Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2007
So I finally received my Fabrix MacBook Air Fabrix Deluxe Case and I decided to review it.

I ordered the case on the 17th of February along with the iPhone case. I finally received it today. The Material on the case itself is in one word fabulous. It is of very good material and it has a nice feel to it. I ordered the "Black Suit" design for it, which is a simple but classy design. The Deluxe version differs from the basic version because it has a extra packet on the back and a flap. The case itself was much thinner than I expected, which isn't a pad thing because the thing is nicely padded. The flap in the front is a nice feature and the pocket is nice although you cant fit much. (See Pictures). Once inside my backpack the case added almost no weight nor did it take up a lot of space.

The inside of the case is made out of quilted padding which reminds me of the inside of a nice winter jacket. Nice stuff.

Pros:
-Good quality, sturdy cushioned case.
-Good deal on the iPhone case (12 more dollars)

Cons:
-Mildly expensive ~40 dollars
-Slow Shipping (mine took 3 weeks!)

In Case The Pics Don't Load Up. Web Gallery.

1.jpg

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I love my Fabrix Deluxe Case (even got the black suit too). It's a good snug fit for the MBA and the back pocket is nice for small accessories. My BlackBerry 8830 fits perfectly into one of the slots. The flap is nice for 100% protection when the MBA is inside and the velcro is strong enough to hold the flap shut even if you toss the thing around (tossed lightly onto a couch, that is....). I've been using mine for about a week now and don't know what I would do without it now.

idavidcrockett

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I ordered this same case 3 weeks ago. It finally arrived in the mail today, but Fabrix shipped the wrong case. It has a pink sticker on it that says "sized for 13.3" Macbook," instead of the orange sticker pictured above. I tried it out anyways and the case is way too bulky and not suitable for my Air.

After paying $50.00 and waiting three weeks for shipping, I expected better.

Should I give up on the company and go buy something else that fits? I do not want to wait 3 weeks for a case.

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
whats the inside of the sleeve like? is it soft suede microfiber or is it made of the same material as the outside. I'm afraid that the insides will scratch the macbook air.
Thanks

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2007
its a different material. i have no scratches from it at all. i dont know how to describe it but look at my gallery.

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
would you say the inside is soft?
cos i bought many cases for my old macbook pro and when dirt gets inside, it usually scratches up the notebook.

benny2k7

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
I just ordered mine! I ordered the black retro for the macbook...but they didnt offer that in the full flap, so I just have a velcro strap. Also, I had the choice of a pocket and handles, but I couldn't get only the pocket, it had to come with handles. I didn't want handles, so...nooo pocket. Kinda annoying, but whatev. It cost $44.50 or something. The cost isnt that bad considering it includes sales tax in Singapore (which is higher than US if I recall) and $9 for shipping.

It should come in.....4 weeks! I'll take pics and post when I get them.

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I have just got mine, took two weeks to ship to Japan. Singapore to Japan is not a long way, I guess they just simply sit on it for a while. But boy was it I surprised when I got it. Its made of great quality material and work, I am absolutely satisfied with it.

The case arrived a week ago to Japan, and my mother in law brought it yesterday to Hungary with the Air in it :), double happiness for me....

I love a weekend like this :)

Ben

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
I have just got mine, took two weeks to ship to Japan. Singapore to Japan is not a long way, I guess they just simply sit on it for a while. But boy was it I surprised when I got it. Its made of great quality material and work, I am absolutely satisfied with it.

The case arrived a week ago to Japan, and my mother in law brought it yesterday to Hungary with the Air in it :), double happiness for me....

I love a weekend like this :)

Ben

Bence8810, have you received your ManilaMac yet?

Do you still need a sleeve for your Air? I've got the Incipio Metal Grey Sleeve, and the In Case Neoprene Sleeve (still practically brand new) that I am looking to get rid of. Both are on the marketplace forum.

How do you like your Air?

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Bence8810, have you received your ManilaMac yet?

Do you still need a sleeve for your Air? I've got the Incipio Metal Grey Sleeve, and the In Case Neoprene Sleeve (still practically brand new) that I am looking to get rid of. Both are on the marketplace forum.

How do you like your Air?

Hi

I love the Air so far. I have waited 1 month for its arrival, therefore the excitement was built up.

As for sleeves I have the beautiful fabrix for now, and when I do get the Airmail, I will have that too. For now these two will suffice.

Which one of your sleeves/bags you like best?

Cheers

Ben

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
I've ordered 2 cases from Fabrix....in mid Mar

One for the MBA and one for my sis MB....

It's understandable if someone from US or UK even Japan receives it in 2 weeks cos of shipping etc...

But I'm from S'pore.... And i haven't received it yet. Emailed them a few times but so far, there isn't any reply....:mad:

Have been using my MBA for about a month plus everday, and my STM bag do not fit the MBA really well....

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I've ordered 2 cases from Fabrix....in mid Mar

One for the MBA and one for my sis MB....

It's understandable if someone from US or UK even Japan receives it in 2 weeks cos of shipping etc...

But I'm from S'pore.... And i haven't received it yet. Emailed them a few times but so far, there isn't any reply....:mad:

Have been using my MBA for about a month plus everday, and my STM bag do not fit the MBA really well....

