PDA

View Full Version : iTunes library guilty pleasures

vniow
Nov 1, 2003, 02:23 PM
We all have some songs in our library that we keep under wraps until we're all alone, what are yours?

I've got a couple myself, I Don't Give a Damn by Avril Lavigne and Papercut by Linkin Park.

I feel dirty now...*shrug*

sparkleytone
Nov 1, 2003, 02:28 PM
lets see.

Two Backstreet Boys albums and ALL of the 'N Sync albums.

Flowbee
Nov 1, 2003, 02:30 PM
Crazy Horses (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=250138&selectedItemId=250102) by The Osmonds.:cool:

SeaFox
Nov 1, 2003, 10:08 PM
Well, there's

Montgomery Gentry - "Speed" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=636424&selectedItemId=800901). I saw the video on TV enough the song actually grew on me a bit even though I hate country.

I have some Evanescence tracks, some commercial Rap/Hip-Hop (Eminem, Nas), a couple tracks from Aaron Neville's album Warm You Heart (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=94641), Barenaked Ladies' "Alcohol" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=645201&selectedItemId=645173) .

There's also The Kelly Family's "Nanana" and a copy of Enya's "Only Time" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=161605&selectedItemId=161585), Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2906335&selectedItemId=2906234), and a half dozen tracks by Weird Al Yankovic.

That's about it, I think.

(note: I did not buy any of those tracks on the iTMS)

blakespot
Nov 2, 2003, 07:59 AM
SeaFox,

What's wrong with Enya?

blakespot

RobVanDam
Nov 2, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by vniow
I've got a couple myself, I Don't Give a Damn by Avril Lavigne and Papercut by Linkin Park.
I'll admit, I have Linkin Park on my hard drive, they have some decent beats, and some catchy songs...But AVRIL?!?

vniow
Nov 2, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RobVanDam
I'll admit, I have Linkin Park on my hard drive, they have some decent beats, and some catchy songs...But AVRIL?!?

Yeah yeah....shaddup...

edesignuk
Nov 2, 2003, 01:48 PM
Kelly Osbourne - Shut Up ...don't ask :eek:

RobVanDam
Nov 2, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Kelly Osbourne - Shut Up ...don't ask :eek:
And I thought Avril was bad...

SeaFox
Nov 2, 2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by blakespot
SeaFox,

What's wrong with Enya?

blakespot

Nothing.

It's just not really guy-music. I have so much slow airy stuff already, like Roxy Music's "Avalon". Just kinda steps over my image a little too much (not that I protray myself as some macho man or anything).

rogueimage
Nov 2, 2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SeaFox
I have some Evanescence tracks,
Is Evanescence shameful just because it's popular? I think Amy Lee's songwriting and lyrics, not to mention vocals, show real talent.

SeaFox
Nov 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by rogueimage
Is Evanescence shameful just because it's popular? I think Amy Lee's songwriting and lyrics, not to mention vocals, show real talent.

Her vocals are good, but the lyrics are full of cliches. Especially the current radio hit (Bring Me to Life). Lets not pretend Evanescence is popular because they're that good. They have been heavily marketed.

Her songwriting pales in comparison to the Soundgarden hits penned by Chris Cornell, I even find better songwriting abilities in early Garbage and later Jack-Off-Jill tracks.

My Immortal is pretty good because it breaks from the Pop/"Alternative" Rock genre.

But the hard-rockin'-slightly-goth tone (with token cute female lead singer) bit has been so overplayed.

Note: I am well aware of the irony of selecting Garbage as an alternative to Evanescence

edesignuk
Nov 3, 2003, 01:20 AM
heh, I know *bows head in shame*

I got another, possibly worse one for ya'll... Las Ketchup Girls - Ketchup Song. Not sure if it was in the states, but it was one of those big European cheesy summer hits, just had to have it! *again, bows head in shame*

stcanard
Nov 3, 2003, 02:09 AM
Marilyn Manson

I bought "Smells Like Children" based on him being a prodigy of Trent Reznor, and for the cover of Sweet Dreams. Now that one song is just too good to get rid of.

WinterMute
Nov 3, 2003, 09:31 AM
Everything Leonard Cohen ever released...

