PDA

View Full Version : Wacom tablet suggestions...

freeny
Mar 11, 2008, 08:36 AM
Looking to invest in a wacom tablet to sketch directly in PS or AI. Any suggestions and or testimonials?

Thanks in advance :)

LeviG
Mar 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
if you do a search of this section of the forums you will find many people (myself included) saying the same thing basically.

Intuos is best, size depends on the user - I personally like a5 wide.
However bamboo (and the older graphire) are fine if its just for playing around with stuff rather than doing things on a more regular/pro basis.

freeny
Mar 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
if you do a search of this section of the forums you will find many people (myself included) saying the same thing basically.

Well that would involve work:D

thanks Levi

chaosbunny
Mar 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have both an A5 Intuos and an A6 Bamboo. The Intuos is connected to my 24" iMac & 21" Eizo setup in my home office and the A6 I take with me to work on the go with my 15" powerbook.

The effective size of the tablet depends on the screen you are using imo. While the A6 size is perfect for a laptop or lets say 15-19" screens it becomes too small to work precisely when using a 20"+ screen.

The sweet spot in terms of price/performance is A5 size. Big enough (and not too big, which depends on personal preference) to do serious work and cheap enough to not stress the budget.

freeny
Mar 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have both an A5 Intuos and an A6 Bamboo.

What is the size of the A5? on the Wacom site they only give sizes in inches...

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/index.cfm?CMP=KNC-google&HBX_PK=intuos&HBX_OU=50&gclid=CNz-oODBhZICFQP4lgodZRNL9g

ChrisA
Mar 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
Intuos is best, size depends on the user - I personally like a5 wide.
However bamboo (and the older graphire) are fine if its just for playing around with stuff rather than doing things on a more regular/pro basis.

I kind of disagree a little. I'd say that the Bamboo is OK if you are using Photoshop to correct and retouch photographs. None of the tools you use for that are sensitive to pen angle and rotation and pressure is not even all that importance if you are a photographer. But photographers do need the precision and speed of a pen. The bamboo can do all of that. But if you want to create images and simulate natural media like air brush and flat brushes then you will want the pen angle and rotation ability of the more expensive tablet It's not a pro vs. hobby thing. I depends on the tools you pick and if they can make use of rotation and angle.

You could buy the $60 Bamboo and try it. Then you will know if you need a bigger tablet or not. If you like it you are lucky can saved yourself maaybe $200 and if you don't like it it would be easy to sell for $40 and you could right off the $20 loss to "education" If takes time to learn to use a pen for the first coule weeks you will not be able to control it and you will want to go back to using the mouse. At first you will not even be able to draw a circle where the ends meet. A bamboo is good enough for learning these new motor skillls

freeny
Mar 11, 2008, 12:01 PM
I kind of disagree. I'd say that the Bamboo is OK if you are usig Photoshop to correct and retouch photographs. None of the tools you use for that are sensitive to pen angle and rotation and pressure is not even all that importance if you are a photographer. But you do need the preccision and speed of a pen. Tha bamboo can do all of that. But you you want to create images and simulate natural media like air brush and flat brushes then you will want the pen angle and rotation ability of the more expensive tablet It's not a pro vs. hobbest thing it depends on the tools you pick and if they can make use of potation and angle.

I plan on drawing and airbrushing, no retouching. Im looking for a digital version of a sketchbook...

jerryrock
Mar 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
I plan on drawing and airbrushing, no retouching. Im looking for a digital version of a sketchbook...

Then the Intuos3 tablet or Cintiq monitor would be the better tool. They both support the airbrush pen (optional) and have twice the resolution of the Bamboo models.

I started out with the Intuos3 and moved to the Cintiq 20WSX in January.

jnc
Mar 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
I use the Intuos 3 A5, but you can easily get away with a Graphire A5 for sketches and AI use, it just has less levels of pressure sensitivity but at a lower price.

Then honestly, this is exactly what you are looking for: http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/12WX.cfm Man I got to get me one of those :D

What is the size of the A5? on the Wacom site they only give sizes in inches...

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/index.cfm?CMP=KNC-google&HBX_PK=intuos&HBX_OU=50&gclid=CNz-oODBhZICFQP4lgodZRNL9g

A5 is 6x8 inches

freeny
Mar 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
Then honestly, this is exactly what you are looking for: http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/12WX.cfm Man I got to get me one of those :D

NICE :)
but pricey :(

chaosbunny
Mar 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
Intuos A5 is about 25x34 cm.

Artful Dodger
Mar 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have and use the Intuos 3 tablet @ 9x12 and it works great with my 20" iMac at this time. I plan on buying the Cintiq 12" Pen Display very soon and the airbrush as well. One thing I really like is the feel of the pens for the Intuos as they are very nice if you are using it for some time.
Whatever you buy just take the time to set the area up to match your screen size and it will work just right :)

bntz313
Mar 11, 2008, 08:29 PM
I would try ebay. I got mine for 150 it's an intuos2. I'm on the tightest budget ever. so if your like me than I would try for an used, one seeing that you can find one cheap if you HUNT!

