PDA

View Full Version : Remove noise, saturation, etc. in audio editing

MusicNut65
Mar 12, 2008, 01:34 AM
Hello everybody,
I am a newbie.
First, considering the subject of this message, I want to make it clear that I have no intention to do any sort of illegal (commercial) remastering. I have never sold - and never will - a recording in my life.
However I have been collecting, and am still buying, all sorts of music since 40 years ago, am in the process of converting old vinyl records and cassettes into mp3 and also have a large number of old low quality CD's which partly contain what I would call recordings of "historic interest" e.g. public concerts where technicians forgot to survey sound saturation, coughed beside the microphone or stamped repeatedly on the cables. :mad: This obliges me to dive for the equalizer every 5 minutes to avoid aggravating my ears, which is NOT what music is intended for. And I always have something playing in the headphones when working on my iMac (a year old, OSX 10.4.11, 3 Go RAM).

To improve my personal listening comfort, I wonder if anybody knows of a software (which does not cost the price of a computer) that may enable me to get rid of saturation pitches, parasite sounds like, hums, bumps, etc. The softwares I know of only have the usual feature to reduce cracks when converting old records.
The use of sonograms, for instance, would not scare me. I got acquainted with those in the 1970's... non computerized ones. But I have only been using computers for 3 years and a hyper-sophisticated software would be very hard for me to use.
I would be very grateful for your ideas.
MusicNut65