PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Made Me Miss My Flight

MacBytes
Mar 11, 2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: Steve Jobs Made Me Miss My Flight (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080311221222)
Description:: Michael Nygard gets stopped by TSA agents trying to catch a flight with his MacBook Air in his bag. TSA couldn’t believe it was a real laptop.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cgray24
Mar 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
Its good these people are not the ones protecting us from the bad guys...oh wait......

arkmannj
Mar 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: Steve Jobs Made Me Miss My Flight (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080311221222)
Description:: Michael Nygard gets stopped by TSA agents trying to catch a flight with his MacBook Air in his bag. TSA couldn’t believe it was a real laptop.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

The article was ok, but the title is totally misleading. I guess it does its job of puling people into reading it though. how many of us would read an article titled "TSA Made Me Miss My Flight". we'd all shrug and go, yeah so, happens to lots of people; and then never read the article...

jman2003
Mar 11, 2008, 09:49 PM
haha, same thing happend to me when I was coming home from spring training last week. They put my backpack through the xray. Stopped it, took out my macbook air and said "your not allowed to have this on any aircraft" and i am stunned. He thought it was a "weapon" what a b****. lol Then, while i walked away. He said OO its a macbook air, jessie (some1 else working there at the TSA w/e) look, its a macbook air look at how thin it is!. But i didnt end up missing my flight. I ended up with my flight delayed 6 houres to land at 2 when it was supposed to land at 7 ]. haha

Drumjim85
Mar 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
Description:: Michael Nygard gets stopped by TSA agents trying to catch a flight with his MacBook Air in his bag......

Why are TSA agents trying to catch a flight? .. and what were they doing with Michael's MBA?? something doesn't add up ...

:p

JBazz
Mar 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
Well, if you want to avoid the hastle, have the laptop out of its bag and on when you go thru.

But what do I know.

MacTheSpoon
Mar 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
That story is too funny. But the fact he missed his flight does really suck.

TravisReynolds
Mar 12, 2008, 12:48 AM
lol

whenever there's a problem

blame steve

winterspan
Mar 12, 2008, 03:40 AM
unbelievable! Our tax dollars at work! :D

Eraserhead
Mar 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
Well, if you want to avoid the hastle, have the laptop out of its bag and on when you go thru.

Isn't that standard procedure at every airport ever?

SPUY767
Mar 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
What rock do they scrape these people from the underside of? How in the hell can you not have seen anything about this computer?

Mindflux
Mar 12, 2008, 09:43 AM
What rock do they scrape these people from the underside of? How in the hell can you not have seen anything about this computer?

It has nothing to do with the computer itself. It had to do with it's 'lack of a disk drive', because it was an SSD model. I'm calling BS on this because everyone with a flash based MP3 player would be under the same scrutiny.

codalo
Mar 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
of course they watch TV but are the MBA ads showing on non english channels?

anti-microsoft
Mar 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
of course they watch TV but are the MBA ads showing on non english channels?

I guess not...:(

IJ Reilly
Mar 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
It has nothing to do with the computer itself. It had to do with it's 'lack of a disk drive', because it was an SSD model. I'm calling BS on this because everyone with a flash based MP3 player would be under the same scrutiny.

No, they wouldn't because MP3 players are not laptops. The TSA screeners are trained to look for specific internal components inside of electronic devices. A laptop with no hard drive mechanism and something unrecognizable in its place looked suspicious to them. The screener was actually being quite heads-up aware, but obviously, their training is somewhat behind the technology curve.

JNB
Mar 12, 2008, 11:46 AM
The moron writing the article made himself miss his own flight. Going through security as the flight was boarding? Numbskull. I see a fair amount of embellishment for attention-getting in that whole article.

Drumjim85
Mar 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
No, they wouldn't because MP3 players are not laptops. The TSA screeners are trained to look for specific internal components inside of electronic devices. A laptop with no hard drive mechanism and something unrecognizable in its place looked suspicious to them. The screener was actually being quite heads-up aware, but obviously, their training is somewhat behind the technology curve.

I'm glad they're doing a strict job... last year I got through security with a pocket knife on my key chain (i totally forgot it was there)... it wasn't until a pilot behind my caught it that i had to give it up ...... and after he found it he bitched out the person watching the x-ray machine ....

IJ Reilly
Mar 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
The moron writing the article made himself miss his own flight. Going through security as the flight was boarding? Numbskull. I see a fair amount of embellishment for attention-getting in that whole article.

