Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it would be safe to buy the 8GB iTouch now given that its been on the market for a while. I would expect Apple to upgrade this any time soon (perhaps a capacity bump across the line?). Anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance! :)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, there will be a capacity bump... eventually. Nobody knows when. You're probably safe to buy it now since iPod updates don't usually come until late summer. Check out Target or Fry's... they've had some good deals on these devices. I know that at target now, you can buy the 8GB and get a $50 gift card for the store, which you could use for accessories or even just turn around and buy a $50 iTunes gift certificate with it.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I would wait till June...there is a software update that iPod Touch users will have to pay for. So wait till June and get the update for free on a new touch.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I would wait till June...there is a software update that iPod Touch users will have to pay for. So wait till June and get the update for free on a new touch.
That's more than three months away. I would rather have 100 more days with my iPod than save $20 and go without one for the interim time...

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
"You're probably safe to buy it now since iPod updates don't usually come until late summer."

Yes, but Apple has been updating the touch... irregularly. Remember that it got a storage bump a few weeks ago.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
"You're probably safe to buy it now since iPod updates don't usually come until late summer."

Yes, but Apple has been updating the touch... irregularly. Remember that it got a storage bump a few weeks ago.
They added something new to the line ONCE... That's not even an upgrade.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
If you're expecting something like a major hardware update, it won't happen until iPhone gets one too. And even then, most of the changes that could come to iPhone won't be coming to iPod touch except for cosmetic changes. With flash prices dropping, it is likely that all we will receive for a while is storage bumps and software upgrades.

There is no reason for a hardware upgrade for the touch right now. What would Apple add?

graemesangels

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
If you're expecting something like a major hardware update, it won't happen until iPhone gets one too. And even then, most of the changes that could come to iPhone won't be coming to iPod touch except for cosmetic changes. With flash prices dropping, it is likely that all we will receive for a while is storage bumps and software upgrades.

There is no reason for a hardware upgrade for the touch right now. What would Apple add?

I can think of at several hardware upgrades (bluetooth, physical volume/track buttons) that would make me keener to buy and iPod touch. I don't expect any of them anytime soon though. As many people have pointed out Apple would rather sell us iPhones than iPod touches.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
That's more than three months away. I would rather have 100 more days with my iPod than save $20 and go without one for the interim time...

as would i. but it depends on the user's needs and ability to pay an extra $20 later on. for many, $300 (or $2xx with discount) is a big sum and saving $20 down the line can be incentive to wait. just a thought.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
As many people have pointed out Apple would rather sell us iPhones than iPod touches.

apples dumb philosophy that pple will actually go sign up with one of their jerky AT&T/o2 contracts???

well they make 899 quid per legal iphone compared to a 199 pound touch.....

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006

Just afraid that there will be a capacity bump. 8GB doesn't seem like much especially given all the things you can put in there, yet shelling out an additional 100 for 8 gbs isn't something I'm willing to do at the moment. So I keep sitting on this fence :confused:

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
I'm in a similar position. My issue is not around storage but functionality. I'm trying to determine whether I can use an iPT to replace two devices (iPod and PDA). If so, I'll probably get it.

My suggestion to the OP would be think along the lines of functionality instead of storage. Unfortunately you live in a world of disposable technology. You will NEVER catch up and you will always overpay for technology. Even a screaming deal on an 8 gig iPT today will be worthless in near future once new functionality is introduced. The value to you then will be the use you got out of the device over the time you had it.

If price is an issue, then wait. But if price is less of an issue, then think about what you are going to use it for, what you plan to replace with it, and how much utility you will get from it. That should help you make your decision.

For myself, I have been reading as much as I can on using the iPT as a PDA as I plan on getting a 16gb myself. I also plan on visiting the Apple store and have one of their salespeople walk me through the PDA qualities of the device. Then I will decide whether to replace my existing setup with a iPT.

Good luck!

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
apples dumb philosophy that pple will actually go sign up with one of their jerky AT&T/o2 contracts???

well they make 899 quid per legal iphone compared to a 199 pound touch.....

That's the sort of logic that, unfortunately, prevails when the number crunching accountants stick their oar in. Sadly true.:mad:

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA

I'd like to see a smaller touch. The footprint is way too big.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Just afraid that there will be a capacity bump. 8GB doesn't seem like much especially given all the things you can put in there, yet shelling out an additional 100 for 8 gbs isn't something I'm willing to do at the moment. So I keep sitting on this fence :confused:

Sorry I meant to direct what I said to the post above me. My mistake!

I am completely with you on the fact that 8GB isn't enough. I had intended to buy the 8GB model, but at the last minute decided on 16GB, and right now, I just passed the 8GB mark. So I guess it was a good idea after all.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Sorry I meant to direct what I said to the post above me. My mistake!

I am completely with you on the fact that 8GB isn't enough. I had intended to buy the 8GB model, but at the last minute decided on 16GB, and right now, I just passed the 8GB mark. So I guess it was a good idea after all.

8g is good enough for me. Though my music collection tops 15g I don't think I can't listen to 3g of music in a week. If you keep on waiting for a price drop you'll wait forever as there will always be a potential for another price drop.

conradzoo

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
If you want/need one now, buy the one (size wise) you can live with.

I am in the same position. Do I want one, yes. Do I need one (having a 2G 8gb nano), no. Having said that, I mean not for listening to my music.

The iTouch/iPhone is a different league, and at a different price. My next pod will go beyond the music part (as it is now), but for the moment I can wait, at least till June. I am already drooling at the possibilities to come, and well, if it all comes true, I snap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.