(tries to find razor blade with no success)

justdevin
Nov 4, 2003, 04:45 AM
"Magic," Olivia Newton-John. I'm not proud.

Shifty
Nov 4, 2003, 02:02 PM

LOL, you guys crack me up.

Although, I do have a P. Diddy in my library.

ps. My god, I do feel guilty

RobVanDam
Nov 4, 2003, 11:52 PM
Puff is acceptable as long as he is just the background of Shyne, Biggie, or possibly Loon...Please tell me you fall under that exception...

sparkleytone
Nov 5, 2003, 02:18 AM
Puff is (yeah) acceptable as long as (uh-huh) he is just the background (wut) of Shyne, Biggie, or possibly (cant stop) Loon...Please tell me you fall (wont stop) under that (yeah) exception...

phasornc
Nov 5, 2003, 08:40 AM
Umm... pulls out his iPod and scrolls through it:

-John Denver and the Muppets
-The Polyphonic Spree (from the Pod Unite commercial)
-Most songs featured on Mitsubishi commercials
-Soca Boys - Follow the Leader
-Styx - Mr. Roboto
-Eminem/Britney Spears Bootlegs
Oops Slim Shady Did It Again and others

Oh yeah and I just found some Enya in there too, so I guess I'm completely emasculated

sketchy
Nov 5, 2003, 02:27 PM

Linkin Park's reanimation has some gret songs on it.

I have some Eagles and Pure Prarie League and Jackson Browne and Fleetwood Mac. It is soo different then my collection. I don't really hide them, but they are not on my public playlists. They remind me of my childhood.

Shifty
Nov 5, 2003, 03:02 PM
Puff is acceptable as long as he is just the background of Shyne, Biggie, or possibly Loon...Please tell me you fall under that exception...

Yeah, I aggree. ;)

AndrewMT
Nov 5, 2003, 04:16 PM
Every Star Trek and Star Wars track from every movie.

carlmac
Nov 5, 2003, 06:52 PM
Can't believe im submitting this...

Aubrey by Bread :eek:

There I said it.

Old girlfriend...don't ask.

SeaFox
Nov 6, 2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by phasornc
Umm... pulls out his iPod and scrolls through it:

-The Polyphonic Spree (from the Pod Unite commercial)
-Most songs featured on Mitsubishi commercials

Oh yeah and I just found some Enya in there too, so I guess I'm completely emasculated

Yeah, I have the Polyphonic Spree song from 'Pods Unite', too.
And the mix of Dirty Vegas's "Days Go By" that was used in the Mitubishi Eclipse commercial,

... and T Rex's "20th Century Boy."

... and ... Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is a Place on Earth"

and, gee maybe I do have more skeleton's in my closet.

I should look through here more carefully.

Edit: Isn't it ironic the song from the 'Pod's Unite' commercial isn't available on the iTMS?

szark
Nov 6, 2003, 12:45 AM
Finally thought of a song on my iPod I consider worthy to be in this thread:

"Flash," from a cassette tape of songs inspired by "The Dukes of Hazzard." (Song sung by James Best -- Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane)

That said, I've also got some Avril and Britney :eek: tunes...

RobVanDam
Nov 7, 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
Puff is (yeah) acceptable as long as (uh-huh) he is just the background (wut) of Shyne, Biggie, or possibly (cant stop) Loon...Please tell me you fall (wont stop) under that (yeah) exception...

LOL, yea, exactly.

But imagine a whole CD of that...*shudders*

Dangerboy
Nov 8, 2003, 03:19 AM
Embarassing stuff that I'd be stammering to explain to the hot chick with the pierced eyebrow in the goth makeup behind the counter, if I were to have bought this (and did, in some cases) at Tower Records --

1) The Grease soundtrack
2) Various (meaning so many it's embarassing) Britney Spears tracks
3) Various Christina Agulera tracks
4) Loverboy's In Your Eyes (you know, from the Top Gun soundtrack)
5) The Outfield's All the Love in the World and Your Love
6) ABBA Gold
7) More ABBA Gold
8) Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
9) Bizarre Inc.'s I'm Gonna Get You
10) Debbie Gibson's Lost in Your Eyes
11) Night Ranger's Sister Christian
12) The three-disc Robotech soundtrack
13) Spice Girls' Wannabe
14) Various themes from Japanese Anime

I really do listen to cool music. Honest!

scem0
Nov 8, 2003, 11:51 PM
A bitchload of Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera songs. Well only about 16 combined.

