Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marvel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Hi,

My CD drive in my G4 iBook died so I bought one off a friend whose hard drive had died (who assured me the CD drive worked). It is a G4 iBook CD-RW/DVDROM Combo Drive. However, when I swapped the drives over, the new one still doesn't work. When I try and put a CD in, it doesn't take it (it just whirs and chugs a bit). Do I need to do anything to install the drive or is this drive also dead?

Thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It may also be dead. You should recheck your connections first to make sure everything is firmly connected.

If everything is connected properly and you did not change any jumpers it should work properly from one iBook to another. How long was it sitting around I have found many working optical drives fail when being unused for extended periods of time.

Marvel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure how long it was sat around for - I'll check this.

(Sorry if this is silly!). The 'new' drive that I received came with an orange connection cable but when I opened my iBook the CD drive was connected via a white cable - I simply swapped them over. Should it still work?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.