PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac airplane container/housing?

princealfie
Mar 12, 2008, 10:15 AM
What is the best way/thingey to house a PowerMac G3 or G4 if I were to bring it as luggage on an airplane?

Can this stand up to luggage handling?

http://www.mylugger.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=upgrades.details&product_id=7&p=6

JKitterman
Mar 12, 2008, 10:29 AM
Are you asking about carry on luggage or checking the laptop in? Carry on, a decent laptop bag will do.

WoOdPiPeS
Mar 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
In my experience with fragile musical instruments, I have to say that NEVER check-in anything valious. Just carry it with you. BUT, the problem you can have, is that the G5 is bigger than the permited sizes to carrying on board...
Then your option should be pay an insurance and check-in the computer, so, if the G5 is damaged/robbed, the money quantity you insured for will be refound to you (if you are lucky... should be a low cost way to upgrade G5 to MacPro hehehe).

Good luck

WP

princealfie
Mar 12, 2008, 11:08 AM
Are you asking about carry on luggage or checking the laptop in? Carry on, a decent laptop bag will do.

actually this would be a luggage check in for a desktop tower Mac not a laptop :D

krye
Mar 12, 2008, 01:03 PM
MyLugger makes a cool carry case for the Mac Pro. It may be a bit pricy at $159 but when you consider that you're protecting a $3000+ computer it may be worth it's weight in gold.

http://www.mylugger.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=upgrades.details&product_id=6&p=6

JKitterman
Mar 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
In that case, nothing short of the original shipping container or a large electronics transport case will do. These are heavy, expensive and most likely, you will be over the luggage weight limit.

princealfie
Mar 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
MyLugger makes a cool carry case for the Mac Pro. It may be a bit pricy at $159 but when you consider that you're protecting a $3000+ computer it may be worth it's weight in gold.

http://www.mylugger.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=upgrades.details&product_id=6&p=6

can you carry this onboard the plane?

WoOdPiPeS
Mar 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
can you carry this onboard the plane?
Here in EU, you should have problems with measurements and weight... don't know in the States...

WP

krye
Mar 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure. Isn't the Mac Pro a bit big for overhead storage? I'd maybe give 'em a call and ask if it's sturdy enough to handle baggage claim. What about checking it in using the box it came in? Just wrap it in brown paper so no one steals it. The theft rate from airline baggage handlers is insane. I'd sooner UPS it to my destination. Again, have you ever seen the way they toss those suitcases around?! I don't know if I'd want them doing that with my Mac Pro.

I guess call the airline and ask what the restrictions (size/weight) is for carry ons.

princealfie
Mar 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure. Isn't the Mac Pro a bit big for overhead storage? I'd maybe give 'em a call and ask if it's sturdy enough to handle baggage claim. What about checking it in using the box it came in? Just wrap it in brown paper so no one steals it. The theft rate from airline baggage handlers is insane. I'd sooner UPS it to my destination. Again, have you ever seen the way they toss those suitcases around?! I don't know if I'd want them doing that with my Mac Pro.

I guess call the airline and ask what the restrictions (size/weight) is for carry ons.

Sounds good. I think that Jetblue tends to be more liberal in their requirements.

WardC
Mar 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
I would say, box it up, carefully pack, and airmail it ahead of time to your destination, and have somebody pick it up and hold it for you, or pick it up yourself once you get there. Use a carrier/shipping co. with Insurance, such as FedEx or UPS. I know this may be costly (might cost over $100)...but it's probably the safest way to go, if you don't want to check your PowerMac in a bag under the plane. Anyway you do it, the most fragile thing that could probably get damaged in transit are the hard drives. You should take those out and transport those by hand, and then re-install them later.

Hope my advice helps.
-Ward

princealfie
Mar 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
I would say, box it up, carefully pack, and airmail it ahead of time to your destination, and have somebody pick it up and hold it for you, or pick it up yourself once you get there. Use a carrier/shipping co. with Insurance, such as FedEx or UPS. I know this may be costly (might cost over $100)...but it's probably the safest way to go, if you don't want to check your PowerMac in a bag under the plane. Anyway you do it, the most fragile thing that could probably get damaged in transit are the hard drives. You should take those out and transport those by hand, and then re-install them later.

Hope my advice helps.
-Ward

sounds good... although I feel better about carrying it on if possible...