PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Quicksilver Server Summary

arn
May 2, 2002, 07:34 PM
An eBay item appeared on Thursday claiming to be a Macintosh G4 Quicksilver 2002 Server Logic board. This auction has since been pulled at the request of Apple.

The auction included a picture of the motherboard which appeared to have 4 DDR RAM slots as well as a mysterious port (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/05/20020502174828.shtml) - which is presumed to be 1394b (Firewire2).

Xlr8yourmac.com's webmaster, Mike Breeden, had word (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/001084.html) of the unit, but could provide no details expect hint that it is a sign of things to come.

This Appleinsider forum post (http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001608) provides the seller's response to where the motherboard came from:

This board was sent to a friend of mine and was issued as a test board. I have been notified by Apple and eBay that this board was never intended for sale and the auction was cancelled at Apple's request. I apologize to all that this turned out to be a problem.

To all that were interested, this board runs GREAT. The DDR memory really improves the performance. I hope I am able to offer similar boards in the near future.

macstudent
May 2, 2002, 08:25 PM
Someone should ask him if it really was a firewire2 port. Maybe he can take some more pictures for us too.

sparkleytone
May 2, 2002, 08:48 PM
so you have a dual 800 and you are using a peecee?

:(

spuncan
May 2, 2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks alot unfortunatly I never got to see that. Wonder what will happen to the board, high bidder, and seller.

TwitchOSX
May 2, 2002, 08:52 PM
Here at work, they provide me with a lame peecee, and im typing away on my G4 right now, which I bring in every day, however, those pages were still loaded on the PC.. I had already closed them in OSX.

Xapplimatic
May 2, 2002, 09:28 PM
I printed the auction page out as a PDF file to disk.. (thanks OS X!!! :) If anyone wants it... email me: mxor @ earthlink.net

groovebuster
May 3, 2002, 12:14 AM
... pull the pages anyway, no matter if the board is real or not. If it is real I don't get how it could show up just like that on e-bay (Why they would give it just like that to a moron that even can't have not outdated furniture ;)). If it is a fake, Apple would pull the page just to protect their product from any misinformation.

So let's be true... that auction isn't of any value for us, 'coz the chances are 50:50 that the board was real.

And it is interesting that he didn't lose a word about the processor it is running with. Also no processor on the board, so what's the point?

For things like that I am sceptical... sorry! ;)

groovebuster

BongHits
May 3, 2002, 12:44 AM
this is my first post at mac rumors. I recently bought a Quicksilver G4 933 w/ 17" LCD after dealing with Microsoft's half ass products for close to a decade. I was curious if that port may be a digital audio link? SP/DIF i think it's called? just a thought because i need one. off topic, does anyone know of a 5.1 or 4.1 surround sound audio card for OS X? im looking to hook up a klipsch 5.1 or 4.1 setup, i just need the card. If that port is the next generation of Firewire, why only include one? And does that mean they're upgrading to USB 2? My final question, when the new motherboard is released (if still G4) can it be swapped with the current G4 motherboard to allow for DDR ram? that would be a great option since i just blew three grand on a computer and (i'm a student) cannot afford another just for DDR. sorry for the rants.

brian

iH8Quark
May 3, 2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by BongHits
If that port is the next generation of Firewire, why only include one?

heh...well it looks like you're more perceptive than the rest of us. That's a good point.

Maybe we need a few more "green" people in here. BongHits, eh? ;)

BongHits
May 3, 2002, 12:52 AM
everbody needs a little green!

Macmaniac
May 3, 2002, 06:44 AM
I must say that red was eye catching! It would be so cool if boards came in colors:) You could have flame boards that look like fire. Oh the person who has the auction pdf, could you send it to me at flashgordy12@aol.com ?

mac15
May 3, 2002, 07:05 AM
I did some browsing and found the pic
Enjoy:D

mac15
May 3, 2002, 07:06 AM
Woops
here it is

[image removed per Apple legal]

conceptDawg
May 3, 2002, 08:54 AM
As to the question of "why only one of those funny little ports":

If this is a prototype board, it is quite normal to not match production merchandise. The likelyhood of someone NEEDING more than one FireWire2 port on a machine (because there are SO many FW2 devices out there) for testing is quite low. Especially considering it was probably quite early in the testing stage when they first received this board if it is showing up in the 'real-world' now.