Apemanblues
Mar 12, 2008, 03:01 AM
I have a A4 sized Intuous 3 Wacom tablet and I cannot rate it highly enough. I use it for 3D work, painting in PS and even surfing the web. It's a really well made product and for drawing/painting a tablet is an invaluable investment.

If price is an issue then you can sometimes get really good price reductions on Ebay for brand new Wacom tablets (I did).

irishgrizzly
Mar 12, 2008, 06:20 AM
Do people find that with a tablet they don't find the need to sketch with paper and pencil as much/at all?

Apemanblues
Mar 12, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sketching on the Wacom is cool, but I still like to use pencil and paper. A sketchbook you can take with you anywhere so you can practice anywhere. Plus, it just feels nice to sketch in a sketchbook.

I have heard of some people sketching exclusively digitally, but I imagine they are the exception rather than the rule.

bntz313
Mar 12, 2008, 10:12 AM
I still sketch all the time with pencil/pen and paper. I find that most of my good sketches are done one the back of homework or when I'm watching TV or something like that. I also like to paint!

Lone Deranger
Mar 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
A word of caution for those considering a Cintiq.
There have been reports from some users about mouse pointer jitter. Particularly in the lower areas of the screen. Some find it acceptable, others less so.
There's an interesting thread over on CGTalk with a lot of users posting in their findings. Read about it here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=574302).

Over the years I've bought many a regular Wacom tablet without trying them out first, but for a Cintiq...?? It would require a thorough testdrive to see if I can be convinced to hand over the money.
As much as I'd love to have one, there are just too many potential problems and niggles I've heard about.

Artful Dodger
Mar 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
Do people find that with a tablet they don't find the need to sketch with paper and pencil as much/at all?

I still sketch, scan my stuff in to my folder/workflow and then import to stage. I don't always stick to my sketch but 99% of the time I have a sketch scanned that I go off of. I think on my site there are only two items that aren't from sketches and they turned/worked out well. Also I'm not always in front of my iMac/tablet so pencil/ink and paper are a must for me :D

jerryrock
Mar 12, 2008, 12:29 PM
The report of cursor jitters is extremely exaggerated and seems to be limited to the 12WX model. Wacom states that this behavior is "normal" and is limited to the peripheral edges of the Cintiq 12WX display.

I have not experienced this behavior with my 20WSX Cintiq connected (DVI-D)to the MacPro (ATI X1900XT video card).

The Wacom Cintiq is an expensive investment but for Graphic Design, Photography or drawing it is the ultimate tool. It increases workflow, stimulates creativity and is the most accurate way of editing or creating design on a computer.

Jerry

Hecklerdanny
Mar 26, 2008, 07:40 AM
The report of cursor jitters is extremely exaggerated and seems to be limited to the 12WX model. Wacom states that this behavior is "normal" and is limited to the peripheral edges of the Cintiq 12WX display.

I have not experienced this behavior with my 20WSX Cintiq connected (DVI-D)to the MacPro (ATI X1900XT video card).

The Wacom Cintiq is an expensive investment but for Graphic Design, Photography or drawing it is the ultimate tool. It increases workflow, stimulates creativity and is the most accurate way of editing or creating design on a computer.

Jerry

I also have a Cintiq 21UX and have not experience this either. I started with a Wacom Graphire, then I used an Intuos2 for YEARS, and have recently upgraded to the Cintiq. I love the Cintiq but I used the Intuos2 for so long that I think I got "too" good on it, and I don't find my productivity or quality of work improved much on the Cintiq. Basically I mean that I don't find much that I can do on the Cintiq that I COULDN'T do on the Intuos2. One thing I have noticed is how much more fun the Cintiq is to use. I love it.

EDIT: I added this image of my setup. I couldn't believe how huge the thing was when I first set it up. That's a Apple 23" Cinema Display that it's next to.

jnc
Mar 26, 2008, 12:06 PM

Yes, it's great to be able to just draw directly onto the computer. Means you don't have to redraw pencils digitally or scan them in.

stainlessliquid
Mar 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
Ive been a digital painter for around 8 years and love the size of the 6x8. Im still using an intuos 1 6x8, before that I had a 4x5 graphire and that was too small to draw but still totally useable for painting.

I wouldnt want to go larger, larger=more arm work, and the 9x12 is freaking huge. I dont really have the desktop space for that monster anyways (9x12=active area, theres still several inches of extra space on the edges making it very very large). I havent used the 6x11 but I imagine those are a good size too, Im happy enough with just using widescreen proportions on the 6x8 though.

If you want to save money then you can get a used intuos, like an intuos 1 or 2. These things last forever, my intuos still looks new and works like it did when I got it several years ago. The only things that need replacing are the nibs on the pen and the plastic overlay sheet since it might get scratched up, but both of those are cheap and you get a load of extra nibs with the intuos to last you forever (my intuos overlay is still fine, my graphire overlay was kind of scratched though).

jnc
Mar 26, 2008, 08:21 PM
(my intuos overlay is still fine, my graphire overlay was kind of scratched though).

