Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
Hi folks,

I have an XServe that I have up to this point used only as a font and FTP server for the Macs only in my company. I'd like to include my Windows friends in happy funtime XServe land but, other than through FTP, none of them can see the XServe. We are on an Open Directory domain and I'd really like to authenticate the XServe as we do our Windows Servers but am having no luck. Any thoughts, ideas, solutions etc...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pezza

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
You need to bind the xserve to the active directory domain, then switch on the smb services for windows file sharing, that will get you started.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks for your reply. Unless I screwed it up somehow, I have done both of those already. In Open Directory it says it's bound to the domain and SMB services are on yet I still cannot see it from a Windows box.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
backup

Hi,

Just a thought. Depending on the environment you may have filename issues.

I did admin work for a graphic design firm for a time, and of course the users never stuck to a proper naming convention. When the backups would occur, I would see very odd entries on the Windows machine in the file name. specifically dots next to certain charactors. Be wary if there are any odd ball names that Windows doesn't know how to accomidate.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks for your help guys. I have gotten the issue resolved. The problem lay in DNS. The CNAME wasn't pointing correctly. I changed it and voila! it magically appeared.

I also realized my terminology was wrong. We have an ACTIVE directory domain, not an Open Directory. I switched the two around.

One weird thing that did happen, and I believe I know why (another stupid move on my part) is when I initially created the local admin account I named it "Administrator" and gave it the same password as our Domain Admin account. When I bound the server, logged off and then logged back on, the local admin account disappeared and now I have the network one only. It was like a brand new account. All the services and login items are running (FTP is active, font server is running) but they are not launched etc...I know this is probably a major rookie error here but I don't know how to get the local one back.

Thanks again for all help. And I know ALL about users naming issues. The one I like the best is putting a space at the beginning of a filename to make it be at the top of the list. But then the next user wants THEIRS to be on top so they put a period before that space, or two spaces...! Gotta love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.