It could very well be a FW2 port. As to it being an SP/DIF...it doesn't really look the same. But, you never know. It could be some freaky Apple proprietary port for something we haven't seen yet. Imagine what a picture like this of an ADC connector would have been like. We would have had no clue.

As to the colors on motherboards. I is quite common for Apple to color their motherboards. The new iMac motherboard is aqua-blue, prototypes are red. So it is definitely not out of the question for the next tower motherboard to be colored.

cD

Cloudscout
May 3, 2002, 09:37 AM
Think Secret has a story (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/rackmount2.html) about the possibility of rackmount servers coming up. Could these two things be related?

Backtothemac
May 3, 2002, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone, I can tell you right now. Write it down. Here are the specs from MWNY.

1.0 1.2 and dual 1.4 G4's all with SOI
No Rapid I/O on this board, but will have bluetooth
266 DDR in 1.0 and 1.2 333 DDR in 1.4's (not positive, could all be 266 or 333)
2 usb 2 firewire 1firewire2.0 and 1usb 2.0
60, 80 and 120GB drives
New Superdrive and faster CDRW's and combos.
Gforce 4MX and Ti's
256,256, and 512 MB of ram exp. to 4GB. :D
Case revision.

We will see 10.2, updates to iApps, as well as other stuff at NY, but this is by far going to be the biggest.

prechrchet
May 3, 2002, 10:09 AM
I'm by no means an expert on this, but......Is it just me, or are those PCI slots farther from the edge than what they would need to be? I can't help but wondering if this thing isn't one big hoax.

Just my two cents.

chet

ftaok
May 3, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Hey everyone, I can tell you right now. Write it down. Here are the specs from MWNY.

60, 80 and 120GB drives
Gforce 4MX and Ti's
Case revision.

We will see 10.2, updates to iApps, as well as other stuff at NY, but this is by far going to be the biggest. Why would you need USB 1.1 and Firewire 1 ports if you have USB 2.0 and Firewire 2 ports? The plugs for both USB 2.0 and Firewire 2 are backwards compatible, so if you have USB 2.0 and FW2, there's no need for USB 1.1 and FW1.

mischief
May 3, 2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by prechrchet
I'm by no means an expert on this, but......Is it just me, or are those PCI slots farther from the edge than what they would need to be? I can't help but wondering if this thing isn't one big hoax.

Just my two cents.

chet

Read the description in the link. This was destined for a RACK. Rack servers are laid out a bit differently from Tower cases. In fact a thread I started to analyze potential case changes determind that EXACTLY this config would be optimal for a rack.

I will start a thread to thoroughly analyze this.

ClassicMac
May 3, 2002, 10:36 AM
Am I just overlooking it, or is there no socket for a processor on that mobo?

mywar2000
May 3, 2002, 11:01 AM
About the SPI/DF ... Nope thats not a sp/dif connection. SP/DIF actually uses what looks like a normal rca connection. It is, in effect, an unbalanced,stereo, digital connection. As opposed to AES/UBU which uses an XLR connection and is balanced. (and of course stereo)

As far as a socket for the processor...Isn't that on a daughter card in these servers?

Hope that helps a little...

Jeremy

mischief
May 3, 2002, 11:03 AM
the socket is immediately behind the ports. It appears that the screw-slots out in the middle of the board are the only places to bring standoffs through to hold it up so we can assume that the card is HUGE.

Can someone scale this thing from the fake woodgrain in the table? How big is it?

mcrain
May 3, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by mischief
the socket is immediately behind the ports. It appears that the screw-slots out in the middle of the board are the only places to bring standoffs through to hold it up so we can assume that the card is HUGE.