I really like vocal music that is a challenge to sing along with.

I have papercut too V (and about 20 other LP songs), its a great song. :)

scem0

SeaFox
Nov 9, 2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by scem0
I have papercut too V (and about 20 other LP songs), its a great song. :)

The only Linkin Park songs I have are "Krwing" and "My December".

Oh, I do have a couple Blink-182 songs. But not new stuff, from their older hits.

Macco
Nov 9, 2003, 01:15 PM
Grease
Moulin Rouge
Billy Joel Greatest Hits

All great albums, but not that you'd want other people to know you have.

Jetson
Nov 9, 2003, 04:17 PM
Funny, but very few here seem interested in Latin or soul/r&b. Mostly satanic metal and David Bowie. I wonder what the demographics of the DailyTunes user base are? And what about "Linus & Lucy" being number one for over a week now? Go figure.

Freakk123
Nov 9, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Jetson
And what about "Linus & Lucy" being number one for over a week now? Go figure.
Linus & Lucy is a GREAT SONG! Should be in the top ten of everyones library. But anyway:
2 Grammy CDs, with songs from people like:
-Monica
-Backstreet Boys
-Christina Aguilera
-Britney Spears
And others of that sort. Damn. I never realized the amount of terrible music on my iPod!

Awimoway
Nov 17, 2003, 02:13 AM
Blondie
Phil Collins
a LOT of New Age music (but I did throw away my Yanni CD :D)
music tracks I pulled from the Medal of Honor game and listen to for fun

gwuMACaddict
Nov 17, 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by szark

"Flash," from a cassette tape of songs inspired by "The Dukes of Hazzard." (Song sung by James Best -- Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane)

this might be the funnist thing i've seen on here in a while. and now i'm dieing to hear it! hahaha.

i will admit to way too many backstreet boys songs. and two hilary duff. why is pop music so embarassing...?

diniscorreia
Nov 17, 2003, 10:25 AM
I do have lots of reasons to feel embarassed... let's see:

- Christina Aguilera (it's just a single...)
- Britney
- Mariah Carey (some old stuff)
- Justin Timberlake (don't ask!...)
- Even BEYONCÉ! :eek:
- Kylie Minogue (ok, it is my ultimate guilty pleasure)

Embarassing albuns:
- Moulin Rouge
- ABBA: Definitive collection

Songs:
- Physical (Olivia Newton-Jones)
- What a Felling (Irene Cara)
- I Feel Loved (Donna Summer)

I think I might need rehab treatment... :rolleyes:

howard
Nov 17, 2003, 11:26 PM
lovefool by the cardigans

what can i say?

polyesterlester
Nov 18, 2003, 02:28 AM
Ben (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=381432&selectedItemId=381428) by a young Michael Jackson.

Awimoway
Nov 18, 2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by howard

what can i say?

I should be embarrassed that I have that?

Uh, I mean, yeah that would be embarrassing.

:p

eyelikeart
Nov 18, 2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by howard

what can i say?

eh...no good...it's on the Romeo & Juliet Soundtrack...which is a great album IMO... ;)

howard
Nov 18, 2003, 09:20 AM
yeah but its total pop music, which i don't listen too, its so cheesy

i suppose you kinda have to know the person to see if what is in his playlist truly doesn't belong

added: yeah i went back through my playlist and this is the ONLY song that i am slightly embarassed at having on my playlist...its the only one that i have thought of deleted in fear of people finding out i have it

tazo
Nov 18, 2003, 11:19 PM
a couple of boyband and enya songs grace my hard drive ;)

jbembe
Nov 19, 2003, 12:24 AM
I bought some Michael Jackson songs on iTMS, there I said it.

We also have the muppets and John Denver, but its not *mine*.

I also bought several Busta Rhymes songs...

And yes my wife finally embarrased me enought to return my best of mariah carey CD, but we still have her Christmas album.

(...with my boyfriend, my dancing boyfriend...)

