Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I am thinking of buying the book Sagmeister: Made You Look but I'm not so sure of it. What can you tell me about the book? What makes it such a great book? Just curious about it. Tell me everything you can about it!

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Well, nobody told me anything about this book, I didn't buy it, and now I can't find a copy of it for under $100. That's just wonderful!

Z.Beeblebrox

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
NJ / NYC
Hasn't that book been out of print for ages? I've seen it, it's a nice read if you're into his work and want to get the history behind the man. The book is like a play by play commentary through Sagmeister's greatest projects and collaborations. It's like stepping inside his mind and seeing how the gears fit together. Interesting, inspirational and thought provoking. But if you're thinking it's the holy grail of graphic design, it's probably not (and definitely not worth plunking down $100+ for, unless you have unlimited cash flow or are a collector). There are other, cheaper ways to get inspiration or read up on other innovative designers in the field. Trade publications, design conferences and industry websites all have excellent resources from the very latest and greatest creatives. If you're still looking into Sagmeister, check out some of the other books he has collaborated on.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Stefan+Sagmeister

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Hasn't that book been out of print for ages? I've seen it, it's a nice read if you're into his work and want to get the history behind the man. The book is like a play by play commentary through Sagmeister's greatest projects and collaborations. It's like stepping inside his mind and seeing how the gears fit together. Interesting, inspirational and thought provoking. But if you're thinking it's the holy grail of graphic design, it's probably not (and definitely not worth plunking down $100+ for, unless you have unlimited cash flow or are a collector). There are other, cheaper ways to get inspiration or read up on other innovative designers in the field. Trade publications, design conferences and industry websites all have excellent resources from the very latest and greatest creatives. If you're still looking into Sagmeister, check out some of the other books he has collaborated on.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Stefan+Sagmeister

Thanks for the reply Z.Beeblebrox. It looks like to me there have been a few different publishers of this book. It's now at $110 on Amazon (for the first printing) and $200 (for the more recent printing). I guess that I will have to pass on owning this book. I'll continue to watch and see if it just so happens to have a listing for anything less than what I'm seeing now. Anyway, thanks again! Oh, BTW, I don't feel so bad now after reading what you have to say about it. :p

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I own the book and its great.... Tons of useful and interesting reading.. grab it if you can...

Can'f find it for under $100 in the US. I found it over in the UK (maybe), but it's like $72 with the shipping. I'll wait and see if I can find it for less.

miguel mouse!

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
might be due to the release of his new book, Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far.

keep looking for a copy, its worth it. in the meantime check out the q&a section of sagmeister.com for inspiration.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
might be due to the release of his new book, Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far.

keep looking for a copy, its worth it. in the meantime check out the q&a section of sagmeister.com for inspiration.

I've read some of it. I think tomorrow I'm going to be calling the local book stores to see if they can chase down a copy. Amazon had a copy for about $34 a month ago. I was going to buy it then, but decided not to. Now I'm mad!

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Just thought I'd post another update. I placed an special order with a book store across the country in hopes that they'd be able to get a copy. The guy on the phone said there is a good chance they won't be able to get one as they are going directly to the publisher for this one. The total after tax will be like $53, if they can get it.

And here is the better news. I checked Amazon again out of curiosity while browsing other titles and just about messed myself. A new copy of the book for $45.40+3.99 shipping. I hit add to cart in a hurry, that's for sure! So, now I have one that will be shipping within a couple days for sure. It is coming from another seller, but they have 4.8 out of 5 stars on their user rating based on 71436 ratings, so no worries there really. I'm excited.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
just an FYI - i saw Sagmeister lecture at RISD last nite and i gotta say - it was pretty darn good.

Nice. I did end up finding a copy of his book as I mentioned. I wish I had gotten it a week before I did. I could have turned my ordinary project into something extraordinary! There is a lot of stuff in the book I could have gone without seeing, like all the nude pictures of himself. After seeing his book I think to myself, what can I do to make my projects unique? He is definitely a thinker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.