Can someone scale this thing from the fake woodgrain in the table? How big is it?

Why don't you just scale it from something that we know. I mean, how hard is it to figure out how long standard DDR slots are or IDE ports or whatever. Or, for that matter, the size of firewire slots is a known.

crassusad44
May 3, 2002, 11:50 AM
To all you colorblind here at MacRumors! The board is really green, not red! Can't you see??? And it's a G5 motherboard, not a G4!

:p

[image removed per Apple legal]

Backtothemac
May 3, 2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ftaok
Why would you need USB 1.1 and Firewire 1 ports if you have USB 2.0 and Firewire 2 ports? The plugs for both USB 2.0 and Firewire 2 are backwards compatible, so if you have USB 2.0 and FW2, there's no need for USB 1.1 and FW1.

Actually, 1394b is not backwards compatible. USB 2.0 and 1.1 use the same connection, but not all devices will work with 2.0. That would explain the backwards compat. I am just saying what my guys is saying.

whfsdude
May 3, 2002, 12:25 PM

Actually, 1394b is not backwards compatible. USB 2.0 and 1.1 use the same connection, but not all devices will work with 2.0. That would explain the backwards compat. I am just saying what my guys is saying.

That would make sense because apple doesn't screw it users like the pc world :D

djniche
May 3, 2002, 12:32 PM
Tired of the greeen - blue or yellow or a color that goes along with the new tower design. How bout aqua blue

[image removed per apple legal]

conceptDawg
May 3, 2002, 12:32 PM
(to crassusad44) just a note:

When doing Photoshop color mods, remember to change the reflection on the table too. There's still a red reflection on the table from the original image. (see lower right corner of board)

;)

That's not to say that the original couldn't be fake too, but if it was, it was a much better fake.

TwitchOSX
May 3, 2002, 12:35 PM
U got spanked =)

mischief
May 3, 2002, 12:37 PM
look at the traces. you can follow them from component group to component group. The sockets that are obscured by bad lighting were not "fixed" so the pin holes are not apparent......... I doubt it's fake. The only thing that I'm suspect of is the RAM slots.

mcrain
May 3, 2002, 01:48 PM
This came from apple insider.

[image removed per apple legal]

gjohns01
May 3, 2002, 02:26 PM
I'm looking at the "markup" of the "server" motherboard. Why would a server mobo need a modem cable slot? Also, shouldn't there be an Ultra160 SCSI controller (RAID maybe) somewhere? Dual LAN ports maybe?

TwitchOSX
May 3, 2002, 02:42 PM
The keyword here is "prototype" .. not "finished product". It could be an early prototype of a server board without all that other stuff on it yet.

Rower_CPU
May 3, 2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by gjohns01
I'm looking at the "markup" of the "server" motherboard. Why would a server mobo need a modem cable slot? Also, shouldn't there be an Ultra160 SCSI controller (RAID maybe) somewhere? Dual LAN ports maybe?

As we've discussed in previous threads, the Apple servers are exactly the same as their desktop machines (at this point in time). Hence the presence of a modem port on the mobo. SCSI and additional Ethernet ports are handled through PCI cards.

gjohns01
May 3, 2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TwitchOSX
The keyword here is "prototype" .. not "finished product". It could be an early prototype of a server board without all that other stuff on it yet.

Yeah could be. But I'm still freaking amazed that this guy tried to sell it. What was he thinking? I'm surprised Apple didn't send Men In Black over to neuralyze him. Also, I thought Apple locked up their prototypes in a generic case you weren't allowed to open. Anyway. Can't wait to WWDC.

TwitchOSX
May 3, 2002, 02:48 PM
Yea.. not "supposed" to open. I would assume also not "supposed" to sell either =) But he tried.

gjohns01
May 3, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

As we've discussed in previous threads, the Apple servers are exactly the same as their desktop machines (at this point in time). Hence the presence of a modem port on the mobo. SCSI and additional Ethernet ports are handled through PCI cards.

