-end iMac. They had this before, but they've dropped it from the lineup currently. The target price should be $800.

Makosuke
Mar 12, 2008, 09:11 PM
Actually, from a certain perspective, an "eMac" is still available.

That is to say, when it was new, the eMac was filling in a gap in Apple's lineup below the pricier G4 iMac by taking "last year's tech" (a CRT rather than LCD) and putting it in "last year's case" (more G3 iMac like) for the educational market.

That was what the "e" stood for, after all--they just turned out to be popular among budget-minded consumers, so Apple started offering them to other users as well.

Well, if you go to the Apple Store for Education right now (institution version, not student one), click on iMac, you'll see a little tiny link at the bottom of the list going to the base old-style 17" iMac model for $899. Which is, of course, last year's model at a budget price.

So while it doesn't say eMac, and it's not available to consumers, the slot the eMac was originally intended to fill still has a computer in it.

pseudonymph
Mar 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
I could see this selling as an eMac:

19 or 22" LCD with iSight
1.83/2.0 core 2 duo
1gb ram
120gb hard drive
intel gma x3100
no optical drive (!)
$999-1299

The slightly smaller footprint of a 19" and lower cost would be a hit in the education market where desk space and cash are limited.

It would also give the imac a chance to move up-market if apple wanted to (better graphics, quad core, etc.)