Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which DID you like more? (only people who owned both vote!!!!!)

• Black

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • White

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I have a quick question, for those of you macbook users who owned both white AND black, which do you like more?? And if you used to own white, and got black, tell me that two, and tell me if the black was penryn. thanks a lot. I'm in the process of saving up for a new 2.4 macbook, and both colors are gorgeous, thank u SO MUCH!!!

also, and tell me if you like black more, what bad the white had, and if you liked white more, what was the con of the black.

and if you like white more, dont say cuz its apple-esque, im looking for more serious answers like pros and cons, better material, feeling & durability

as well as don't say that the con of the blackbook is its more $$$, forget money here, and the reason i ask to say if the macbook is penryn is because the penryn casing on the blackbook IS black, not painted black, making it less of a fingerprint maget.

JUST A REMINDER, ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE OWNED BOTH MAY VOTE.

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
i have a both macbooks and i would have to say that personally i like the white better because of tradition...it looks apple to me

my friend however has the white and is completely jealous of my black. i think it is because black is a better color for a guy, or so he says.

i know that didn't help much, but both work the same for me, and the only difference between my two macbooks are the color.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
i have a both macbooks and i would have to say that personally i like the white better because of tradition...it looks apple to me

my friend however has the white and is completely jealous of my black. i think it is because black is a better color for a guy, or so he says.

i know that didn't help much, but both work the same for me, and the only difference between my two macbooks are the color.

How about like pros and cons??

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i first owned a white, moving onto a macbook pro and then to my recent blackbook purchase (non-penryn). i like the color of the white, but after having owned a g3 snow ibook, an ibook g4 and a white macbook, i kind of wanted a change. i love the black macbook, but i wouldn't necessarily say it's better. one thing i appreciate is the matte finish of the case. the white's glossy finish is so prone to scratching, all one has to do is breathe on it to get scratched.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have a black one and my wife has a white one. I think hers looks brighter than mine, but then again I also keep my brightness down. Um, hers looks dirtier? But then again that is cause she uses hers while I am constantly cleaning mine. It really is just a personal preference. I would just recommend whichever suits your fancy.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I personally perfer the white. I bought the black one at first, and figured that it wasn't worth the $160 premium, so I exchanged it for a white one with the same specs.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I added a poll to make things easier, please vote, and for those ho said choose was suits my fancy, and my preference, as ive said, both are beautiful colors.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I have both the white and black macbooks and I like the white macbook better. The downside to the white macbook is:
A. The white case scratches easier.
B. The white case gets dirty easier.

The downside to the black macbook:
A. They're more expensive.
B. The black shows all the fingerprints.

Just me 2 cent.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I have both the white and black macbooks and I like the white macbook better. The downside to the white macbook is:
A. The white case scratches easier.
B. The white case gets dirty easier.

The downside to the black macbook:
A. They're more expensive.
B. The black shows all the fingerprints.

Just me 2 cent.

exclude that

anyone else?

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
ok...IMHO I like the look of the white, but would have to say that Black would be the way to go for me. Granted, you see fingerprints more so on the black, but there are options to fix that. The black macbook of mine has proven to be faster when converting movies and files more so than my white macbook. Also, the finishing is better than the white.

but i still like the look of the original white darnit!

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
You can always get White and get inCase cases and vary the color. If you have black, a white case would be silly...

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I like black for this reason:

It looks more professional.

I suppose the WhiteBook is nice, yes, but going with one solid color just does not work with glossy white plastic. At least the blackBook is matte, at least with the SR models. The white one looks outdated and juvenile, IMHO. They've had that finish since, what, seven years ago?? Yes, with the white you can instantly tell it's a Mac, but it's nice to be in a coffee shop and for someone to come up and say, "Who makes that? I like the design- Oh. It's a Mac! Cool! So they come in black now?"

Just my $0.02.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
i had a 1.83 white, and how i have a 2.2 black.

the black is the clear winner in my eyes, no dirt, hair, grime, oil that you cant get up, and with a BSE applied it doesnt loose its glossy appearance.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I've always been a fan of the shiny white appeal that Apple basically created *and marketed to success.*

That also applies to the White Macbook.

Although the Black Macbook hides scratches easier, I'm just the sort of person who prefers the shiny white finish rather than the finger print absorber from the matte black casing.

I get a sort of sick pleasure when people ask me about my Macbook lol...
It's wrong I know.

But really, I think the black casing is out of place in the lineup.
I blame it on the U2 iPod.
*EDIT*
but god I do love the black iPods lol.
^iHypocrite

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
I find that the white one gets a bit grubby on the palm rests, but the black one shows grease i guess on the outside which sucks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Had white and gave it to my daughter to buy a black one (well, there was a nearly 2 year interval).

The black one does require more cleaning, but none the less I like the black one better. I know I'll get flamed, but I think it looks more professional, less consumer-Mac-esque.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Have a had a White Macbook for nearly two years and just recently purchase a Penryn Black Book.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I had the blackbook before and never regretted having one. Most people in campus have the white one and the black one stands out more. It is also less prone to getting stain marks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.