:) yeah I'm aware they are the same right now. If this is supposed to be a "rackmount" server mobo, it must have been a quick reconfigure from the desktop mobo. Why waste the circuit board to move things around. Bring on the power baby.

Rower_CPU
May 3, 2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by gjohns01
:) yeah I'm aware they are the same right now. If this is supposed to be a "rackmount" server mobo, it must have been a quick reconfigure from the desktop mobo. Why waste the circuit board to move things around. Bring on the power baby.

I agree. If this is a rack mount mobo, it doesn't need an onboard modem. If it's some sort of hybrid (new desktop form factor) then I can see why it would be included. Here's an upclose view of those ports:

[image removed]

crassusad44
May 3, 2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by conceptDawg
(to crassusad44) just a note:

When doing Photoshop color mods, remember to change the reflection on the table too. There's still a red reflection on the table from the original image. (see lower right corner of board)

Didn't bother to do Photoshop work. Took me 1 1/2 min in PhotoRetouch Pro...

But thanks for the info, anywayz :p ;)

nickgold
May 3, 2002, 04:58 PM
... is probably for the VR goggles that will be necessary to interact with OS X 3D, which is part of the 10.2 upgrade.

*ducks*

;)

Catfish_Man
May 3, 2002, 08:01 PM

60, 80 and 120GB drives
Gforce 4MX and Ti's
Case revision.

We will see 10.2, updates to iApps, as well as other stuff at NY, but this is by far going to be the biggest.

I can believe that. The one thing that's a bit odd is two DDR speeds. Wouldn't that require two different system busses? Never heard of anyone doing that before. Other than that though, thats either a **** good guess, or inside info.

lucs
May 4, 2002, 02:34 AM
oh dude, when i saw that i got so pumped that i almost kicked my mom in the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markseaton
May 4, 2002, 05:14 AM
OK so this is the low down of the image

AGP with a "ADC power port" (Why would you need this in a server?)
AirPort "cool maybe 2.4ghz or highter"
4 DDR slots recessed far back on the mainboard
(Maybe this is a new tower design?)
If it running DDR then the bus must be up t aleast 266mhz maybe 333mhz
Apple CPU connector (standard)
Three IDE ports
(one for main HD plus CD/DVD Drive)
(The other two IDE ports are for RAID Arays)
(Ideal for Video editor's) :D
Modem(Standard)
Battery(standard)
And RED mainboard(Test board)
FireWire(2 ports, maybe 2.0)
USB(2 Ports, not likly to be 2.0 also)
Mini-Jack line in(Thank god apple brought it back, what a mistake that was)
Unknow port(to me it look alot like the video port on the ibook)

G4scott
May 4, 2002, 10:02 AM
I don't think that that port is like the video one on the iBook. Why would Apple do that?

About this motherboard going into a rack... (I don't know much about racks, so bear with me on this one...)

Wouldn't it be plausible for Apple to make a server rack, AND a high-end workstation rack? This way, high-end users would be able to buy something like 4 rack-mountable computers and put them all in a rack. And maybe with a special PCI card or something, hook them all together to work as one computer?

This way, people who need tons of power, with an un-limited budget can buy as many computers as they need, and hook them all together, and the lower end pro users would be able to affordably buy one.

Just a thought, but this may explain some of the features like the firewire, usb, and all of that other stuff on a 'server'. Since Apple's server and desktop motherboards are the same, it would make sense for Apple to use this 'test' motherboard in regular desktop, or high-end rack computers...

drastik
May 4, 2002, 11:50 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I seem to recall another thread where it was established that Apple uses a series of different colored boards that effectively mark the stage that the process is at. I can't find the thread, though. If anyone can confirm this, what does the red mean, ae we gong to see this in a year, or five years, or ever?

gopher
May 4, 2002, 02:15 PM
It is just a 56k modem on the motherboard. You are making a fuss over nothing. And still only 4 PCI slots. When will Apple ever learn some people really use 6 PCI slots. True I could go get a Magma case or Marathon Computing rackmount, but that's not the point.