Yeah, I guess. Probably all of us have had our own strange/absurd/frustrating experiences with airport security though, so empathy is a natural reaction. I thought his piece was quite humorous.

I'm glad they're doing a strict job... last year I got through security with a pocket knife on my key chain (i totally forgot it was there)... it wasn't until a pilot behind my caught it that i had to give it up ...... and after he found it he bitched out the person watching the x-ray machine ....

The TSA guys always look so bored, I'll take comfort from knowing that at least some of them are paying attention.

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
kind of a weird article. kinda of funny i guess

Mindflux
Mar 12, 2008, 01:05 PM

Alright buddy. Does your Fiancee work for TSA? Because mine does.

FWIW it actually has to do with whether the device has enough battery power to detonate anything. an iPod does not where a laptop does. However the whole reason this is floating around hyping crap up is because of the SSD disk. I am also pretty damn positive the MBA is NOT the first notebook with SSD.

IJ Reilly
Mar 12, 2008, 01:17 PM
Alright buddy. Does your Fiancee work for TSA? Because mine does.

FWIW it actually has to do with whether the device has enough battery power to detonate anything. an iPod does not where a laptop does. However the whole reason this is floating around hyping crap up is because of the SSD disk. I am also pretty damn positive the MBA is NOT the first notebook with SSD.

Nobody said it was, but SSD drives are relatively new. Obviously the TSA screeners are not up on this technology yet, buddy.

Mindflux
Mar 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nobody said it was, but SSD drives are relatively new. Obviously the TSA screeners are not up on this technology yet, buddy.

Alright chum.
:rolleyes:

chaoticbear
Mar 12, 2008, 01:26 PM
Why are TSA agents trying to catch a flight? .. and what were they doing with Michael's MBA?? something doesn't add up ...

:p

The modifier was ambiguous. "trying to catch a flight" was supposed to modify "Michael" instead of the "TSA agents"

Drumjim85
Mar 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
The modifier was ambiguous. "trying to catch a flight" was supposed to modify "Michael" instead of the "TSA agents"

haha, yes, i know.... that's what the :p was for

Analog Kid
Mar 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
I call BS all over this... If you've checked a bag, the plane can't leave without you unless they go through the baggage and remove yours. I've had bags go onto the wrong plane, but they'll hold the plane if some one has checked in and hasn't made it to the gate yet.

I've gone through security with all sorts of non-standard electronics. Usually no one says boo, sometimes they get pulled out of my bag, inspected, wiped for explosives residue, and then cleared. I've never seen TSA be anything but efficient and professional.

Can a screener miss something after staring at an endless stream of Xray images? Sure. Are they going to huddle around a new laptop like aborigines finding a coke bottle? No...

The TSA guys always look so bored, I'll take comfort from knowing that at least some of them are paying attention.
I think some of the boredom may be coming from the fact that they know any attempt to secure the gate on their part is being undermined elsewhere. They'll take a keychain sized pocket knife, but there are kitchens on the other side that have cooking knives, they let me peel the sharp metal lid off a can of tuna fish in their $5 lunch box on the plane, and there's no shortage of glass. They make a big show of the flight crew going through security with the rest of us, but the ground crews only get spot checked. Only passengers are allowed through, but anyone can print a boarding pass off the internet.

If I had to spend my day hassling people, knowing I'm always hassling the wrong people, I'd get tired of it quickly too...

MikeTheC
Mar 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
This may well catch me some flame mail for posting my opinions, so let me say in advance I'm not trying to attack anyone personally, and all those out there who are honestly trying to do no more than protect this country and it's citizens, I hold in high regard. That being said, however...

The TSA (and more to the point, the DHS) have made a complete pig's ear out of our airborne transportation system. Fortunately I do not travel for a living, and while I'm in no way "afraid to fly", I can tell you I simply do not ever look forward to going anywhere near an airport.

Thanks, guys.

Moreover, I do not agree to the terms and conditions of my passage, as they now exist, on an airplane. I can't help the fact that others don't know my intentions. I simply am uninterested in submitting to the bulls**t required for domestic flights, and therefore have effectively "opted out" of air travel. This is simply another instance of me being further and further marginalized on this country. Oh well...

*sigh*

IJ Reilly
Mar 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well one thing seems to be unanimously agreed upon: nobody likes the TSA. ;)

chaoticbear
Mar 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
haha, yes, i know.... that's what the :p was for

Oh. :/

Sometimes native English speakers really don't understand the grammar. I'll get it next time.

TFM
Mar 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
Following all the rules and being more prepared would have helped - it was the moron's own fault for missing his flight