Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsidian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey all.. I have heard a bunch of mentions of a computer called the "NeXT Cube". Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is somthing that will be made by Apple Computers?

Thanks...

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
NeXT Cube

The NeXT cube was a computer which was designed and built by NeXT Computer in the early 90s. It ran on an OS variant of UNIX and used NeXTSTEP. Steve Jobs founded NeXT after leaving Apple. In 1997 (I think), Apple aquired Next, and Steve, for $400 Million. Some of the NeXTSTEP technology is being used for application development in OS X.
Andrew

Obsidian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Thanks for the info..

Well, its good to know. For some reason I thought it was a new computer that was not released. I could not find any other info on it.

Oh, and by the way, I have been using Obsidian for about 5 years, and you must be as cool as I am, because nobody else have I encountered yet has had the same name! Good Job!

hehe.

itomato

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2001
The NeXT cube is what the G4 cube should have been...

http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/History/NeXTPub/N6030/page3.html

That's a NeXT brochure page.

The cube was cool. A real hardware marvel.
12" cube - black - magnesium

Optical drive that was supposed to be the next best thing in mass storage.. The idea was that you could have your whole life on a OD disk, and be mobile. <sarcasm>You can see where that went.. </sarcasm>

Some of the design philosphy from NeXT hardware made it into the newer Power Macs. (think ADC) On early NeXT machines (monochrome ones) the monitor was where you plugged in the keyboard and mouse. It was connected to the computer with a long cable. Even after the color machines came out, and the introduction of the Soundbox (keyboard, mouse, headphones connected to a little speaker, which was connected to the monitor and computer via a 'Y' cable), the idea of the computer as just another peripheral was there.

Very cool stuff. It's a shame OmniWeb 3 doesn't handle soo many things. I would love to have kept using my NeXT.. :(

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I am unique

Still haven't met anyone with my name. It's too bad NeXT didn't make it. If the developers and geeks had their way, we'd all be using them. Of course you realize that OS X is, for all intensive purposes, the next version of NeXTSTEP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.