They dropped the overlay altogether with the intuos 3. :(

LeviG
Mar 27, 2008, 04:49 AM
They dropped the overlay altogether with the intuos 3. :(

what, theres still an overlay (I assume you mean the bit of plastic over the 'tablet' area) on the intuos 3, its grey and you can buy a clear version if you wanted. It just peels up from the bottom and is stuck on at the top.

Artful Dodger
Mar 27, 2008, 10:57 AM
Ive been a digital painter for around 8 years and love the size of the 6x8. Im still using an intuos 1 6x8, before that I had a 4x5 graphire and that was too small to draw but still totally useable for painting.

I wouldnt want to go larger, larger=more arm work, and the 9x12 is freaking huge. I dont really have the desktop space for that monster anyways (9x12=active area, theres still several inches of extra space on the edges making it very very large). I havent used the 6x11 but I imagine those are a good size too, Im happy enough with just using widescreen proportions on the 6x8 though.

I have the 9x12 and it's just a matter of adjusting the area on the tablet to match your screen or even better you "can" adjust the area on the tablet to be smaller as that will match your screen corners as well thus less arm movement. I do find the 9x12 much nicer than the 16x24 sketch pads required in figure drawing at art school, now that was arm movement ;)

jnc
Mar 27, 2008, 11:16 AM
what, theres still an overlay (I assume you mean the bit of plastic over the 'tablet' area) on the intuos 3, its grey and you can buy a clear version if you wanted. It just peels up from the bottom and is stuck on at the top.

o_O....

what....

I have owned an Intuos 3 for the last year!! Shouldn't I have noticed?? :confused: I just sold it last week

Soma 115
Apr 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
Allright, i've read through this thread atleast 3 times over....and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between a Wacom Bamboo tablet VS. a Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet(small). Is it just the included mouse?? or are there other usefull features added???

Thanks in Advance

-Dillon

MmSuperMario
Apr 21, 2008, 12:24 AM
Allright, i've read through this thread atleast 3 times over....and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between a Wacom Bamboo tablet VS. a Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet(small). Is it just the included mouse?? or are there other usefull features added???

Thanks in Advance

-Dillon
I have a regular Bamboo and the only difference I could find between the two was the mouse and included software. I also think there were 3 extra buttons on the Fun one.

The Bamboo is good enough for me once I started to mess around with the brush settings in PS. I've been able to make a few nice things with it.

LeviG
Apr 21, 2008, 03:33 AM
o_O....

what....

I have owned an Intuos 3 for the last year!! Shouldn't I have noticed?? :confused: I just sold it last week

Yep you should have noticed :rolleyes:

It does appear stuck down at times though, but its definitely there, I bought a clear one to replace it and it lifts quite happily once I get a fingernail under it. :)

jerryrock
Apr 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
The Intuo3 line does not have a clear plastic tracing cover. The Graphire tablet does. The Intuos3 cover is not meant to be lifted.

LeviG
Apr 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
The Intuo3 line does not have a clear plastic tracing cover. The Graphire tablet does. The Intuos3 cover is not meant to be lifted.

what?, the whole point of the cover (yes the original is grey, hence me saying a clear replacement) is to protect the tablet sensor area and then be replaced if the cover gets scratched. There is a clear option (buy one) for replacement for those who prefer to stick things under and trace, the only thing holding it on is a bit of double sided sticky tape - trust me I have one and also bought the clear cover, I've also had a graphire in the past which is fixed :rolleyes:

edit: linky (http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/products/en/parts-for-intuos3-ptz-tablets.html) - scroll down a bit and you will see the option for transparent (clear), friction (rough and grey) and standard (grey) overlays, note the little brown tab where the sticky tape is.

jerryrock
Apr 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
what?, the whole point of the cover (yes the original is grey, hence me saying a clear replacement) is to protect the tablet sensor area and then be replaced if the cover gets scratched. There is a clear option (buy one) for replacement for those who prefer to stick things under and trace, the only thing holding it on is a bit of double sided sticky tape - trust me I have one and also bought the clear cover, I've also had a graphire in the past which is fixed :rolleyes:
edit: linky (http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/products/en/parts-for-intuos3-ptz-tablets.html) - scroll down a bit and you will see the option for transparent (clear), friction (rough and grey) and standard (grey) overlays, note the little brown tab where the sticky tape is.

I think you are a little mixed up. The link you provided is for some stick on aftermarket product.

Graphire tablet. The ergonomic design of the Graphire tablet lets you work comfortably. The transparent frame allows you to customize your Graphire by inserting family photos, artwork, designs, or textures below the tablet cover.

LeviG
Apr 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
no I'm not, for one they're wacom parts so I doubt they're aftermarket :rolleyes:

Second you'll see that the initial posts where regarding an intous2 (http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/products/intuos2/index.asp) which uses a similar plastic overlay to the intuos3. I think the fact wacom call those 'aftermarket' parts an overlay says it all :cool:

Soma 115
Apr 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have a regular Bamboo and the only difference I could find between the two was the mouse and included software. I also think there were 3 extra buttons on the Fun one.

The Bamboo is good enough for me once I started to mess around with the brush settings in PS. I've been able to make a few nice things with it.

Awesome! i already have PS so no need for the software...I can't wait to pick mine up after work! Thanks alot man!