Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcandrada

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Paraguay
Ok, I'm going to grad school in August, and I'm planning to buy a new laptop. The new MacBooks are really appealing, I own a July 2006 white MacBook, and I love those computers. Since I'm planning on buying it before schools starts (August), do you think new Macbooks are coming from here to August? just better specs or maybe a redesign?

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
i'm doubting either will happen before August considering they were just update two weeks ago and the average number of days between updates is around 192 according to the Buyers guide

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Ok, I'm going to grad school in August, and I'm planning to buy a new laptop. The new MacBooks are really appealing, I own a July 2006 white MacBook, and I love those computers. Since I'm planning on buying it before schools starts (August), do you think new Macbooks are coming from here to August? just better specs or maybe a redesign?

sorry, but if you dont mind me asking:

you already own a Macbook. Why buy another Macbook? your Core Duo may be quite dated compared to the Core 2 Duos but its still capable of performing decently.

jcandrada

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Paraguay
sorry, but if you dont mind me asking:

you already own a Macbook. Why buy another Macbook? your Core Duo may be quite dated compared to the Core 2 Duos but its still capable of performing decently.

Ok, the thing is I live in Paraguay, and everybody uses this MacBook here at home... and I'm going to Berkeley, far away from home and that's the reason I'm buying a new computer...

jcandrada

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Paraguay
i'm doubting either will happen before August considering they were just update two weeks ago and the average number of days between updates is around 192 according to the Buyers guide

that's true according to the buyers guide, but it seems that apple is updating their line faster by the day... before the february update, the last one was in november, less than the average number of days between updates... and I think apple is refreshing the design of their computers, the iMac went aluminium, and now maybe is time for the MacBook?

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Ok, the thing is I live in Paraguay, and everybody uses this MacBook here at home... and I'm going to Berkeley, far away from home and that's the reason I'm buying a new computer...

ahh i see.

Considering that Apple just refreshed the Macbooks with Penryn (apparently i heard that Intel pressured them to do so because they were stubbornly holding onto the Meroms for 'too long'), it will take some time before they make the jump to Montevina.

If Apple jumps to Montevina by August, it will most likely be for the Macbook Pros first, so in that aspect, i think the Macbooks will be left to their own for now.

skins0304

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Why don't you just wait until august and see? It won't hurt anything to wait and it may end up paying off for you.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
The Macbook is a great computer I love mine but here's the problem it's all speculation and rumors so you should just wait and see. Even if it doesn't get updated it's still wonderful now and should most certainly satisfy your needs.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
I just purchased a 2.4 MB knowing there could be an update as early as June, and as late as October or November. Updates happen. The question is will the NEXT updated model really outrun the current model by that much. Eh, maybe by 10% or so, same as relation b/w the 2.2 and 2.4. Just wait 'til August if you're that concerned...OTOH, it sounds like everyone else is getting a lot of use from your MB and maybe having two right now would be beneficial to you.

jcandrada

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Paraguay
I just purchased a 2.4 MB knowing there could be an update as early as June, and as late as October or November. Updates happen. The question is will the NEXT updated model really outrun the current model by that much. Eh, maybe by 10% or so, same as relation b/w the 2.2 and 2.4. Just wait 'til August if you're that concerned...OTOH, it sounds like everyone else is getting a lot of use from your MB and maybe having two right now would be beneficial to you.

I think I'll wait until august and see, and in case there is no update, the new blackbook looks really appealing!... anyway there are two iMacs here at home [one of them is the worse Mac I've ever had (20" intel core duo imac), I'll open a new topic explaining all the issues I'm having with that iMac and see if somebody can figure out how to solve those issues] that we can still use...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.