Rower_CPU
May 4, 2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by gopher
It is just a 56k modem on the motherboard. You are making a fuss over nothing. And still only 4 PCI slots. When will Apple ever learn some people really use 6 PCI slots. True I could go get a Magma case or Marathon Computing rackmount, but that's not the point.

Please provide some photographic evidence that shows it's a modem port.

From the pictures we've seen here thus far, it looks more like a 1394b port than a modem.

jelloshotsrule
May 4, 2002, 02:28 PM
just curious about something in general...

why is there such a "small" limit on RAM in the current macs (ie towers)? i remember hearing a guy at the maya demo at mwny last year saying the computer was a dual 800 with 1.5 gigs, but ideally the computer would have 5 gigs of ram with terabytes of hard drive space...

so is the issue of limiting it to 1.5 (as of now) a cost, space, practical (ie, not enough people would want more than 3 slots to make it worthwhile) issue?

gopher
May 4, 2002, 03:15 PM
Nobody knows what 1394b will look like, it is only rumored. But I know how big my modem port is, and you could easily fit a modem port in that box shaped port shown in the image above. No other port is a modem port on that machine, and if you think the modem port will be on the front of the Mac, which it would have to be if it is next to that airport card slot, think again, Apple wouldn't do that. By process of elimination it is the 56k modem. And why only give one 1394b port? That's plain silly. We'll see who is right in July. I'd certainly like to be proven wrong, but remember until we actually see the thing, or the specs for 1394b are out, my guess is the 56k modem has been put on the motherboard next to the other ports.

Cellar Rat
May 4, 2002, 04:11 PM
My initial reaction to the suggestion that the mystery port is a modem port is that this is not the case.

There is a location complete with screw mount (right next to the airport socket toward the PCI slots) and a typical looking modem socket (labled on the diagram version of the photo as a cable connection) on the board for a modem daughter card, complete with it's typical cable attachment nearby (the white blob on the edge of the logic board to the left of the airport socket).

Another thought is that, although an ethernet plug is wider than a phone jack, it is the same height. Thus the fact that port X is quite a bit smaller than the ethernet port could point to it being something else.

I have swapped out my share of G4 logic boards, and modem cards and the phone cord receptacle have always resided each in their own enclosures, OFF the board.

I could be way off base, but I believe that the reasoning behind this is that modems are frequently blown in areas where thunderstorms occur. Why replace the whole MLB when you could just replace a daughter card?

Typically the phone cord receptacle (PCR) rides above the MLB, mounted to the case, and connects to the board with a very short cable.

arn
May 4, 2002, 04:19 PM
I'd certainly like to be proven wrong, but remember until we actually see the thing, or the specs for 1394b are out, my guess is the 56k modem has been put on the motherboard next to the other ports.

The specs are out, and this is exactly (http://www.macrumors.com/images/1394b.gif) what it looks like

reference: http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/About/ppt1.PDF

arn

Rower_CPU
May 4, 2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by arn
The specs are out, and this is exactly (http://www.macrumors.com/images/1394b.gif) what it looks like

reference: http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/About/ppt1.PDF

arn

Thanks arn. I was trying to see if the guy had bothered to check that link you posted. Obviously, he hadn't.

gopher
May 4, 2002, 05:22 PM
I e-mailed Arn a thank you, I hadn't seen that link before. And normally I wouldn't check PDF documents. I'm still curious how will they mount the modem if it is off board. Very odd. Unless like the baseline eMac it won't have a modem. Wouldn't that be a curious twist of fate. The death of 56k modems? I sure hope not. Unless Apple is about to announce nationwide wireless broadband!

Catfish_Man
May 4, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
just curious about something in general...

why is there such a "small" limit on RAM in the current macs (ie towers)? i remember hearing a guy at the maya demo at mwny last year saying the computer was a dual 800 with 1.5 gigs, but ideally the computer would have 5 gigs of ram with terabytes of hard drive space...

so is the issue of limiting it to 1.5 (as of now) a cost, space, practical (ie, not enough people would want more than 3 slots to make it worthwhile) issue?

