Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I was wondering how everyone manages their pictures? Right now i use both aperture and iphoto, but I'm pretty sure i store the files themselves in the picture folder, not in either program's library (if that makes sense). Is it easier to have iphoto manage all of them in it's folder, or aperture? and how would i go about switching now? i have several hundred pics right now. Thanks

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i manage mine within iPhoto with "copy to library" enabled and just place my temporary photos which i dont want to add to iPhoto in the pictures folder. dont know much about Aperture sorry.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I manage my photo library entirely through iPhoto. All imported pictures go straight into the iPhoto library located in the pictures folder. While it appears as though the iPhoto library is just an icon with the photos inaccessible, if you right click on it, you can display the package contents and see your photos broken down into folders. That said, I wouldn't move anything or delete anything from there as that can seriously mess up your library. But it's still handy.

If you're considering switching from iPhoto to Aperture permanently, I believe Aperture lets you import your iPhoto library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.