Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
mackindergarten..

Thank you very much. I will try it out and see if it is what I am looking for...

Thanks again

Edit: This is a little over my head. You wouldn't happen to know of a product that is a little more user friendly?

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

unfortunately no. What is that you want to achieve? Copying folders? Synchronizing 2 computers? A bit more information might be helpful in finding a proper solution for you.

/Rupert

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Basically this...

I have four folders in three locations 1: is the main computer, 2: is the server, 3: is a back up:

Folder break down
Folders one, two and three are mp3's
Folder four is graphics/websites/documents for my business

If I put info into one folder (main computer) I used to have it set so that every friday it would back up the folder to the other locations.

The mp3's are just on the server and the back up hard drive. The documents are on all three.

With this setup I only wanted to move things that have changed. I don't want to have to move the whole folder. The mp3's alone are 160gigs and the documents are over 200 gigs. With sync toy I could set it up so that it would scan the main drive see if there are any changes and then replicate those changes to the other drives with the folders on them.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help by the way, mucho appreciated.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I would also like an equivelent of synctoy on a mac soon

Which one of the above programs was the best (If they are free)?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I picked up chronosync and love it. No complaints. It pretty much does what I want it to do and I can do it over the network.

Glad you found something useful :). I love chronosync too.

Chronosync is more powerful than the others imo. It is a great tool. For simple drive cloning / smart updating Superduper / CCC are very simple and do the job well.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. But Chronosync, superduper, ccc are all highly recommended. With CCC being freeware.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Glad you found something useful :). I love chronosync too.

Chronosync is more powerful than the others imo. It is a great tool. For simple drive cloning / smart updating Superduper / CCC are very simple and do the job well.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. But Chronosync, superduper, ccc are all highly recommended. With CCC being freeware.

Thanks for that, if you reccomend CCC (whatever it is), if its free i'll use that instead of paying out more when I get my mac.

Cheers

nativetongue03

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
I tried a few of those from Chronosync to File Synchronization and SyncFolders (all purchased from app store) and none of them seem to come close to matching SyncToy

I guess Microsoft wins this round.

They do the job just fine if you ask me. THe problem is HOW they do it which can be time consuming when compared to SyncToy

for example

If i have a file path like

• /user/testFolders/folder1
  • /user/testFolders/folder2
  • /user/testFolders/folder3

If I am syncing /user/testFolders with another machine and I were to move folder 3 inside folder 2 (/user/testFolders/folder2/folder3). Synctoy is intelligent enought to know that it does not need to delete folder 3 and recreate it inside folder 2. It simply does a rename which is much faster.

These apps listed cant do that so they delete and recreate every time which is resource and time consuming.

I'm still looking so if anyone has better suggestions I'm all ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.