...will support up to 4GBs of RAM. This prototype motherboard has 4 DDR slots (which is a bit odd. unless they have a *nice* memory controller, they'll have to slow the ram down and use registered ram to have all 4 slots filled), so it can have the full 4 GBs. 64 bit chips will be able to support *much* more ram.

Scottgfx
May 5, 2002, 03:04 AM
Others have noted the fact that there is three IDE connectors. Did anyone notice that there is a set of dip switches next to the 2 connectors near the back of the board? I'm going to bet that the chip to the immediate left of those connectors is a Highpoint IDE RAID chip. Also, to the right of the ethernet connector is a space, soder pads and silkscreen for another connection. I'm guessing that it's missing the digital audio.

If I am right that the big chip near the back is the IDE RAID, then where are the Northbridge and Southbridge chips? I guess that they are on the other side of the MB. Actually, now that I look at it, Just behind the processor socket, there looks like some passthroughs for a chip on the other side. Interesting! :)

What's the white connector to the left of the Airport?

johnpaul191
May 5, 2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Scottgfx
Others have noted the fact that there is three IDE connectors. Did anyone notice that there is a set of dip switches next to the 2 connectors near the back of the board? I'm going to bet that the chip to the immediate left of those connectors is a Highpoint IDE RAID chip.

i think it's safe to assume that anything with dip switches on a test motherboard will be replaced with resistors or jumpers in the final product.... as for the 2 questionable ports.... doesnt Apple always put in some sort of oddball "testing" port on it's products when they are still hammering everything out? i hear that they *usually* are gone by the final product, but sometimes stay (like the slot on the bottom of the origional Rev A iMacs).

Scottgfx
May 5, 2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by johnpaul191

i think it's safe to assume that anything with dip switches on a test motherboard will be replaced with resistors or jumpers in the final product.... as for the 2 questionable ports.... doesnt Apple always put in some sort of oddball "testing" port on it's products when they are still hammering everything out? i hear that they *usually* are gone by the final product, but sometimes stay (like the slot on the bottom of the origional Rev A iMacs).

I was thinking along the lines of the fact that almost all of the IDE RAID PCI cards do have a block of dip switches on them.

What happened to all of the talk about the special clustering hardware that Apple was supposed to be developing? Does anyone see it in this MB?

mcrain
May 6, 2002, 09:28 AM
The death of 56k modems? I sure hope not. Unless Apple is about to announce nationwide wireless broadband!

Funny you should say that...

Cingular, Verizon, Sprint and a few others are getting ready to implement the 3g wireless system. I heard on the radio that it is capable of 128k internet speeds. That's more than twice what I get with my stupid dialup modem, but not nearly as fast as dsl, cable or the other broadband connections. That being said, however, if nationwide wireless internet is available at speeds twice that of a dialup modem, it would be in Apple's way of doing things to be the first to dump the dial up.

Then again, there are a lot of people who are stuck with 1-2 year dialup contracts from those promotions they used to run at best buy and circuit city.

keithcobbett
May 6, 2002, 10:18 AM
This I don't buy for much more than .03 seconds. Why would you stay with a 133MHz bus???

mischief
May 6, 2002, 10:55 AM
There has been a lot of speculation around Apple introducing RapidI/O at it's base speed of 250 Mhz. 133DDR has an effective datarate of 266 so it is theoretically possible to drop a few cycles and sync the two. Like tuning a Harley to "trot" like a horse. About a year ago I saw a prototype that had the instabilities I would expect from an early stage test of such a system.

This means Apple could move to DDR which has better value for money and Rapidio which goes as high as 500 Mhz. A 500 Mhz bus would allow MUCH higher processor speeds. I think a lot of this hinges on Apple suprising with a 32/64 capable chipset and CPU.