PDA

View Full Version : transfering email from godaddy to google apps?

sir42
Mar 11, 2008, 04:42 PM
How easy (or hard) is it to transfer an email account from godaddy to google apps?

Our small business currently has a domain registered through godaddy which we're also using for their email service. However, we're now interested in using IMAP, which godaddy doesn't offer.

Is it a fairly straightforward process if we wanted to switch to google apps for email?

Also, once we make the switch I think we would each like to move our Inbox and Sent folders over to the google apps mailboxes.

thanks!

HaGG
Mar 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
You sign up to google aps with the domain, create the email accounts then point just the email mx records to google's email servers, it's pretty painless.

Google have instructions on the apps page on what to put for the mx records.

As for transferring emails over, it depends, are you using a web-based email now with godaddy?

sir42
Mar 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
That sounds fairly painless. We actually access our godaddy accounts through Apple Mail, so I'm thinking we can just drag and drop the godaddy mailboxes into the new google apps mailboxes within Mail

tobefirst
Mar 12, 2008, 07:54 AM
I did this a couple of months ago, and am very happy I did. The process was pretty much painless. In mail, I just kept a folder that holds all the old GoDaddy emails. Works great.