PDA

View Full Version : WTB-G4 Laptop

FF_productions
Mar 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hey guys I got a trip coming up and I need to get Portable.

Price range is below $400...

iMpathetic
Mar 11, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hey guys I got a trip coming up and I need to get Portable.

Don't have anything for you, but I reccommend a nice Pismo. They can be heavily upgraded and are incredibly cool looking. They sometimes dip below $200 with AP cards.

FF_productions
Mar 11, 2008, 07:18 PM
Can Pismo play DVD's?

iMpathetic
Mar 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
Can Pismo play DVD's?

Came stock with DVD-ROM and can be upgraded to 8x Superdrive. :)

TEG
Mar 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, the Pismo, and the entire PBG3 series can play DVDs. Also, if you look on eBay you may be able to find a nice iBook or PBG4 for that price, although with the PBG4, paint peeling may be a problem.

TEG

iMpathetic
Mar 11, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, the Pismo, and the entire PBG3 series can play DVDs. Also, if you look on eBay you may be able to find a nice iBook or PBG4 for that price, although with the PBG4, paint peeling may be a problem.

TEG

If you're willing to talk to him (he's a bit grumpy but don't tell him I told you that), a person I know has a CL posting for a Pismo here:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/601993245.html

400MHz, 576MB RAM, 40GB HD, 1hr battery, and AP.

I'm mad cause he won't let me trade him **** for it. :(

FF_productions
Mar 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
I need a portable that can surf the net wirelessly, watch youtube, and watch DVD's. That's it.

iMpathetic
Mar 11, 2008, 08:22 PM
I need a portable that can surf the net wirelessly, watch youtube, and watch DVD's. That's it.

All right then, Pismo it is? :)

FF_productions
Mar 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
All right then, Pismo it is? :)

Yeah but I'm worried about the speed..I'm hesitant until I get a Pismo users opinion on this.

docprego
Mar 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah but I'm worried about the speed..I'm hesitant until I get a Pismo users opinion on this.

I surf everyday on a 500MHz Pismo with 384MB Ram running Tiger. I find it to be very adequate for this purpose. I also think the screen is very nice. So given its age the Pismo performs (certain tasks) surprisingly well.

In comparison I have a Windows laptop of a similar age running Windows ME and that one is excruciating to use.

One more thing, the Pismo does not havebuilt in WiFi, I added a PCMCIA wireless card it is works flawlessly. The only issue is it sticks out of the Pismo 3-4 inches.

shu82
Mar 11, 2008, 09:38 PM
Youtube is a little iffy on a Pismo. Personally, I would go with a 900mhz g3, at your upper price limit.

hockeysc23
Mar 11, 2008, 09:51 PM
I have a Powerbook G4 400 mhz, 1 gig ram, and 70 gig hd. Has an airport card, currently running leopard, I have 3 batteries, but the DVD drive sometimes decides to work and sometimes doesn't.

I have a thread on it, but if you have any questions just ask. I was asking around $300 to start but would sell for $250. PM me.

one1
Mar 12, 2008, 12:12 AM
ever get pics up?

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 12:27 AM
hockeysc23 has a good deal, if anybody can match that I'll consider any offers.

Also, I prefer doing a money order or something that avoids paypal like the plague.

Star Destroyer
Mar 12, 2008, 01:18 AM
I dont know, it sounds like you just described the ipod touch...
you can get an 8GB from bestbuy for that price...
They can watch movies, play youtube, hold some music, and surf the internet wirelessly very well :) an dthey hae a good battery life and the seem to have a better future then an old pismo...

I cant see why this wouldnt work, unless you wanted to do work on the trip, or needed the extra ten inches of screen space...

:) thought i would bring it up..

Also, ebay has a bunch of the ibooks for around 200 if you play ebay right, you could get like a 70mhz ibook G3, but Youtube seems to suck on things below a G4 (my 800mhz ibook could not even come close to play you tube, but played dvds perfectly (it couldnt even play a movie saved on the HDD)) Just a heads up on that fact...

shameless plug: I'm selling a lifedrive PDA, its got a 4GB HDD, 433mhz CPU, its small, you can edit word, excel and powerpoint, it has wifi and bluetooth, and it plays videos saved on the HDD (no youtube though.... ) i have a thread up in the market place, i posted it today. Sorry for that plug, its only 100$

livingfortoday
Mar 12, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, as a Pismo user. I use my Pismo for everything - from Photoshop to movies to YouTube. It is heavily upgraded - 550Mhz G4 - and it's fantastic. Runs everything I need, no issues. You will have some problems with YouTube, though. I have to shut down background processes and wait for videos to load all the way before starting them, otherwise it'll be choppy as hell. If I do it that way, it's smooth. No problems otherwise, but don't expect to be watching HD video on it or anything.

I'd highly recommend one if you're looking for a good portable that's got some upgradeability, otherwise look into a low-end iBook G4 which will be a bit more capable, and more portable (weight and size-wise).

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hmm...I never did think about it that way (getting an iPod Touch).

If all else fails, maybe I'll go that route...iPhone is pretty close in that price rang as well...

Keep the offers coming though.

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
Now you guys got me stuck between an old apple portable and an iPhone.

Bastards! :p

Star Destroyer
Mar 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
Sorry about that, see not my fault! i said ipod touch. not iphone silly hahaha

iphones are more then 250, where an 8gb touch is like, 245 from the refurb store...

If you think about it though the iphone (to me) has a really nice future, where as the old portable idea, well, this is its future and it passsed already..

I would go Iphone/touch, unless you need th ebig screen or document editting right away and cant use google docs.

Cheers, Let me know what you picked!

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 02:52 PM
I planned on purchasing an iPhone later this year, possibly when its 3G and the SDK is all sorted out.

Also, the fact I gotta pay $60 a month.

A cheap portable like a titanium G4 still has its uses. I have a Mac Pro to do the heavy lifting of course..The titanium would surf web, e-mail, etc.

Backtothemac
Mar 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
Here is a great pismo from a great seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330218718713&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

NIPRING
Mar 12, 2008, 06:20 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330218718713&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Wow, that looks like a great set up, and a good deal to boot!

bill

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 06:24 PM

Wow, that looks like a great set up, and a good deal to boot!

bill

Still, it's a G3...as great as that deal may sound.

iMpathetic
Mar 12, 2008, 06:30 PM

Never underestimate the G3. Buy it!

I think you've been spoiled by your Mac Pro.

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
I really have been...

I started with a 400 mhz G3 PowerMac, it was a beast....just kidding, but it was a great re-entry back into the Mac Experience.

Having 4 processors at 2660 Mhz usually helps with performance:D

I might be able to spend more than $250 but we'll see about that..

yabai
Mar 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
As a Pismo owner, I will tell you that a Pismo can do everything you ask except watch Youtube videos. A 400/500 G3 isn't good enough to watch them very smoothly at all. G4 or higher for youtube :P

Just my 2 cents

FF_productions
Mar 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
G4 + Up it is.

I might be able to stretch $300+ just throw me an offer.

Backtothemac
Mar 12, 2008, 10:32 PM

Ah, but remember, for about $249 you can upgrade that G3 to a G4, the Pismo had a daughtercard.

FF_productions
Mar 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
I've only got one solid offer...Anybody else?

Laptops I'm currently targeting
iBook G4 (14 inch)
PowerBook G4 Titanium/Alu

I'll take any other offers though...