Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Wired covers comments from Tim O'Reilly at the recent Mac OS X Conference in Santa Clara, CA.

O'Reilly believes that Apple "is leading the charge in a software revolution that soon will see most applications reaching beyond the box they are running on and connecting to other computers or devices."

The iTunes Music Store is the prime example of this initiative, while "unconnected" applications such as the word processor or spreadsheet are becoming dated.

O'Reilly was critical that the implementation of this concept is currently incomplete -- with users being unable (yet) to share Photos or purchase Stock photos via the iPhoto application.

wendel

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2002
prediction. In a few days MOSR will claim that they have seen beta versions of iPhoto 3 allowing rendezvous sharing of photo collections, and even early betas of purchasing photos online.

you heard it here first.

nycmacartist

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by wendel
prediction. In a few days MOSR will claim that they have seen beta versions of iPhoto 3 allowing rendezvous sharing of photo collections, and even early betas of purchasing photos online.

you heard it hear first.

Or they'll update next week, with what's being discussed this week, reworded of course. Then ask for donations.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Various developers/publishers have been predicting this for years, at least since 1996 - notably Microsoft. I remember that all this was supposed to be a major part of (what eventually became) Windows 98.

It may happen, but it is hardly revolutionary.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
Sadly microsoft swallowed up getty images one of the biggest stock photo sources around so apple would have some stiff competition. Everyday people have no use for stock photos unless they are 1024x768 and "purty". What this person seems to be asking for in their editorial is that there be an application for every possible thing you could want to purchase. Pretty soon Pizza Hut will have the iPizza win & mac app where you visually build a pizza and then order it online. Just kidding. I think the best example of this remote application would be desktop cray, man did that make my computer scorch! ^_^

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Liquidity X
I wanna see a imovie movie store, we got piexlet, lets get downloadable movies thar re in dvd-r formate, or pixelet movie.

QuickTime's "what's on" is sort of doing that.
I expect more "media" live/streaming apps, or games. Fun online stuff!
Not the office applications. Think of security reasons.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Re: Networked Apps - The Future of Software?

Originally posted by Macrumors

The iTunes Music Store is the prime example of this initiative, leaving "unconnected" applications such as the word processor or spreadsheet becoming dated.

Can I ask why the hell I'd want a "connected" word processor or spreadsheet? What fool wrote this?

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Re: Re: Networked Apps - The Future of Software?

Originally posted by johnnowak
Can I ask why the hell I'd want a "connected" word processor or spreadsheet? What fool wrote this?

the 'fool' that wrote that is Tim O'Reilly, the guy the founed and owns the most respected publishers of programming and computer technology books I can think of, and predicter of many future technologies through working at grass roots (alpha geek) level...

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002

Probably the same fool(s) that wrote it 5 years ago.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Company work...

You are preparing the monthly report for the company on the 23th to be presented on the 31st, but you have vacations from the 25th and want some help from your friends at work and everyone will do a single task in different places or even cities... connected apps will work fine... big companies need real rendevouz (whatever) working there. they wnat to go now for the companies as they did for education...

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA

I could definitely use this. That way I would not have to use Microsoft's Sharepoint portal.

I often collaborate on documents with people in my group at work. We will either work on different sections of the same document, or more often, we review, make suggestions, proofread, each others work. Now we usually mail a document around. Then you need to worry about versioning. What we really need to be able to do is work on the same document with some kind of versioning, change tracking. Most of this is available in Word now, but it does not allow simultaneous editing by multiple users of the same file.

Spreadsheets are the same. We work up cost models of projects and need to share the data/update/make changes.

nycmacartist

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
MS would love this. Instead of owning office, you subscribe to the iOffice website for $10 a month. Can you imagine working on a document with advertisements springing up all the time?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by balconycollapse
Pretty soon Pizza Hut will have the iPizza win & mac app where you visually build a pizza and then order it online. Just kidding.

You might just be kidding, but they're actually doing this. Their current online ordering system says that they currently won't allow you to build your own pizza, but it looks like this option will be coming soon.

Of course, it's a web page, rather than a true app.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Nermal
Their current online ordering system says that they currently won't allow you to build your own pizza, but it looks like this option will be coming soon.

EXciting. I can choose the ingredients and get a preview of what it looks like, click submit, and then a sheet pops out at the Hut, that says, in print: Lg, pep, saus, onion, anch. THat's technology. the phone is just so passe.

As for collaborating on documents/spreadsheets, isn't that already done? I have a shared drive at work and anyone can pick up the doc. Two folks can't work on it at a time, but that's obvious.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Some interesting thoughts... as people said, this has been something that people have been saying for years - every since the Internet really took off... but I think it was kinda under the radar that iTunes represents this concept.

In reality... the web browser is the concept... connected to a network of sites.

For while there was a move away from proprietary clients... and standardization -- such as Java.

And yes, the iTunes store could have been done entirely in a browser interface -- like BuyMusic. But I think Apple brings some key advantages in creating an client-native actual application for it. And this advantage could be maximized in other applications too.

arn

Iconocat

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Fairfax, VA
Pizza Online Rules!

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
EXciting. I can choose the ingredients and get a preview of what it looks like, click submit, and then a sheet pops out at the Hut, that says, in print: Lg, pep, saus, onion, anch. THat's technology. the phone is just so passe.

As for collaborating on documents/spreadsheets, isn't that already done? I have a shared drive at work and anyone can pick up the doc. Two folks can't work on it at a time, but that's obvious.

I know it's not a seperate app or as "visual" as what you are thinking of, but I live in the DC area too and I order Pizza Hut online ALL the time! I'm pretty familiar to what the pizzas I get look like, so I don't really need the visual. It's really cool "building" your pizza though and they often have all sorts of specials. I never have to deal w/ them via phone unless there is a problem, which I don't think there ever has been.

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by wendel

you heard it here first.

they'd be on to something...

;-)

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002

How about, you're working on a screenplay with a friend; both of you want to be able to revise it individually but be aware of each others' changes.

Check out Hydra. Or whatever it's called now... this kind of software is actually very useful in many contexts.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Back to the 60s

Originally posted by Janger
Apps that reach beyond your own machine. Sounds like "back to the mainframe" to me.

This actually IS the point. Have centralized resources from apps to data to surge compute resources and every"node"or"user"whether on a dual 2 ghz desktop or a cell phone would have platform specifica nd user specific access methods.

As the internet becomes morewireless, higher bandwidth amd more everywhere accessable, this will be increasingly significant.

I feel what we will see is critical "local kernals" downloaded or saved for some local processing aswell.

Rocketman

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I just wonder when someone is going to finally develop a virus for Mac OS X. All this networking stuff could, possibly, result in a lot of headaches for a lot of Mac users.

Just a thought.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.