NOOOOOOO

Ambrose Chapel
Nov 19, 2003, 04:45 PM
as a music snob, it pains me to say that i love clocks by coldplay (except for the middle/bridge part). the lone cp song in the library..

MattG
Nov 19, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
as a music snob, it pains me to say that i love clocks by coldplay (except for the middle/bridge part). the lone cp song in the library.. I'm a music snob too, and I can understand why you'd say that, however I think Coldplay is an exception to the 'if it's on MTV it's probably garbage' rule. They're a very good band.

Anyway, guilty pleasures...

The Dixie Chicks -- the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Ambrose Chapel
Nov 19, 2003, 05:55 PM
originally posted by MattG
I'm a music snob too, and I can understand why you'd say that, however I think Coldplay is an exception to the 'if it's on MTV it's probably garbage' rule. They're a very good band.

i borrowed that album from a friend and can't say i liked it very much...i prefer doves as my post-radiohead britpop band of choice. ;)

applebum
Nov 21, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Dangerboy
6) ABBA Gold
7) More ABBA Gold

Hey - ABBA shouldn't be on this list! They are COOL. That is some classic music - hold your head up high Dangerboy.

Dangerboy
Nov 22, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by applebum
Hey - ABBA shouldn't be on this list! They are COOL. That is some classic music - hold your head up high Dangerboy.

Well, it's more respectable than the Britney and Christina tracks I have on my 'pod. :D

howard
Nov 24, 2003, 12:02 AM
ok...got another

andreas vollenweider..the album white winds..

come on now, its relaxing...and very beautiful music...even if is practically yanni

szark
Nov 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
this might be the funnist thing i've seen on here in a while. and now i'm dieing to hear it! hahaha.

Well, it was released on CD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000I02T/102-1677339-9970538?v=glance). :D

Island Roots
Nov 25, 2003, 12:17 AM
Lion King - Hakuna Matata :D

El Dandy
Dec 15, 2003, 11:35 AM
There is nothing wrong with Avril Lavigne! I downloaded her iTMS live EP...sorry.

Tequila Grandma
Dec 15, 2003, 02:09 PM
OHHHHHH YEAH:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001DZO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...and:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004TH4J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
(A hilariously wonderful pop song)

South of Heaven
Dec 29, 2003, 10:57 AM
I have both of Shalira's albums I bought from iTMS.

I think its the way she dances.

Anyway, If you saw my library of Metal, mroe metal classic blus and classical you woudl see why it deons't fit and I am embarassed to own.

jensternh
Jan 4, 2004, 09:40 PM
Let's see... Being a chick, I don't have a stigma associated with having Britney or Kylie Minogue on my playlist, however, I've got some shlocky stuff in here...

Autograph - Turn up the Radio
Chris DeBurgh - Don't Pay the Ferryman
Charlene - I've Never Been to Me
Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie
Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe (a BIG guilty pleasure)
Ides of March - Vehicle

Oh, and that Lionel Richie shopping spree I had on iTMS one night (no, I wasn't drunk)...

mms
Jan 9, 2004, 11:11 PM
Diana Ross - Stop! In the name of love
Avril
Aguilera

shameful

BaghdadBob
Jan 13, 2004, 11:03 AM
vniow -- you are right to be shy about your Linkin Park songs. They suck. At least you know that ;)

As for me, on the first day of iTMS I accidentally clicked on a Mariah Carey song. Don't remember what it was, but I deleted that crap later on once I figured there was never a chance of getting my 99˘ back.

But, although I regularly tell guys who say they like techno to come out of the closet I have some of that in my library...and that "come out of the closet" bit is based on personal experience with guys who prefer techno. Believe me.

I guess in normal conversation I usually don't discuss the fact that I rock DMX. But I do.

If I still had it my dirtiest secret would be the Puffy EP with "All About the Benjamins" remix on it. That song kicked, but the stupid EP was censored. I hate P-Diddy.

noxes
Jan 14, 2004, 02:06 AM
All out of Love by Air Supply - just a catchy tune.

dave1234
Jan 19, 2004, 10:27 PM
The only song that I somewhat try to keep underwraps is...
"Hold On" by Good Charlotte.