Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
The Wall Street Journal said:
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
March 12, 2008 2:51 p.m.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Apple Inc. (AAPL) faces a patent infringement lawsuit filed by privately held ZapMedia Services Inc. related to Apple's iTunes software and iPod media player.

ZapMedia alleges patents for its system allowing the distribution of media assets to user devices were infringed when Apple unveiled its iPod MP3 player with the integrated iTunes software application in October of 2001 and iTunes store in April 2003.

According to ZapMedia, the lawsuit comes after multiple attempts by the company to resolve concerns of patent infringement with Apple.
In addition, ZapMedia claims it made Apple aware of the patents and their availability for license, and is entitled to a "reasonable royalty" on Apple's revenue related to the infringement.

An Apple representative said it is company policy not to comment on litigation.

-Nicholas Hatcher; Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5400

Check this out.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
What's that noise of drums and wheel rim on cobble? Oh, it's the scheduled bandwagon. :cool:

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA

Good article Counterfit. It really strikes me how vague the patent actually is. Yet, how close to looks to model what the iTunes platform has become.

We'll see what happens, but I would have to imagine the Apple lawyers are trying to figure out how solid the legal challenge can and will be.

I do believe that it does show how patents have just gone awry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.