Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England
I've dabbled with the idea of getting a graphics tablet for a while, on and off.

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work. I'm wondering about getting a Wacom Bamboo?

What sizes would work well with my screen? Can anyone recommend a particular model of wacom/bamboo for this setup?

Cheers :)

macreation

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Go Wide!

I've dabbled with the idea of getting a graphics tablet for a while, on and off.

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work. I'm wondering about getting a Wacom Bamboo?

What sizes would work well with my screen? Can anyone recommend a particular model of wacom/bamboo for this setup?

Cheers :)

Having owned an A6 and A4 Tablet I would say bigger is better when it comes to using a tablet for any illustration or design.

I currently use an A4 intuos3 Wacom and its probably a little on the large side for my purposes (Mainly 2D (CS3 Suite) with a little 3D). If you can afford to, I would advise you to buy a Wide A5 Intuos3 (16:10). Having used one at my previous job working on a 20" ACD, it was fantastic to use. Perfect for widescreen monitors.

Although you can tweak the settings to fit if you went for a non-widescreen tablet.

Best of luck! :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work.

I would go wide as stated but also make sure you take about 1/2 hr. to setup the tablet to your screen so that your arm isn't overworking with the tablet. I had to do this with my 9x12 Wacom and my 20" iMac because I was going all over making my jesters and it felt odd at first. Once it was setup better (I actually had taken the time to do it) I have been way more comfortable drawing than before.
30" and a tablet :cool: just like in drawing class only it's digital, bring on the hologram models :D And enjoy your choice, you'll love it once you use it for a few days in a row.

DrBurke

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I recntly bought an A6 Wacom Bamboo to try out and get the feel of and I love it. Mainly been used for rendering scanned in artwork. The size is a little tricky to get the hang of at first as you do get disoriantated at times but once in the flow it works well.

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
IMHO. But I think the extra pressure levels plus all the function keys make the intuous better than the bamboo. I prefer medium sized tablets so I don't have to make huge gestures to get around the screen- I've been using a 6x11" intuous.

You've got a 30acd... What's a few extra bucks?
;)

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England
Has anyone tried both?

I'm torn …*Intuos does have more features to its name, but I wouldn't like to think I'd be paying an extra £200 or so for things I won't necessarily use…

The Bamboo seems to offer an A6 wide, and Intuos an A5 wide…

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Has anyone tried both?

I'm torn …*Intuos does have more features to its name, but I wouldn't like to think I'd be paying an extra £200 or so for things I won't necessarily use…

The Bamboo seems to offer an A6 wide, and Intuos an A5 wide…

Get a Bamboo. Since after a while you'll only want to use a tablet, if you see it's not enough, you'll be able to buy an Intuos and assign the Bamboo to some other computer of yours. Plus, it's good to have a smaller tablet to take with you.

For $89 (or whatever it costs) it's one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Apemanblues

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Zombieland
I Haven't used a Bamboo, but I did originally start with a small inexpensive Graphire2. The Graphire was awesome. I was amazed how much I could do with such a small tablet (the active area was about a the size of a postcard).

I naturally upgraded to an A4 sized intuous 3 after a few years, because I wanted the extra room and capabilities, and you may do too, but for your first tablet I cannot see how you can go wrong with one of the small inexpensive ones.

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England
I think I'll grab a Bamboo, then :)

Many thanks for all the input! If there's any experiences that differ from 'woohoo this rocks' then I'll be sure to stick them in here in the future ;)

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.