Well, being locally there, I would try some other means of contact, like telephone, etc. Or go there and bang on their door :)

But to get back on track, I guess I have been rather lucky to receive it early, however, even my delivery time was double of what is advertised on the site. I wish you much luck and that you receive it soon, as its a true pleasure to have. The case is absolutely gorgeous.

Ben

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
Hi bence8810,

Thanks for your advice....

Went thru the paypal receipt and their webby but can't seem to find a number to contact them...

Cos I'm like pretty afraid I'll damage the MBA....:D

Read in your previous post the fabrix sleeve is pretty good, was wondering how does it compare to the airmail....was actually thinking to order it till i read about the delays and hence went for fabrix...Cos its local and should be faster.....

Should have ordered earlier along with the MBA instead...

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Hi bence8810,

Thanks for your advice....

Went thru the paypal receipt and their webby but can't seem to find a number to contact them...

Cos I'm like pretty afraid I'll damage the MBA....:D

Read in your previous post the fabrix sleeve is pretty good, was wondering how does it compare to the airmail....was actually thinking to order it till i read about the delays and hence went for fabrix...Cos its local and should be faster.....

Should have ordered earlier along with the MBA instead...

I would be so happy to give you an answer, but I am waiting for the AirMail, just like you do for the Fabrix case, so cannot do a real life comparison.

However, just by judging what others have said, the AirMail seems more like a case that looks extremely "cool" and gives you basic protection against slight scratches only. On the other hand the Fabrix case is actually pretty well padded, and seems to protect the MBA from more hazards :) than the AirMail.

I will lug the Fabrix case when I have other things in my bag, but if its only the MacBook Air inside, the AirMail should be good enough,

Cheers

Ben

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
I would be so happy to give you an answer, but I am waiting for the AirMail, just like you do for the Fabrix case, so cannot do a real life comparison.

However, just by judging what others have said, the AirMail seems more like a case that looks extremely "cool" and gives you basic protection against slight scratches only. On the other hand the Fabrix case is actually pretty well padded, and seems to protect the MBA from more hazards :) than the AirMail.

I will lug the Fabrix case when I have other things in my bag, but if its only the MacBook Air inside, the AirMail should be good enough,

Cheers

Ben

Just let me know when u receive your airmail, if its like really "cool". Don't mind getting another sleeve as I pretty much carry just the laptop and a few thin files around...

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Just let me know when u receive your airmail, if its like really "cool". Don't mind getting another sleeve as I pretty much carry just the laptop and a few thin files around...

Exactly my thoughts, I also think these two are a prefect duo for the MBA. Anyways, I will keep you posted. The problem is I am leaving for a business trip tomorrow morning, so if it doesnt come in today, which I doubt, we need to wait a good 10 days :(

I am extremely pissed at Manilla Mac for leaving the orders hanging in the air for so long, even after numerous emails, I saw no resolution.

Ben

idavidcrockett

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Fabrix customer support does not exist.

I have sent Fabrix 3 emails asking to exchange the case I received for the one I ordered, but they have not replied to any of them. At this point I give up. $50 and 1 month later I still have no case for my MBA.

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan

I have sent Fabrix 3 emails asking to exchange the case I received for the one I ordered, but they have not replied to any of them. At this point I give up. $50 and 1 month later I still have no case for my MBA.

At one point they did reply to me when I was still missing my case, so there is a support, just not very responsive.

If all else fails, I would cancel the CC payment, or have a Paypal dispute kicked off if that is what you used for payment, as it will surely trigger their attention.

Ben

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
I had mine shipped to NYC and it took exactly 2 weeks to arrive, so I guess that I was lucky.

From the pictures I've seen of the AirMail, I would say that the Fabrix case is much thicker and would provide better protection. The Fabrix case looks thin and sleek, yet the inside is like a winter coat and has very good padding.

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
I had mine shipped to NYC and it took exactly 2 weeks to arrive, so I guess that I was lucky.

From the pictures I've seen of the AirMail, I would say that the Fabrix case is much thicker and would provide better protection. The Fabrix case looks thin and sleek, yet the inside is like a winter coat and has very good padding.

Guess u're really lucky. Anyway, had did a search and found the number.

Made a call to Fabrix, they told me that my order has been mailed out. Should be receiving it today or tommorrow.

Anyway, just found out that they are a few blocks from my GF house.

BTW, which design did u order?

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore

They sent u the wrong item? Maybe like what Ben was saying, might have to do a Paypal dispute to settle it as this is the only way to get their attention...

I totally understand the fustration of not having a case when you're bringing out the MBA.

Felt really vulnerable....:(

macairlover

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
I ordered mine on the 22nd March, and they promise to deliver on 2 April and not later than 4 April. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will receive mine on time!!!

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Got my Fabrix black flora sleeve today, about 2 weeks after ordering. I live in Finland, Europe.

I ordered the "laptop sleeve" but received the "delux laptop case", with bigger flap and back pocket. That's not a problem for me, actually I like the delux version better (and apparently got it for cheaper, have to check out from paypal account).

The case is perfect for me, just the right amount of padding to make it feel somewhat protective but still slim and light. The quality is also good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.